follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #155
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbanger View Post
Thats how I roll.

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #156
Gearbanger

Drives: Lexus is300 celica gts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just playing I would keep it stock . . .as long as its toyota lol!
Gearbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #157
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourFearlessLeader View Post
This is coming from a guy who worked in Scion, and has now moved up to Toyota.
There's a subliminal message in this sentence. "Moved up" suggests what most people think. That is Scion is secondary (inferior?) to Toyota. I can't believe they would take this vehicle and make a sub citizen out of it.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #158
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
There's a subliminal message in this sentence. "Moved up" suggests what most people think. That is Scion is secondary (inferior?) to Toyota. I can't believe they would take this vehicle and make a sub citizen out of it.
Well, what I meant is that within their heirarchy, you move up from Scion to Toyota, to Lexus. A lexus regional manager will make more than a scion regional rep. Lexus also sells more cars. So, making more money, and moving to a bigger market... I consider that a promotion AKA moving up
Old 12-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #159
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Don't misunderstand me. I'm not criticizing. I'm stating what is probably obvious to 99.9% of car buyers and that is that Scion is considered subordinate to Toyota. Whether they are or not is immaterial. It wouldn't make sense for them to badge their new product with what is considered an inferior badge. They'd be further ahead badging it as a Lexus.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #160
jay4prez
The Inquisitor

Drives: 92 Celica GT Convertible
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jay4prez Send a message via Yahoo to jay4prez
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
Don't misunderstand me. I'm not criticizing. I'm stating what is probably obvious to 99.9% of car buyers and that is that Scion is considered subordinate to Toyota. Whether they are or not is immaterial. It wouldn't make sense for them to badge their new product with what is considered an inferior badge. They'd be further ahead badging it as a Lexus.
Of course that wouldnt make sense because even the lowest priced lexus is at 30k and above. so All in all, I see this being a toyota toyota as it fits there best, that and I dont see anyone looking to buy a lexus sports car purchasing this when they have the money for an isf
jay4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #161
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra

Soooo........ Toyota Sports 2000? Or would Honda get mad?
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #162
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post

Soooo........ Toyota Sports 2000? Or would Honda get mad?
Nah~. They Stop makin' S2k. I'm pretty sure Toyota can name it S2k. So ppl ask what car you have. You say "I have S2k. Not the Honda S2k, but Toyota S2k."
Old 12-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #163
Rotarydisciple

Drives: 2004 Mazda Rx8
I would hate to see them badge this car as a Scion. I personally am not a fan of Scion and think that they would diminish this car if they do that. I say they bring back the Celica name. The Celica was always a cheap fun sports car, thats my opinion.
Rotarydisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:03 AM   #164
mike2100

Drives: 23 BRZ
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspera View Post
It *could* be sold as a Toyota, Subaru, AND a Scion. But I pretty much agree with White Comet.

I'd remove the ugly chromed plastic badges on the first day just like most of you would. I might swap the caps on the wheels to SAAB, though...just to mess with people.

Why does Toyota have such an ugly logo? Ovals are almost always a bad idea. Especially on a car. Cars always have circular wheels. Cars rarely have ovals anywhere...and when they do...you end up with Ford Taurus rear windows or Dodge Neon headlights. Toyota didn't even make an aerodynamic looking oval like Ford. They made a big, fat one. Wrong. Wrong Wrong.

I like the old school ALL CAPS "TOYOTA" logo. The FT-86 should have these letters in the grill, not a chromed plastic upside-down cowboy hat on the hood.
I'm sorry, this is an old post but LOL! Bring back all caps toyota and call the damn thing a Sprinter.
mike2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #165
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
That last comment is spot on.

Scion is dying because of the lame products. The brand was supposed to refresh every 3-4 years. The tC has been here for going on 5. It needs to be replaced stat. The XB needs to go back to it's roots. Got it right the first time, trashed it with the second (although I think in modded form it is aesthetically pleasing, it is too heavy.) With respect to the engine, they could have slapped the JDM trd turbo on it instead of upping the size to 2.4L....

Total mis-steps and poor management all round. So not Toyota... who the hell is responsible for Scion management?!?!?

The xD and the Yaris compete directly with each other. Why a 5 door Yaris exists, it don't know. A 3 door and the Sedan would have been just fine.

Somebody needs to get off their Laurels and git er done. iQ, new tC, better xB and expand the line to include some kinda light-roader like a Suzuki samurai. Make up your mind if you are gonna keep selling a Yaris 5 door or the xD, because both aren't gonna cut it.

Scion was never supposed to move more than 100k-300k FOR THE WHOLE BRAND. It's quirkiness made it sell well in it's first few years. Then they tried to sell cars to everybody. Totally lost the f'king plot.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #166
mike2100

Drives: 23 BRZ
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm beginning to not care what they call it as long as the 86 formula remains. Small, light, low power, balanced, RWD, no extra gizmos to break, no sunroof. Hatchback would be nice but whichever configuration (hatch/coupe) lends more to agility is fine with me.
mike2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #167
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2100 View Post
I'm beginning to not care what they call it as long as the 86 formula remains. Small, light, low power, balanced, RWD, no extra gizmos to break, no sunroof. Hatchback would be nice but whichever configuration (hatch/coupe) lends more to agility is fine with me.
I think it definitely matters what it's called. I think that in regards to the above article, if it's a Scion then people will just pass over it, no matter what it offers, thereby not selling enough to keep the car around for those of us that are going to purchase it. It needs to have staying power so that the aftermarket catches it and runs with it. The more the car sells the better for us, the enthusiast crowd, so naming this thing is not a small task. In fact, it's a huge one that could directly affect sales of the car.

These guys need to get their heads out of their asses and if their not in their ass, keep it that way and do right by the market they are trying to reach with this car.

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #168
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourFearlessLeader View Post
A lot of you guys are right about the aftermarket support for Scions, however, you guys are DEAD wrong about the parts for the tC at dealerships. As far as I know, all TRD superchargers have been discontinued due to the fact that they werent selling. Also, every other TRD performance part for the scion is rebranded from something else. TRD springs are Eibach, TRD intake is AEM, and the LSD is Qualife.
My TRD wheels are Rays/Volk. Sweet.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote