follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Which jab have you had?
Pfizer 53 51.96%
Moderna 27 26.47%
Johnson & Johnson 6 5.88%
AstraZeneca 4 3.92%
Novavax 0 0%
Sputnik 1 0.98%
Convidecia 0 0%
Homebrew with a big dose of something special 11 10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 05:18 PM   #519
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,563 Times in 18,950 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
isn't it supposed to be 'Know nothing'?
lol "Ain't got shit"

I did not see that. Thx.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:40 PM   #520
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This one says only 16% of nursing home doses have been administered to staff and residents.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/6575508002/
Old 01-09-2021, 08:05 PM   #521
Irace86.2.0

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...d-deaths-surge

Morgues, mortuaries and hospitals are having a problem dealing with the large number of bodies.

Old 01-09-2021, 08:26 PM   #522
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,315 Times in 8,646 Posts
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...d-deaths-surge

Morgues, mortuaries and hospitals are having a problem dealing with the large number of bodies.

California has had other priorities on spending for decades than to have adequate facilities for the giant population.

Clinics, emergency rooms, and morgues have plenty of room here in Idaho. In fact, they are empty even with the highest covid numbers yet.

Funny.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:32 PM   #523
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
California has had other priorities on spending for decades than to have adequate facilities for the giant population.

Clinics, emergency rooms, and morgues have plenty of room here in Idaho. In fact, they are empty even with the highest covid numbers yet.

Funny.
Which part of California are you referring to? According to the following article, Idaho has 1.9 staffed hospital beds per 1000 and California has 1.8 beds, so how is Idaho's facilities so much more adequate?

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...opulation.html

South Dakota has 4.8 beds per 1000, and they have been utterly destroyed by the pandemic, and they don't have the population mass or density that California or areas like LA have, so we should expect LA to be much, much worse.

Northern California hospitals are not as overwhelmed as LA. We are full like we are most times of the year, and we have a lot of COVID patients, but we aren't overwhelmed. If total volume was higher, and if we had to deal with the flu like normal then it would be bad, but we are handling things now. People are avoiding the ER if they can. As you can see by the next link, Northern California has 27% ICU capacity. We just don't have the population density of the other areas. Our cases in Sonoma County continue to be high, even compared to San Francisco at times, mainly because we have a large hispanic community here that has been hit hard, but again, we lack the population density to spread the virus as fast.

https://www.kcra.com/article/heres-a...id-19/34875735

A deeper dive into the numbers show that the numbers are skewed to LA. California had 47,398 cases today and 460 deaths, but a third of the cases and half the deaths occurred in LA, with 16,766 cases and 221 deaths, yet LA county has only a quarter of California's population. If LA county had California's population then it would have had 65k+ cases and 875+ deaths. If Idaho had LA's population then Idaho would have had 5,470 cases to LA's 16,766, so 30% of LA's cases, and they would have had 28 deaths to LA's 221, so 13% of LA's deaths, which is why Idaho's hospital, morgues and mortuaries aren't as strained. It isn't because Idaho has more facilities. Like the rural parts of California, Idaho isn't spreading the virus as much.

The other factor is that Idaho hit more of a peak back in late November like South Dakota did in early November during the midwest surge, which caused them to prepare sooner and to get through the bulk of their cases before the winter surge that happens every year (so it is false that Idaho is seeing the highest COVID cases yet).This wasn't strategic. It was tragic, but the unintended consequence is staggering the events versus stacking the events like LA is seeing now.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2021, 09:54 PM   #524
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Which part of California are you referring to? According to the following article, Idaho has 1.9 staffed hospital beds per 1000 and California has 1.8 beds, so how is Idaho's facilities so much more adequate?

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...opulation.html

South Dakota has 4.8 beds per 1000, and they have been utterly destroyed by the pandemic, and they don't have the population mass or density that California or areas like LA have, so we should expect LA to be much, much worse.

Northern California hospitals are not as overwhelmed as LA. We are full like we are most times of the year, and we have a lot of COVID patients, but we aren't overwhelmed. If total volume was higher, and if we had to deal with the flu like normal then it would be bad, but we are handling things now. People are avoiding the ER if they can. As you can see by the next link, Northern California has 27% ICU capacity. We just don't have the population density of the other areas. Our cases in Sonoma County continue to be high, even compared to San Francisco at times, mainly because we have a large hispanic community here that has been hit hard, but again, we lack the population density to spread the virus as fast.

https://www.kcra.com/article/heres-a...id-19/34875735

A deeper dive into the numbers show that the numbers are skewed to LA. California had 47,398 cases today and 460 deaths, but a third of the cases and half the deaths occurred in LA, with 16,766 cases and 221 deaths, yet LA county has only a quarter of California's population. If LA county had California's population then it would have had 65k+ cases and 875+ deaths. If Idaho had LA's population then Idaho would have had 5,470 cases to LA's 16,766, so 30% of LA's cases, and they would have had 28 deaths to LA's 221, so 13% of LA's deaths, which is why Idaho's hospital, morgues and mortuaries aren't as strained. It isn't because Idaho has more facilities. Like the rural parts of California, Idaho isn't spreading the virus as much.

The other factor is that Idaho hit more of a peak back in late November like South Dakota did in early November during the midwest surge, which caused them to prepare sooner and to get through the bulk of their cases before the winter surge that happens every year (so it is false that Idaho is seeing the highest COVID cases yet).This wasn't strategic. It was tragic, but the unintended consequence is staggering the events versus stacking the events like LA is seeing now.
Idaho is just better I guess.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:54 PM   #525
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,134 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
There seems to be a problem with having a little bit of knowledge and being smart, such that a person thinks they are informed.

I have read of a similar cognitive malfunction whose label I cannot remember/find. It is closely related to the D-K Effect.
It goes along something like this: stupid people over estimate their capabilities while experts under-estimate their ability in their field. That is, the experts know how much they don't know so they down play what they do know. I don't mean they are modest, just that they know more than they think they do.

P.S. It turns out the under-estimation of ability by experts is part of the D-K Effect.

Last edited by Captain Snooze; 01-09-2021 at 10:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 09:57 PM   #526
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I have read of a similar cognitive malfunction whose label I cannot remember/find. It is closely related to the D-K Effect.
It goes along something like this: stupid people over estimate their capabilities while experts under-estimate their ability in their field. That is, the experts know how much they don't know so they down play what they do know. I don't mean they are modest, just that they know more than they think they do.
Heavy man.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:03 PM   #527
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,481 Times in 3,211 Posts
Quote:
This one says only 16% of nursing home doses have been administered to staff and residents.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/6575508002/
Last I heard (about a week ago) my grandfather's dose was still at least a few weeks away. He's in the hospice part of a retirement/care facility and in his 90's, so he meets all the criteria.. (he's in California as well)
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 10:05 PM   #528
Irace86.2.0

I think it is worth mentioning that hospitals routinely go to capacity this time of year. The cold weather causes a number of problems that cause hospitals to surge. There is the flu and other respiratory infections, COPD exacerbations, cold allergies/asthma and pneumonia. Stress related blood pressure issues, heart attacks, aneurisms, etc. There are more diabetic ulcers and necrotic complications with circulation issues because of the cold. There are more behavioral and psych issues. We see more drinking and homeless visits. I could go on.

We often have a full ICU and are holding ICU patients in the ER. We often go on "treat and transfer" or "treat and hold". Sometimes we have gone on divert. Here are a few articles talking about the bad 2018 flu season. The difference now is that these conditions are that much worse, even if flu cases are dramatically down, and non-COVID ER visits are down, and places aren't doing elective surgeries, and people are sheltering at home, wearing masks and actively avoiding healthcare facilities if they can. In spite of those things, it is bad in many places, and deaths are totally out of control compared to the norm. And what is worse, is that there is a pandemic that has the potential to rage further beyond the current levels, and there is little bandwidth to accommodate the current surge, let alone more surging. Back in 2018, we may have had full hospitals, but the hospitals hadn't exhausted all options, nor was society doing anything to modify their behavior.

I recall telling coworkers that the worst is yet to come, but few people believed it would surge worse, so I don't think there was aggressive planning at all. That would have cost more money, and hospitals didn't want to spend if they didn't have to spend. We had put up a COVID testing tent in case testing surged to our ER, but some homeless people shit in the trash can and wrecked the tent, and we had enough county support that testing didn't overwhelm our ER. Our hospital has around a quarter of the patients COVID positive, and we have expanded our COVID units, but we aren't strained like LA. We will see if it gets worse.

2018 Articles:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...safety-concern

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...-outbreak.html
Dadhawk (01-11-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 10:10 PM   #529
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,481 Times in 3,211 Posts
Quote:

P.S. It turns out the under-estimation of ability by experts is part of the D-K Effect.
In my field we call that job security . Plus sometimes that second statement is a half-truth, and they _know_ they know more, but can spin it as though they do not.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
Old 01-09-2021, 10:22 PM   #530
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Idaho is just better I guess.
I'm pretty sure that is not the case, but it could be the case. Anything is possible. It is entirely possible Idaho is harboring some of the best intellectual minds in medicine, and perhaps they have the most advanced facilities in the nation. Anything is possible. Maybe there is something in the potatoes.

California does have 5 hospitals in the top 20. Just saying.

1. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
2. Cleveland Clinic
3. Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
4. New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia and Cornell, New York, NY (tie)
4. UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles (tie)
6. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
7. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
8. UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
9. NYU Langone Hospitals, New York, NY
10. Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago
11. University of Michigan Hospitals-Michigan Medicine, Ann Arbor
12. Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston
13. Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital, Palo Alto, California
14. Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
15. Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian, Philadelphia
16. Mayo Clinic-Phoenix
17. Rush University Medical Center, Chicago
18. Barnes-Jewish Hospital, Saint Louis (tie)
18. Keck Medical Center of USC, Los Angeles (tie)
20. Houston Methodist Hospital

https://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/pr...or-health-care
Old 01-09-2021, 10:28 PM   #531
Irace86.2.0

Quote:

They are modest. Scientists are some of the most modest people, especially around their peers. Science is full of language and checks and balances designed to humble someone. Besides that fact, people with PHDs aren't that intelligent. The average person with a PHD has an IQ of 110. Where as, the average MD has an IQ of 130 or something. They are just studious, dedicated and hard working. Their expertise isn't derived from some innate ability like a physician's memory or processing power or like an athlete's physique.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:38 PM   #532
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Last I heard (about a week ago) my grandfather's dose was still at least a few weeks away. He's in the hospice part of a retirement/care facility and in his 90's, so he meets all the criteria.. (he's in California as well)
Only 16% of the available doses have been administered, which is different than saying 16% of staff and residents have been given a dose. Another way of saying it is that 84% of staff and residents have refused the vaccine who have been offered the vaccine in cases where it was made available to them. Still another way of saying it is that for every 100 doses that have been given to these facilities, 84 of them are still sitting in the freezers. Your grandfather wouldn't be counted because he isn't a person who has refused a vaccine or offered a vaccine yet.

The article does say the numbers are lower than what is actually the case because there is a delay in reporting who refused a dose.
spike021 (01-09-2021)
Closed Thread

Tags
eagle5 got sandy vag, tread harder daddy, tylerlieberman is a cuck