follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
kwest.papajohns

Drives: red frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New 2015 Firestorm FRS. Compared to 09 Cobalt SS & GTO. PICS

First off let me say I'm glad to be a part of ft86club. I have been on a few forums before and they are usually full of great information and members.
I just leased a 2015 firestorm frs. (I usually don't like to drive the same car more then 3 years so leasing for me is perfect) I was able to get the scion drive off lease deal. $0 down $0 fees $0 first month. $385 (gap and damage coverage included) I plan to keep it almost stock as well.

-This car is amazing! I actually did the whole deal without even test driving it before I already knew what this car was. I'm 5'8" so the cockpit is perfect for me. The overall balance and power to weight ratio is excellent.
-My first sports car was a 2009 Cobalt SS which had over 5k in mods... at the end I was at 317whp/380wtq. This car was very fast and also handled amazing. But as everyone knows fwd just gets old... So that brings me to my next car; a 2004 Pontiac GTO. Purchased for 15k with only 18k Miles! This car was very very well built. It was like a luxury muscle car. Vehicle was 100% stock. Over time I just got tired of only going fast in a straight line. This car was a boat around corners..and gas millage wasn't that great either. Overall I could not be happier with my FRS choice. It was between this and a used 335i, g8 gt, or mustang 5.0. You cant beat having a brand new car with all maintenance included also!
-I have already replaced all scion emblems with Toyota, removed the frs badge, Toyota wheel caps on the way, and also H11 hid kit from retrofitsource.com. I plan to also upgrade the wheels and tires after I burn through this set!
-Hope you enjoy all the pictures!
Attached Images

kwest.papajohns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwest.papajohns For This Useful Post:
CarzCarzCarz (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Too late now but for future reference:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30
Old 04-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
CarzCarzCarz

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Welcome to the 86 family. Nice collection of cars before, and thanks for the insight into each one.
CarzCarzCarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:38 PM   #4
svtfever

Drives: 14 GMC Sierra SLE CC 4x4.
the red looks so good. I cat wait to get one. still debating on what color.
svtfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:16 PM   #5
Ddreder

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 1990 Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome and congrats on the red. I am very jealous.. I am sure you are enjoying the interior quality over GM crap.. I dont think I could buy a GM vehicle made before 2012. It seems like that was when they started getting there shit together lol. Also I think we might all need to re assess the definition of sports car. Not that the cobalt SS isnt a good car (I wont even go int that.. ) but yea sports cars.. I am glad to see you finally own one It is going to be hard going back to anything else! The only reason I keep my other two cars around is because one does flaming burnouts and the miata is perfect in every way..
Ddreder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Congrats! Kudos for taking advantage of the lease promotion, I think that's a really good deal.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:39 PM   #7
NeedsWayMorePower

Drives: 2014 FR-S
There's NO comparison between these cars.

The Cobalt SS's only advantage is acceleration, and it's pretty decent around the twisties especially for a fwd car (especially if properly nodded).

The Twins are rwd, have a way better manual transmission, a much better weight distribution, torsen LSD, much better grip, much better styling inside and out, much better fit/finish, sound better, better gauges, better reliability (GM reliability, with few exceptions, is so awful that it's hard to describe adequately)...

...I could go on, but there's no comparison.

I will say one thing about the Twins that is likely to make some people upset, right or wrong (it's my honest opinion, though); the automatic should not have been made given that they seemingly, for whatever reason, couldn't get the rpm peak, HP, or acceleration times (which are weak for the manual transmission, and embarrassing for the automatic) of the manual.

But aside from that, there's just no comparison.
NeedsWayMorePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:43 PM   #8
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsWayMorePower View Post
There's NO comparison between these cars.

The Cobalt SS's only advantage is acceleration, and it's pretty decent around the twisties especially for a fwd car (especially if properly nodded).

The Twins are rwd, have a way better manual transmission, a much better weight distribution, torsen LSD, much better grip, much better styling inside and out, much better fit/finish, sound better, better gauges, better reliability (GM reliability, with few exceptions, is so awful that it's hard to describe adequately)...

...I could go on, but there's no comparison.

I will say one thing about the Twins that is likely to make some people upset, right or wrong (it's my honest opinion, though); the automatic should not have been made given that they seemingly, for whatever reason, couldn't get the rpm peak, HP, or acceleration times (which are weak for the manual transmission, and embarrassing for the automatic) of the manual.

But aside from that, there's just no comparison.
Well it's a good thing that all the problems you've listed for the auto aren't what this car is about. Also, if you haven't driven the auto, I don't think you're in a position to really talk down about it...
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote