follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
FT86 ... AS A SCION???

I wish i had more substance to add to this, but I just heard from a Toyota Rep, that the FT86 will be coming to North America as a Scion. This is coming from a guy who worked in Scion, and has now moved up to Toyota. I can't really tell you if this is 100% happening, but it is some food for though.

If it does come out as a Scion, I dont think we can expect any of the performance goodies that we are anticipating with the Toyo/Sub version.
YourFearlessLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourFearlessLeader View Post
I wish i had more substance to add to this, but I just heard from a Toyota Rep, that the FT86 will be coming to North America as a Scion. This is coming from a guy who worked in Scion, and has now moved up to Toyota. I can't really tell you if this is 100% happening, but it is some food for though.

If it does come out as a Scion, I dont think we can expect any of the performance goodies that we are anticipating with the Toyo/Sub version.
I bet you 2/3 of ppl here gonna be pissed if it's gonna have Scion Badge. rest of the 1/3 don't give a damn if it has Scion, Subaru, Toyota, Mitsubishi or what ever the badge is, they gonna buy it.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
Shevon

Drives: Accord Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
He jus works at the dealership proly....not a credible source if you ask me. But like ichitaka05 said rest of the 1/3 don't give a damn if it has Scion, Subaru, Toyota, Mitsubishi or what ever the badge is, they gonna buy it.
Shevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
rest of the 1/3 don't give a damn if it has Scion, Subaru, Toyota, Mitsubishi or what ever the badge is, they gonna buy it.

I said the exact same thing on another ft-86 forum. count me in as one of the DGAF about the badge people.
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
Beast

Drives: 2001 Celica
Quote:

If it does come out as a Scion, I don't think we can expect any of the performance goodies that we are anticipating with the Toyo/Sub version.
1) Anyone who says they are a Toyota Rep (even if he is your friend) doesn't have any more information than you. You can trust me on this.

2) Putting this under the Scion Brand would be a terrible idea. You want some sort of linear association with the older Corollas, the MR2, Celica, Supra. You don't want to have this associated with the xA or tC.

Now, if they choose to go with Scion, to their credit, that division has way more performance options (at least from the dealership) than the Toyota badge. I'll believe these performance goodies exist when I see them.
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Shevon

Drives: Accord Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post

count me in as one of the DGAF about the badge people.
yep me too.
Shevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevon View Post
He jus works at the dealership proly....not a credible source if you ask me. But like ichitaka05 said rest of the 1/3 don't give a damn if it has Scion, Subaru, Toyota, Mitsubishi or what ever the badge is, they gonna buy it.
He doesnt work at the dealership, he is a regional rep. I have actually met him in person a few times. He is a good guy and I would say a decent credible source. However, as with anything that comes from toyota mouth, only time will tell if its true.l
Old 10-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Garage
I am with you guys though, I don't see this coming out as a Scion. I really feel it will cost too much to produce, and be out of scion customers price point. I also think this would be a stepping stone car, to get people out of scions, back into toyotas, and at a later stage in their life into a lexus.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
man toyota and subaru is making this as a circus making our heads spin no one knows whats the answer its up to the higher up people what ever it is as long as its cheap, rwd light weight and will be sold here in the US thats fine with me ill welcome it. toyota didnt make buzz like this in years (note i say toyota not lexus) last time i saw people excited about toyota was the twin turbo supra no offense on celica and MR2 (MRS)
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
In some aspects this makes sense. The Scion brand is more associated with the youth and the culture of changing/modding/upgrading your car almost immediately as you get it. The brand always has a plethora (I love this word, never use it enough) of goodies to choose from out of catalog, and has a strong aftermarket support as well. (stronger if the FT-86 were brought over as scion).

Not only that, but it preserves the current Toyota image in the U.S. as a reliable, eco-friendly, one-stop shop for your family auto needs auto maker. What this WOULDN'T do is try to revive the Toyota image in the U.S.

Too early to tell honest. Would I be surprised if it was branded as a Scion? Nope. Does that mean I want it to be branded as such? Hell no.

Honestly, however, I'd rather it be a Scion than a Celica, as so many on these boards seems to want it to be called.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
Beast

Quote:
I am with you guys though, I don't see this coming out as a Scion. I really feel it will cost too much to produce, and be out of scion customers price point. I also think this would be a stepping stone car, to get people out of scions, back into toyotas, and at a later stage in their life into a lexus.
Great point. If this were a Scion, why would any kid starting with a Scion move onto a boring (but functional) Toyota?

The FT-86 is a perfect transition vehicle. A gateway car.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #12
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Garage
A lot of you guys are right about the aftermarket support for Scions, however, you guys are DEAD wrong about the parts for the tC at dealerships. As far as I know, all TRD superchargers have been discontinued due to the fact that they werent selling. Also, every other TRD performance part for the scion is rebranded from something else. TRD springs are Eibach, TRD intake is AEM, and the LSD is Qualife.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #13
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevon View Post
yep me too.
+2. Mine will be debaged and shaved day 1.

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #14
Beast

Quote:
A lot of you guys are right about the aftermarket support for Scions, however, you guys are DEAD wrong about the parts for the tC at dealerships. As far as I know, all TRD superchargers have been discontinued due to the fact that they werent selling. Also, every other TRD performance part for the scion is rebranded from something else. TRD springs are Eibach, TRD intake is AEM, and the LSD is Qualife.
The superchargers weren't selling b/c you couldn't finance them and you had to pay Scion to install them. I even think they nullified your warranty. No wonder they didn't sell.

That being said, the Scion dealerships did offer all the rebranded stuff. AT least the lame OBX gearshift knobs weren't rebranded.