follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2016, 06:09 PM   #15
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
What kind of bounce? It could be too much compression or too little rebound... Or something else.
i believe is compression? I usually use only 5 clicks from soft for DD, and it doesnt bounce that much.
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:13 PM   #16
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm not sure high spring rates are the right answer...
They are when the goals are 'low and no rubbing'

Performance really doesn't seem to be in the equation.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-22-2016), wparsons (11-22-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #17
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
They are when the goals are 'low and no rubbing'

Performance really doesn't seem to be in the equation.
20k square? Low and no rubbing would be proper fit or no driving. Or no travel... Which 8/10 won't deliver.

Tracking is in the equation I think, unless I misunderstood.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #18
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
20k square? Low and no rubbing would be proper fit or no driving. Or no travel... Which 8/10 won't deliver.

Tracking is in the equation I think, unless I misunderstood.
It is, but I think you are misunderstanding.

Quote:
I'm widebodied, my rsr springs were not stiff enough ,i kept rubbing the inside of the rears, a buddy of mines were running these specs and they hold up fine, test drove his car and went over some small dips and no rubbing issues at all. So thats the main reason why I chose these specs.
Quote:
My goal is just to have a car that's stiff enough to not rub my fenders,
I am more concern about the rubbing issue on the fenders, and not so much for comfort.

So basically my goals: 80% on rubbing issue 20% on comfort driving.
Quote:
Yea, you are right, wheel fitment + tire size is the optimal way to fix it, but costs way too much for me to atm to change my whole set-up, especially for widebody.

Almost everyone here in vegas are running BC'S And Megans.
The way I'm interpreting the priorities
Look > no rubbing >>> comfort >>> performance

Edit: To the OP, I say just try it, it's not rocket science to go back. The alternative is to find someone who already has what you want and copy them, or spend enough time researching to have actually earned a degree in rocket science.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
cjd (11-21-2016), Cole (11-22-2016), wparsons (11-22-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #19
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Op, question. If you want it to look great while sitting and not rub while driving, what about air or air cup suspension? Also, have you talked with @86SPEED? They're a vendor that is here in Las Vegas.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #20
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentai View Post
Yea, you are right, wheel fitment + tire size is the optimal way to fix it, but costs way too much for me to atm to change my whole set-up, especially for widebody.

Either way I was going to get coils regardless so I thought it would help a little. Just wanted a good opinion on how these spring rates would help up. Thanks for your input though, now I know people do go above 8k lmao. Almost everyone here in vegas are running BC'S And Megans.
Please don't waste your money on those low end coils

Quote:
BC and Megan... Don't waste your money. Especially because it won't help if you're actually pushing the car. You need to fix the fit.

I don't have 18 clicks...

Haha 18/24 so nearly full stiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sky View Post
My car start bounce up and down in a small motion when damper are mid like 13 clicks,(max 24) Does that means too stiff for normal mountain spirit drive? I have 8k spring rate front/rear
Are you bottoming them out?? The stiffer you set them the longer it takes for them to return to the normal position after hitting a bump. Having the dampers too stiff then hitting multiple bumps in a row can cause that. I have hit rough patches of road at high speed with them dampers set too stiff and it feels like your skipping over the surface haha (talking rebound here)

Edit: just saw your post about you adjusting compression. setting that too high prevents the shock from moving up quickly and limits what the spring can do. If rebound is set lower and compression high you will basicly have pogo sticks on all 4 corners.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:18 AM   #21
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I track atleast once a month with a friend but im not a hardcore track enthusiast. I live in vegas, roads arent that bad, here. My goal is just to have a car that's stiff enough to not rub my fenders, but also not so stiff for DD
just wondering if my rates are in the "A-Okay" zone? But I am more concern about the rubbing issue on the fenders, and not so much for comfort.

So basically my goals: 80% on rubbing issue 20% on comfort driving.
Do you care about rubbing on track? I think you're going to need wheels/tires that don't rub at full compression or much higher spring rates.

Quote:
Either way I was going to get coils regardless so I thought it would help a little. Just wanted a good opinion on how these spring rates would help up. Thanks for your input though, now I know people do go above 8k lmao. Almost everyone here in vegas are running BC'S And Megans.
If ride comfort is even part of your goal, I wouldn't go with BC or Megan.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
cjd (11-22-2016), Shark_Bait88 (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #22
Hentai

Drives: 2015 Halo GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Please don't waste your money on those low end coils

Haha 18/24 so nearly full stiff

Are you bottoming them out?? The stiffer you set them the longer it takes for them to return to the normal position after hitting a bump. Having the dampers too stiff then hitting multiple bumps in a row can cause that. I have hit rough patches of road at high speed with them dampers set too stiff and it feels like your skipping over the surface haha (talking rebound here)

Edit: just saw your post about you adjusting compression. setting that too high prevents the shock from moving up quickly and limits what the spring can do. If rebound is set lower and compression high you will basicly have pogo sticks on all 4 corners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Do you care about rubbing on track? I think you're going to need wheels/tires that don't rub at full compression or much higher spring rates.

If ride comfort is even part of your goal, I wouldn't go with BC or Megan.

I'm not getting a low end under 1k coil. I'm just saying that's what most people run here, nothing wrong with it, but I wouldn't be that person.

Anyways, thanks for the input everyone, I'm in contact with 86speed as of now.
Hentai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hentai For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (11-22-2016)