follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #29
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Any reason why this isn't in the tuning forum?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #30
tech4pdx
Make love

Drives: H8R.. Not really
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Motec M1 Plug N Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Any reason why this isn't in the tuning forum?
The tuning forum is a breeding ground for OEM ECU games. This belongs where it fits best, with the FI guys, writing checks and breaking axles.
tech4pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tech4pdx For This Useful Post:
crook (11-24-2013), diss7 (02-19-2014), lazyluka (02-19-2014)
Old 11-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #31
mobybrz

Drives: White 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
There are several mentions of power steering in the description. Does the M1 replace the EPS ECU or is it influencing the steering behavior in some other way?
mobybrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #32
Frs300

Drives: Pile of junk
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Other shops have it listed for $3500 so we shall see
Frs300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #33
FullBlown

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,026 Times in 548 Posts
Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
From what we gathered, everything performs like the factory, due to the can bus communication between the oem electronics and the m1.

We've been playing with the gtr unit for awhile and love it.
FullBlown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FullBlown For This Useful Post:
brzaapi (11-22-2013), Dipstik-sportech (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #34
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I saw you posting a pic of this in your shop car... and cringed because I know ill be wanting one for my build. EEP! I am quite afraid to see the final price. I know the GTR setup is in the mid 3k range. And even though most parts for the GTR are way over priced (due to limited sales numbers) I am going to guess that wont affect this and we will be paying around the same?

Does motec have a flex fuel setup? The new magnesium series seems really legit.

Edit: thinking about it I'm sure there isn't that much complication just simply taking an analog input & using a fuel / ignition trim map to do flex correct?
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #35
FullBlown

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,026 Times in 548 Posts
Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
I saw you posting a pic of this in your shop car... and cringed because I know ill be wanting one for my build. EEP! I am quite afraid to see the final price. I know the GTR setup is in the mid 3k range. And even though most parts for the GTR are way over priced (due to limited sales numbers) I am going to guess that wont affect this and we will be paying around the same?

Does motec have a flex fuel setup? The new magnesium series seems really legit.

Edit: thinking about it I'm sure there isn't that much complication just simply taking an analog input & using a fuel / ignition trim map to do flex correct?
I believe flex fuel will be available if it isn't already. The way Motec models the M1, it is different from your typical standalones. I know most standalones will use a trim table in closed loop to trim IGN and Fuel base on the feedback of the ethanol sensor. It could be that they use the same strategy but I am not 100% certain.

Motec have really put the effort into the M1 tune to make it as easy as possible to dial a tune in once you understand the whole concept.

The GTR unit is retailed at $7500. Even though the 86 unit is virtually the same box, it will not cost that much because the GTR required a ton of work /R&D to communicate with the Transmission Control Module and other things.

From what I have gathered, the price of the M1 license and package for a specific platform, will be determined by how much time and effort their engineers have invested. Not only that but the continue support to refine the product after the purchase as well.

** Darren@motec have been very helpful with getting this going. I know he made an account here and will be chime in with more details and answers.
FullBlown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #36
nelsmar

I dont know where i came up with mid 3... i think that was for the raw M150... not the GTR package. if it was in the 2-3k range I would be quite interested but probably going to be much more expensive than I could afford. I would love to jump ship and try that EMS out. After my experience with my last motor and all the money invested in ecutek... I will never again waste the time or money on a flash based setup when I plan on doing this much to a car.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #37
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
I dont know where i came up with mid 3... i think that was for the raw M150... not the GTR package. if it was in the 2-3k range I would be quite interested but probably going to be much more expensive than I could afford. I would love to jump ship and try that EMS out. After my experience with my last motor and all the money invested in ecutek... I will never again waste the time or money on a flash based setup when I plan on doing this much to a car.
Another thing that i tell my self is this box would always have a proper resale value. Use it for a year of two and then let it go, you might only lose a grand or so on a proper EMS which might be a 30% of money lost, while on the otter hand with ecutek you're left with nothing other than a cable

Sent from my IBrick
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #38
DarrenR

Drives: Nissan R32 GTS4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

I'm an applications engineer for Motec so I can answer some of the questions about the Motec 86 ECU.

It is a full stand alone, remove the OE ECU entirely and it integrates into the cars system to keep all functionality, similar to the R35 ECU. I'm not sure if cruise control has been implemented yet though. The OE power steering is one system the ECU integrates with and functions as standard.

Flex fuel is an option we are working on for other projects, and may be considered for the 86 ECU. It's not something that can be configured by the end user, yet. Basically if there is enough demand for any features the ECU doesn't have, these can be added in the future.

We haven't done the years of testing on the 86 like we did for the GT-R so we are expecting a few teething problems but if anything pops up it will be fixed immediately.

The price of $3500 going around come from one of my colleagues who was interviewed at an event. He doesn't mention what you get for that but I can confirm the price here in AUD is just a fraction over that. It does work out to be more expensive in USD.
What you get for that is just the ECU, so it's about the same price as a base M800, no options. The M150 is far better than the M800, double the pin count, 250mB of logging, far better tuning software and comes with the likes of cam control, DBW, traction control, anti lag, boost control and the like included in that price, plus DI and port injector control (hi/lo), and vehicle integration. There is very good value for money for the right applications. It may be too expensive for milder application and we would have loved to make the price considerably cheaper it was just not possible. Hence the reason for selling the ECU alone and not only as a kit so customers have the cheapest option available.

Optional extras are
- The adaptor loom. The loom drawings will be available and header connectors can be purchased from various electrical retailers so it's not too difficult to build your own like Full Blown has done. We have a small number of looms coming into stock next week, with a larger number coming mid December.

- Lambda requires an LTC (Lambda to CAN) module, or PLM. This can be a single or dual unit if you want individual banks, and the NTK or Bosch LSU 4.9 versions are available.

- Logging comes standard but restricted to a predefined set, but the 250Mb is standard. This can be upgraded to 2000 channels and up to 1000Hz per channel with a maximum of 150kB/s throughput. That works out to about 35 channels at 1000Hz or ~1800 channels at 20Hz. Pro analysis is also available of course.

LJ at Full Blown has kept on my case for an ECU for the last couple of month, so he's been one of the first to receive an ECU and is helping us test on higher end turbo vehicles. We were hoping to have firmware to them this week, but as usual things always take longer than expected so we're not quite there yet. I'm told it will happen next week, Friday at the latest, but let's just wait and see.
The guys at Full Blown have been great and given us as a very good opportunity to test on the extreme end.
we have been testing with some other local and international dealers for a few months now using an older, less comprehensive firmware with very good results, just getting to the final comprehensive and polished version now, and will be available to the general public before the end of the year.

Cheers,
Darren.

Last edited by DarrenR; 11-23-2013 at 04:09 PM.
DarrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DarrenR For This Useful Post:
Bach415 (12-09-2013), cf6mech (12-15-2013), civicdrivr (11-30-2013), crook (11-24-2013), Dipstik-sportech (11-22-2013), drewbot (08-26-2015), FullBlown (11-22-2013), grant (11-22-2013), JD86 (06-14-2014), rusty959 (11-23-2013), Turdinator (12-05-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #39
grant

Drives: too many to list
great info, will be watching this launch over the winter and saving my pennies before spring and pulling the car back out
grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #40
nelsmar

Ugh after PM'ng @DarrenR and talking to him... I hate this thread. The M1 series is magnificent... HAH They even have a developer friendly module for people like me... Now I really want to jump on the Motec ship.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #41
Biddys

Drives: AE86
motec scion frs

There is also some testing going down at John Reed Racing.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Biddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #42
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@FullBlown Any more updates to this?
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote