follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2016, 01:23 AM   #15
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc View Post
Thank you for the info, it is very helpful. Sorry this got derailed a bit into a p001{6-9} thread.

I just wanted to mention that Toyota is still recommending replacing the ECU to this day. My experience was I brought my car in, they called the next day said they called Toyota corporate and were told to replace the cam gear and ECU, ordered the parts then called back two days later when they went to work on it and said they wouldn't cover it because they just found the oil cooler. So whatever is issue is (maybe just a known defect in the early production ecus) they still replace them, maybe it is just being over cautious on their part.

I have a general knowledge of MCU/embedded development as well and what you are describing is what I would have thought as well. If you overwrite all of the flash and remove power to kill the ram you should have a completely fresh ECU.

I will take your advice though and just leave the old one in there with the new firmware B01C after getting the cam work done and see if it works. That will be easier because I have an ecutek license on it anyway.

I ordered a ECU from a '15 off eBay earlier though. So if I do end up using that should I flash to the '13 firmware (B01C) or just leave it at the '15 firmware (whatever that is, but I think I noticed it was different in ecutek).
Their being pretty nasty denying warantee claim due oil cooler for a known defect that has numerious tsb covering it. and denying you a new ecu if the old one is faulty well id ask them to explain how the oil cooler damaged the ecu.

Yes it will be best to put the original b01C firware back in the new ecu, with ecutek you going to need to get the tuner to renew your ecutek licience for new ecu.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:46 AM   #16
StegaDragon

Drives: 13 Sc10n FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Their being pretty nasty denying warantee claim due oil cooler for a known defect that has numerious tsb covering it. and denying you a new ecu if the old one is faulty well id ask them to explain how the oil cooler damaged the ecu.

Yes it will be best to put the original b01C firware back in the new ecu, with ecutek you going to need to get the tuner to renew your ecutek licience for new ecu.
Definitely contact Toyota directly and not the dealer you'll have a better chance

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
StegaDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:14 AM   #17
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
The only reason they say to replace the ECU is because it's easier and less risk for them to ship a new one with the parts than train some apprentice to flash it and include instructions in the TSB which said apprentice could easily forget to do.

If you just want to reset learned data, then disconnect the battery for 10 sec.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #18
etc

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just some more info for those that are curious. I was unable to find the procedure in the service manuals available on the site (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12135) Mostly because they are insanely hard to navigate, the good news is that apparently toyota doesn't have any access control on the actual pages of the techstream docs only on the indexes so you can follow links from the downloaded service manual to the live docs.

So the procedure is outlined here straight from the horse's mouth, but is what @steve99 stated in the original post. https://techinfo.toyota.com/t3Portal...0Y027X_01_0005

It is the last one "10)" procedure "G".

Also the OP notes that there may be unknown consequences to not setting the VIN with techstream. According to the Manual you will get a MIL (check engine light) if you don't: https://techinfo.toyota.com/t3Portal...0315Z04XX.html
etc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to etc For This Useful Post:
steve99 (09-21-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #19
etc

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So to follow up. I had my cam gears replaced a week or so ago but still had the CEL. I tried flashing b01c again and leaving the battery off for about 15min. The CEL came back.

I swapped in a new (to me) ECU from a '15 flashed that back to b01c and followed the instructions in this thread. Procedure is as simple as it sounds, I had to do the 30min learning twice though, the first time the car would not even try to start, only one loud click. My jumper wire may not have had a good contact the first time. It is easy though the hardest part of the whole thing is removing the connectors out of the old ECU.

CEL is off now and car is running great! So thank you very much for these instructions they were very helpful and it looks like there are some hardware issues with '12 ecus that do require replacement.
etc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etc For This Useful Post:
steve99 (09-29-2016), Ultramaroon (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 05:15 PM   #20
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc View Post
So to follow up. I had my cam gears replaced a week or so ago but still had the CEL. I tried flashing b01c again and leaving the battery off for about 15min. The CEL came back.

I swapped in a new (to me) ECU from a '15 flashed that back to b01c and followed the instructions in this thread. Procedure is as simple as it sounds, I had to do the 30min learning twice though, the first time the car would not even try to start, only one loud click. My jumper wire may not have had a good contact the first time. It is easy though the hardest part of the whole thing is removing the connectors out of the old ECU.

CEL is off now and car is running great! So thank you very much for these instructions they were very helpful and it looks like there are some hardware issues with '12 ecus that do require replacement.
Car should also start with different vin in ecu, tried this and it seems to have no effect the vin just seems to do nothing related to security or starting of car.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #21
armstrom

Drives: none
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quick question... is the replacement ECU pairing to the other controllers or are the other controllers pairing to the replacement ECU? In other words... If I pick up a used ECU and go through this procedure do I have to repeat the procedure again to go back to the original ECU I removed?

I'm considering buying a used ecu to apply my Ecutek tuning to so that if I ever do have to go into the dealer for something or eventually want to return the car to stock to sell I will have my "virgin" factory ECU ready to go. For the ~$100 or so it costs to get a used ECU it seems worth it.
-Matt
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #22
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrom View Post
Quick question... is the replacement ECU pairing to the other controllers or are the other controllers pairing to the replacement ECU? In other words... If I pick up a used ECU and go through this procedure do I have to repeat the procedure again to go back to the original ECU I removed?

I'm considering buying a used ecu to apply my Ecutek tuning to so that if I ever do have to go into the dealer for something or eventually want to return the car to stock to sell I will have my "virgin" factory ECU ready to go. For the ~$100 or so it costs to get a used ECU it seems worth it.
-Matt

You will need to do the 30 minute proceedure ach time you change ecu. Thats the easy part, crawling uner the dash to physically swap out the ecu is the harder part :-)

if your doing the ecu swap remember to put in you vin to the new ecu, its not necessary to start or run car but dealer may pick vin doesnt match, you only need to do that once to new ecu though
Old 12-08-2016, 12:40 AM   #23
Cooperdh
Hot Lava Lover

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S- lava
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
p0016

So I had the dreaded p0016 code and took it to the dealership. They said the cam gear and ECU needed to be replaced and it was covered under warranty. When I got my vehicle back, I drove it for a while and then installed my previous OFT tune. Questions 1: my stereo still had all of my previous settings which lead me to believe they never disconnected the battery. Doesn't that need to be done to install a new ECU? Question 2: I thought if a new ECU is installed, my OFT wouldn't work because it was locked on the previous one. Am I wrong?

What I'm getting at is I wonder if they actually replaced the ECU.
Cooperdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:44 AM   #24
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperdh View Post
So I had the dreaded p0016 code and took it to the dealership. They said the cam gear and ECU needed to be replaced and it was covered under warranty. When I got my vehicle back, I drove it for a while and then installed my previous OFT tune. Questions 1: my stereo still had all of my previous settings which lead me to believe they never disconnected the battery. Doesn't that need to be done to install a new ECU? Question 2: I thought if a new ECU is installed, my OFT wouldn't work because it was locked on the previous one. Am I wrong?

What I'm getting at is I wonder if they actually replaced the ECU.
1. delaers often plug in a temporary voltage supply into caragette lighter socket so stereo does not loose setting of need security code re-entering.

2. OFT will be fine as long a dealer set the vehicle VIN number in the new ECU.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #25
Cooperdh
Hot Lava Lover

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
1. delaers often plug in a temporary voltage supply into caragette lighter socket so stereo does not loose setting of need security code re-entering.

2. OFT will be fine as long a dealer set the vehicle VIN number in the new ECU.
Thanks! Good to know. I was getting a little worried. Thanks for your input and knowledge on this site. You have been a huge help for me regarding OFT issues.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:25 PM   #26
elBarto

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperdh View Post
So I had the dreaded p0016 code and took it to the dealership. They said the cam gear and ECU needed to be replaced and it was covered under warranty. When I got my vehicle back, I drove it for a while and then installed my previous OFT tune. Questions 1: my stereo still had all of my previous settings which lead me to believe they never disconnected the battery. Doesn't that need to be done to install a new ECU?
Once a year I disconnect my carbattery for a full week when I'm on a holiday.
When I reconnect all settings are restored, it even remembers which song I was listening to on my USB stick. The only thing he doesn't remember are the names of the radio stations.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:55 PM   #27
Cooperdh
Hot Lava Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by elBarto View Post
Once a year I disconnect my carbattery for a full week when I'm on a holiday.
When I reconnect all settings are restored, it even remembers which song I was listening to on my USB stick. The only thing he doesn't remember are the names of the radio stations.
I have an aftermarket Pioneer stereo so every time the battery is disconnected, it loses all of the settings. It also requires you to enter the code in case someone steals it. That was why I thought it was odd.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #28
saikat.saha

Drives: Toyota Gt86 2012 orange
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I am new here. sorry if i ask any wrong question.I have Toyota GT86 2012 car. Bought it from japan , it got Greddy T518z turbo setup and tuned the ECU by Greddy and locked.
Code - ZA1JA01A
Now ,I need to Reflash the ECU and back it on stock ROM and Map. How can I do it. PLease suggest .
Thanks
saikat.saha is offline   Reply With Quote