follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-15-2020, 02:02 PM   #15
ROFL it's Waffle

Drives: 2017 WRX (sold), 2009 Lexus LS460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjymiller View Post
Where the 996 is ugly is the steering wheel, head unit, and climate controls. Its like a 90's Taurus!
The 3-spoke steering wheel isn't bad. I know there are some versions that have the old-school 4-spoke wheels, which are ugly to me. The dashboard would need an update, but the enjoyment I get from driving far outweighs the styling queues. Pardon the expression: fat girls and mopeds are fun to ride, but you wouldn't want to be caught on one. But there is more to enjoy.... lol
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #16
korhun

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
TLDR and read but couldn't understood some parts, so I hope I'm not very irrelevant here.

Unless my house is not something like this:

I wouldn't bother how my car looks. I think outside look is for the other drivers and what is inside and the feel of the car is for you. I cannot see how cool my car looks, while driving it. And I don't have time and will to sit near and watch it all day.

I hate to look at this car at almost every angle, but especially:

But if I did not have a chance to buy a BRZ, I would definitely buy it. I don't like the look of Miata ND, but if I could fit inside, I would bought it in the first place.

And I love the look of this car at every angle:

but I'd never bought it.... OK. I would. But not to use it. To sit near and watch it all day.
korhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #17
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You could make the same argument about people and vanity. Untold fortunes are spent every year on fashion, cosmetics, plastic surgery, you name it. People like to make an impression. Also there is an aesthetic component - the way a car looks can just make people feel good. Just like looking at a beautiful painting, or beautiful architecture. I personally agree form should follow function, but that doesn't mean form isn't important
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
venturaII (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 06:38 PM   #18
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,430 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
You could make the same argument about people and vanity. Untold fortunes are spent every year on fashion, cosmetics, plastic surgery, you name it. People like to make an impression. Also there is an aesthetic component - the way a car looks can just make people feel good. Just like looking at a beautiful painting, or beautiful architecture. I personally agree form should follow function, but that doesn't mean form isn't important
This is the explanation every time someone pits this car (or any other car) against the miata. So much vanity.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:25 AM   #19
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I still get compliments on my car at least once a week. Imo miatas are too small and look like a gay giants rollerskate.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:20 AM   #20
ROFL it's Waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
I still get compliments on my car at least once a week. Imo miatas are too small and look like a gay giants rollerskate.
To that I'd say you need to be more specific because there are four generation models of Miata. I'd also say, you should drive/thrash an MX-5 club car and see if you feel differently (assuming you fit, I know I'm too tall in the legs).
Old 01-17-2020, 07:44 AM   #21
ROFL it's Waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Vanity is a funny topic. I bought my 11-yr old LS460 barely used (27,500 miles) for $20k. Brand new it was optioned to $75k. Everyone I've run into (my family, relatives, friends) assume "Wow, ROFL is doing well, that's a beautiful Lexus, must be nice." Other people assume you bought it new (when it's in great shape of course). I will admit that I do enjoy the vanity however petty it is lol, but I like to bargain shop which is exactly why the 996 came into scope, and why other fun cars (Gen 1 NSX) are also tantalizing my interests in a fun weekend/good-weather car. I still love the 86 to death since it goes back to my roots of slow-car-fast enjoyment, but I also don't own one yet lol.

To me, a car is an extension of your personality, and what you choose to do with it will be represented in a conglomerate of categories including but not limited to vanity, functionality/utility, drivability, livability, words words words....
Old 01-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #22
Sapphireho
Truly pasture happy

Drives: '15 JRSC twin, '06 Exige, '77 911s
Thanked 7,933 Times in 4,349 Posts
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjymiller View Post
Unpopular Opinion: I like the headlights, once you get the orange from the indicator out of there.

Where the 996 is ugly is the steering wheel, head unit, and climate controls. Its like a 90's Taurus!

Outside the car is fineeeee.

Most 911s came with hideous steering wheels.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote