follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-01-2018, 07:42 PM   #71
steve99

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,651 Times in 2,780 Posts
Mentioned: 515 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CokeZero View Post
Thatís what Iíve been saying all along. The obd has power but canít put the push button start into full on mode

What im asking is can you talk to ecu and read fault codes, the ecu will report fault codes related to imobilisier or other moduoes it cannot talk to or sync with, this will bive you clies as to what to do.

Theirs no jarm in loop in 4-13 on obd to try but you need to read fault codes from ecu to see whats going on
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:09 PM   #72
CokeZero

Drives: 2015 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
What im asking is can you talk to ecu and read fault codes, the ecu will report fault codes related to imobilisier or other moduoes it cannot talk to or sync with, this will bive you clies as to what to do.

Theirs no jarm in loop in 4-13 on obd to try but you need to read fault codes from ecu to see whats going on
Look at this and tell me what you think

The obd gets power but the scanner I have wont connect to the car without it being in all on mode (which I can't get the car to do, see video)
CokeZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #73
steve99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CokeZero View Post
Look at this and tell me what you think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5KOtsy0Zfg

The obd gets power but the scanner I have wont connect to the car without it being in all on mode (which I can't get the car to do, see video)

Hmm that looks like you got some other electrical issues.

Why did the 3 control units need replacing ?

wiring diagram here
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43087

or here

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...KZRdfw0USLNPjY

service manuals
https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal/
Old 12-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #74
CokeZero

Drives: 2015 brz
Quote:
Hmm that looks like you got some other electrical issues.

Why did the 3 control units need replacing ?

wiring diagram here
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43087

or here

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...KZRdfw0USLNPjY

service manuals
https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal/
I bought it as a project. It was in a low flood. The previous owner replaced the computers but never got them programmed. I've checked all the fuses and swapped around some relays. Ive put the original computers back in and switched out every combination of the three.

Kind of clueless where to go from here. I don't wanna take it to the dealer for program and them tell me something else is wrong and charge me anyway
CokeZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:34 PM   #75
edwardleeaf

Drives: Fr-s
1. Since I drive a 2013 frs automatic and plan on keeping it stock forever, does that mean that if I find a used 2013 FRS automatic ECU, I can skip the Techstream step?

2. For step 4, replacing battery terminal, is there a point to cut and clamp a new battery terminal?
edwardleeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:22 PM   #76
steve99

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardleeaf View Post
1. Since I drive a 2013 frs automatic and plan on keeping it stock forever, does that mean that if I find a used 2013 FRS automatic ECU, I can skip the Techstream step?

2. For step 4, replacing battery terminal, is there a point to cut and clamp a new battery terminal?

Their is no need for techstream or to change vin number, car will start and run fine without changing vin.

The new ecu does have to contain a compatable ecu tune , so if its from same year model same transmission should be fine.

The ecu can be flashed with correct tune if needed the hardware is all the same

When i say remove and replace batterty terminals im just taking disconnect and connect ie its just to remove power to car
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
edwardleeaf (01-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 02:21 AM   #77
edwardleeaf

Drives: Fr-s
Thanks Steve! Guess I was following the instructions too literally!
edwardleeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:18 AM   #78
solidsnake11

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Check fuses on battery terminals then fuses in fuse box then relays. I went over the wiring and as far as I can tell the certification module is the automated hand that turns the key for acc and start.

I had a no starter engagement issue and it wound up being a bent pin on a plug I disconnected to get to the ecm.
solidsnake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:24 AM   #79
solidsnake11

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
You could also check (replace) replace the push start button.
solidsnake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #80
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
if it has '15 firmware it will probably start anyway but then you should flash older tune because the newer tune will most probably trigger DTCs
tomm.brz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #81
Enalband24

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
OK. Bit of a longshot here.

I was drawn to this thread because I've seen it before when I needed to replace my ECU in the BRZ. Didn't end up replacing the factory ECU in my BRZ, just dropped in a Motec instead.

BUT, I'm having what I believe to be an ECU issue in my 2018 wrx...similar crap...I think a code is essentially burned in. I've done a ton of diagnosing and still want to 100% confirm before I purchase a new ECU, so I have a few more things to troubleshoot. If anyone is interested in the code/diagnosing process I went through, I'd be glad to share, but it's extensive.

I really, REALLY, don't want to go to the dealership to have them swap the ECU. I have an AP married to the car and have a ton of other mods on the car (planning for big power this year), and just foresee it being a huge hassle at the dealership. To be clear, I'm talking about the dealership just working on the car, I would NOT claim anything under warranty. I'm 99% sure this is my fault somehow.

My question is, does anyone think this process will work for swapping the ECU in my 2018 WRX?
Old 01-14-2020, 10:15 PM   #82
steve99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enalband24 View Post
OK. Bit of a longshot here.

I was drawn to this thread because I've seen it before when I needed to replace my ECU in the BRZ. Didn't end up replacing the factory ECU in my BRZ, just dropped in a Motec instead.

BUT, I'm having what I believe to be an ECU issue in my 2018 wrx...similar crap...I think a code is essentially burned in. I've done a ton of diagnosing and still want to 100% confirm before I purchase a new ECU, so I have a few more things to troubleshoot. If anyone is interested in the code/diagnosing process I went through, I'd be glad to share, but it's extensive.

I really, REALLY, don't want to go to the dealership to have them swap the ECU. I have an AP married to the car and have a ton of other mods on the car (planning for big power this year), and just foresee it being a huge hassle at the dealership. To be clear, I'm talking about the dealership just working on the car, I would NOT claim anything under warranty. I'm 99% sure this is my fault somehow.

My question is, does anyone think this process will work for swapping the ECU in my 2018 WRX?

This process was in the btz\86 service manuals, i have no idea if it eould work with a 2018 wrx as they use a hitaci ecu not a Denso. You would need to get hold of the repair and service manuals and find the swap process

I very much doubt their are eny permanent burnt in error codes or learned values in ecu, ive swapped lots in brz 86 and that sort of thing would cause issues on a swap. I think your ecu either has a hardware issue or you have a hardware or senor issue in car
Old 01-15-2020, 09:59 AM   #83
Enalband24

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
This process was in the btz\86 service manuals, i have no idea if it eould work with a 2018 wrx as they use a hitaci ecu not a Denso. You would need to get hold of the repair and service manuals and find the swap process

I very much doubt their are eny permanent burnt in error codes or learned values in ecu, ive swapped lots in brz 86 and that sort of thing would cause issues on a swap. I think your ecu either has a hardware issue or you have a hardware or senor issue in car
Steve, thanks for the response and advice. I don't know why I didn't think to check the service manual I have, lol *face palm*

And as for saying I thought the code was burnt in, I didn't mean literally, I just meant I think the ECU is having some internal issues generally. I have a code that is recurring after all related components have been replaced, harnesses checked with multimeter etc. Everything is fine.

Last thing I have to do is just check the signal the ECU is outputting, and compare it to my buddies identical WRX...I suspect the signal will be incorrect in voltage and timing. We'll see...