follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
Go Frogs

Drives: '19 WRX Base in Lapis Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Question Requested a BRZ Brochure in Nov18; received one for 2017???

Hey there BRZ-ites, or is it BRZ-urians. Funny, but odd story; nothing special, just odd and probably not that funny.

In the quest to find my next new car, I stumbled upon the twins, and gravitated more toward the BRZ (because Subaru and because I will not have another car with a Toyota badge...long story).

So, while at the nearest dealer test driving one, an '18 WR Blue Limited, in early November of this year, I pretty much said to myself, "yes, this could potentially be my next car". There was so much I enjoyed about it, something pure, something simple, something that said I like to be driven. So the BRZ is now tied for #1 on my list with VW's Alltrack-S/SE (w/6spd) [<--another long story].

While at the dealer, I picked up a 2018 brochure because I like to flip through books and can compare features better at a glance in the brochure than on a website. Plus, brochures are eyes into the company and their marketing department.

Since the 2019s were right around the corner, I requested a brochure from Subaru's website after I got home (thinking I'll get one for 2019). FYI, the website does not offer the ability to specify model year.

Fast forward 6 weeks and I receive a mailer from Subaru. Knowing what it was, I open it up only to find a BRZ brochure for the 2017 model year and a form letter [not dated or signed] from Mr. Charles McEntee, Director of Customer/Retail Services for SoA.

Why would SoA have 2017 MY brochures still lying around this deep into the 2018 MY? Why wouldn't a 2018 MY brochure be the more logical choice to send out instead of going down into the archive section in the basement for a 2017 brochure? I was expecting a 2019 brochure, and worst case, a 2018 brochure, like the one I got at the dealer; but a 2017? C'mon man.

I expected an organization, as big as Subaru, to have certain cutoff dates for brochure requests. If a request for a brochure is made between "X" and "Y" dates (corresponding to MY production), then the customer is sent that model year and if a request is received after the "Y" date, they (SoA) send the next model year. It only makes sense, but maybe that's just my thought process.

Just another thing that makes you go hmmmm...[cue C&C Music Factory's video -->

Receiving an old brochure is not going to influence my purchase, the car and life needs are going to do that. Thanks for reading.

Dear SoA, what petition do I need to sign to bring the LeVorg 2.0t 6spd to North America?
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Go Frogs For This Useful Post:
Busybee (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #2
Dadillac

Drives: 2018 Ford Mustang EB Premium 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Here you go
http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/...20BRZ_2019.pdf

Don
Go Frogs (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #3
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That's funny! I asked 2 times and they mailed me 2017 two times

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:44 PM   #4
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You sure have a lot to say about brochures!
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
JD001 (12-24-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 10:44 PM   #5
Go Frogs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
You sure have a lot to say about brochures!
well, I don't have a picture, so I had to get my 1000 words in somehow.

This was just something anecdotal I thought was interesting. With all of the effort that goes into car marketing and advertising, this just seemed very amature.

Yes, there is a lot that is the same between the 2017 and 2019 BRZs, but a 2019 brochure would have been nice(er) since it is 6 days away and 2019 MY cars are on lots.

Receiving what I did says a lot, to me, about Mr. McEntee's Customer/Relations Services department and that attention to detail isn't high on their list of office practices.

Again, I'm not letting a 2 year old brochure turn me away. I'll add it to my 2018 brochure and here in a month or two, stop by my local dealer and see if they have a 2019 on their display. Yes, I can download the e-brochure/PDF, but like I mentioned, I like flipping pages.

At least the Subaru dealer had (2018) BRZ brochures available, the closest Toyota dealer didn't have any 86 ones next to their Camry and Corolla books, but then again, they don't expect to receive an 86 until mid-to-late Jan or early Feb, so the car is not high on their list since it's such a low volume car.

Dear SoA, what petition do I need to sign to bring the LeVorg 2.0t 6spd to North America?
Old 12-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #6
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,448 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I hear you brother! I can top your story. As I've mentioned before in other threads My 2018 tS did not come with a Glove Box Kit. The salesman did give me a Quick Start guide when I took delivery. He said the kit was on order. Well, the guide was for a 2016 BRZ when they had three buttons on the left side of the dash. Mine, being a 2018 has that bottom button (for Display) blanked off. I went back to the dealership to have someone show me how to set the shift light and gear indicator etcetera. It took five people to figure it all out because no one had the "product knowledge" needed. I had to get Subaru Canada involved in getting my Glove Box kit and even then when it showed up it was pieced together from left overs. How do I know that? Well, the Warranty/Maintenance and Roadside booklet was dated 2015! I contacted Subaru Canada a second time. This via their Facebook page and finally I got a proper, almost complete, 2018 BRZ Glove Box kit. I say that because some others got a separate tS promo page listing all the tS options.
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #7
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Frogs View Post
because I will not have another car with a Toyota badge...long story

if a single stupid badge bothers you, my truck is going to send you into a padded corner.

J1Avs (12-24-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 11:52 AM   #8
Go Frogs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
I hear you brother! I can top your story. As I've mentioned before in other threads My 2018 tS did not come with a Glove Box Kit. The salesman did give me a Quick Start guide when I took delivery...Well, the guide was for a 2016 BRZ when they had three buttons on the left side of the dash...I say that because some others got a separate tS promo page listing all the tS options.
Yes, a much better story. The tS and other special editions are phantom wonders (I like them), and I'm amazed they sell like they do because Subaru does not actively market them at all, except at a random car show, or they pop up in various internet video reviews, or are buried in Subaru's press releases on their website. Sure, they are cars catering to an enthusiast market that keeps an eye out for that kind of stuff, but it just boggles my mind that they are this huge secret, and figuratively speaking, parked in the very back and only one guy knows it's there and he only works Wednesdays 1000-1045. Glad you got you book thing sorted (mostly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
if a single stupid badge bothers you, my truck is going to send you into a padded corner.

Nope, not even close. Personally, I think that is awesome and it tells me the owner has a huge sense of humor and it just adds to the joy of life. I also realize the owner isn't pretending his vehicle is something it's not; afterall their are only stickers/badges. Now, those folks who have Honda Accords that put BMW roundels on their car to make people actually think their Honda was a BMW, is a different story. .

I like it and give you two thumbs up.

Again, a Toyota badge wearing car will not end up in my garage. A bad dealer experience has tainted the waters, for life.

Tags
2017, brochure, soa