follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
Grimlock

Drives: BRZ and NA
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
And think of all the people that said the BRZ would never sell because it wan't turbo or AWD. LOL!
I think this is really a non-story. Nearly all of the cars that were sold in May were pre-orders. When the cars came in, the potential owners were called and then they came in to pick up their car.

No selling was needed, and no extra time on the lot was needed than for the potential owner to get to the dealership.

If there were no pre-orders this would be a much bigger deal.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
I think this is really a non-story. Nearly all of the cars that were sold in May were pre-orders. When the cars came in, the potential owners were called and then they came in to pick up their car.

No selling was needed, and no extra time on the lot was needed than for the potential owner to get to the dealership.

If there were no pre-orders this would be a much bigger deal.
True, but most Subaru dealerships have sold orders for all of their allotments. The one I got my BRZ from is getting 9. When I picked it up they had 8 orders. A week later they had sold the 9th and had 3 on wait-list for any cancellations.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #17
DubGUy
Soon to be owner of BRZ

Drives: 2000 Ford Ranger Sport XLT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86design View Post
went to my first car show at a toyota dealership this past saturday and I couldn't believe what i was hearing from the sales guys at that dealership..

Sales guy "excuse me! did you change your front bumper?"

Me "no why?"

Sales guy "Oh cause we sell the FRS and i thought that the FRS was the same as the BRZ, so i thought that was an aftermarket bumper"

Me " ohhh no no the BRZ is alittle different from the FRS"

Sales guy "I'm sorry but your BRZ looks like it WANTS TO BE A FRS!"

Me "hmmmm OKAY THANKS!"

Also heard from there sales manager that walked by my BRZ say "no wonder you dont see that many of them.....they look ugly!"

After hearing that....I was just thinking in my head! yeah there might not be a lot of there but there's a reason! the BRZ beats the FRS with looks, interior and MOTORTRED Magazine haha

Way to keep your cool.
86design (06-21-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #18
DubGUy
Soon to be owner of BRZ

Drives: 2000 Ford Ranger Sport XLT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumsauce View Post
You should have said "I'm sorry but your FR-S looks like it wants to be a Toyota. At least my BRZ made it to North America without being rebranded as something nobody wants!"
Nice comeback!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #19
alluringreality

Drives: Subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
I think this is really a non-story.
While I do think it's possible these cars may stay in the top 10 for a few months, I think it's silly to draw any general conclusions at this point on how well the cars will sell, especially considering the Cadillac anomaly from January.

http://blog.truecar.com/2012/01/23/j...cle-inventory/

Last edited by alluringreality; 06-19-2012 at 07:37 PM.
alluringreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
mkxr

Drives: honda fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86design View Post
went to my first car show at a toyota dealership this past saturday and I couldn't believe what i was hearing from the sales guys at that dealership..

Sales guy "excuse me! did you change your front bumper?"

Me "no why?"

Sales guy "Oh cause we sell the FRS and i thought that the FRS was the same as the BRZ, so i thought that was an aftermarket bumper"

Me " ohhh no no the BRZ is alittle different from the FRS"

Sales guy "I'm sorry but your BRZ looks like it WANTS TO BE A FRS!"

Me "hmmmm OKAY THANKS!"

Also heard from there sales manager that walked by my BRZ say "no wonder you dont see that many of them.....they look ugly!"

After hearing that....I was just thinking in my head! yeah there might not be a lot of there but there's a reason! the BRZ beats the FRS with looks, interior and MOTORTRED Magazine haha
Someone from Scion should read this. People don't want to be treated poorly when they go to a dealership to look at or buy a car. Smug attitude from sales people like this is a turn-off, and I have walked away from a sale before because of something like this. I had a similar experience at the Chicago Auto Show, with the less-than-knowledgeable Scion staff just thinking and acting like they are all-that, and how I should feel blessed that they are even talking to me. When you walk in to a dealership, and someone tells you that the car you came in is ugly, that's not a good sales tactic.
mkxr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mkxr For This Useful Post:
86design (06-21-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #21
micmic

Drives: Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
hahaha! That terrible, horrible nasioc thread comes to mind
Ok, I must have been under a rock, but I missed that post on NABISCO...

Could you post a link to it?
micmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #22
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
if you have a few months to read, here it is:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1858777

But I can just sum up the whole thing for you.

"IT'S NOT AWD? WHAT A TERRIBLE CAR! IT WILL NEVER SELL AND IT'S A PIECE OF JUNK! AND NO TURBO AHH MEHHH GAWWWD IT WILL DO 0-60 IN DAYS NOT SECONDS LAWZ, ANYONE THAT WANTS A CAR THAT IS NOT TURBO AWD IS DUMB AND DOES NOT KNOW THE AMAZINGNESS OF SUBARU"

and like two or three people trying to defend the BRZ. hehe. And if you tried to logically point out that it was a true sports car (according to the real definition of a sports car) you'd get trolled from here to the moon. even though the WRX is just a 4 door economy car with a turbo on it. lol. I drove my 03 wrx for 8 years, and they still said I had no idea what I was talking about.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:11 AM   #23
micmic

Drives: Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
if you have a few months to read, here it is:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1858777

But I can just sum up the whole thing for you.
Thanks for the link and the summary. I'm sure I'll enjoy the read on the train ride into work tomorrow. (and get a few laughs at the AWD ignorance out there...) I had a 2001 2.5RS coupe for four years and, while it was a blast in the snow, it was a tractor on the autocross course. All-in-all, I enjoyed the car, but traded up for a 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege and then a Type R; I was hooked on the R after only one lap around Grattan raceway and dumped the MSP within a month (I'd only had the MSP for 8 months). They'd probably flame the R as not being a true drivers car because it is wrong wheel drive.

My hope is that BRZ/FRS can capture the essense and driving experience of the R without having to put up will all of the BS (read: theft) that went along with owning an R. Aside from seriously modified cars (and a GT3), the R was one of the most enjoyable cars I've autocrossed or tracked. And, it wasn't the fastest by a long shot...

Cheers!
micmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #24
Napoleon

Drives: BRZ WRB Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
Yeah the FR-S still have the better looking front bumper for the ugly headlights kill it vs the BRZ.
The general shape of the grill opening is beautiful, it is the mustache that was not done well. If the mustache had less of an outward protrusion and more of a concave or flat appearance, it would look fantastic just like the teaser image below. The lighting makes the bumper look more pleasing. When this picture was revealed, I really thought the "mustache" part was either flat or concave. Did everyone share the same impression regarding this specific picture? After Subaru unveiled the production version, to me the FRS was more aesthetically easy on the eyes.

I still bought the BRZ. Do not let the pictures fool you, the mustache is not as bad as you think. You get over it after awhile. If everyone insists, then I am sure there will be aftermarket solutions available to all those who wish to modify their BRZ. Remember, it will be easier to change the bumper on a BRZ than it is to pimp an FRS to be like a BRZ/GT86--that is, if you fall under that category. Happy Modding!

Last edited by Napoleon; 06-20-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:37 AM   #25
catharsis

Drives: honda civic si 08
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I for one actually think this is bad news. The fact that the BRZ is out selling the FRS will tell toyo/sub its ok. Go ahead and overload this thing to inflate the price. Next up they'll add moon roofs, and god knows what else and just jack up the price for no good reason.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #26
Tman08

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Here is the official sales numbers for the month:

http://media.subaru.com/index.php?s=43&item=327

271 were moved in May. That x12 puts it at only 3252 for the year give or take, but I'm sure there will be more BRZs out there this year.

As long as the roads aren't over saturated with them over the next 1-2yrs, the news is good. I expect though the FR-S to be the "volume car" of the two for sure.
Tman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #27
Pscylo

Drives: Raven FR-S
Garage
Unless other makers step up thier game, and I am sure they will now, the roads will be saturated within 2 years with the twins. There is a market, its been relatively dormant for the past 5-6 years.

I look forward to seeing what they come up with. I love cars.

I know I purchased mine in May.
Pscylo is offline   Reply With Quote