follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 07-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #575
nocoolname

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikuGANO View Post
Big thanks for the additional information. I guess the hard part is clear coating them. I'm not too keen on painting or plasti-dipping with aerosol cans. When you're painting the red or clearcoat, are you pressing down on the nozzle intermittently? Or is your finger always held down for the whole duration through each layer you're spraying?
I'm used to spraying with a gun, but use a can in the same fashion. I spray my edges first, in the case of the tail lights, it would be the side (closest to trunk) and bottom (sides relative to the way they're mounted on the car). Specifically, I did the bottom, then the side. After that I do the rest as one spray. I start at the bottom of the light and move to the top, wrapping over the outer side and then the top of the light. This limits a possibility of overspray that could make it look like dry spray. I start moving my hand parallel to the surface and start spraying right before I get to the leading edge. I then don't stop spraying until I'm past the trailing edge. If spraying around an angle, make sure you keep your hand the same distance from the surface and make sure the spray is as perpendicular on a 90* angle as possible. I keep the nozzle about 6ish inches from the surface and overlap about 50%. The distance will probably be about the same for you as you can't adjust pressure or pattern on a spray can but depending on how fast you move, the overlap may be different.
nocoolname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nocoolname For This Useful Post:
ikuGANO (07-12-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 12:24 AM   #576
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Smoking or Redding BRZ/FR-S Tail Lights

A warning to anyone using the VHT red shade:
Whatever you do, make sure that no brake cleaner hits the painted surface. It will screw everything up. I was cleaning new rotors and a drop of brake cleaner fell on the lense, some of the tint came off. Had to redo them all over and had to do both because one looked darker than the other. I'm guessing clear coat takes care of that but it took me all day redoing them and trying to make them look good again.

This could also apply to things like goof off, gasoline or any alcohol based liquids.

Ps. Also they've been painted for almost 6 months now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #577
ikuGANO

Drives: 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Took the plunge! Turned out better than I expected..
Attached Images

Last edited by ikuGANO; 08-16-2017 at 05:04 PM.
ikuGANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ikuGANO For This Useful Post:
B-R-Z (07-15-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #578
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
for those who kept the turn signal clear AND did the sanding prior to painting, did you sand the turn signal area as well since it's only getting the clearcoat?
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #579
nocoolname

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you're having trouble finding the spraymax 2k, it's on Amazon.
nocoolname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #580
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
i have 2 cans of spraymax 2k left over from my project. If you're in socal, let me know. Selling them for $15 each

i'll be posting pix of my tail lights once I am done wetsanding and polishing. Waiting a few days for the clear to cure
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:19 AM   #581
Waffle86

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

3 coats of Red VHT night shade, no sanding, no clear coat.

My strategy was to spray heavier wet coats just shy of running to keep them looking glossy (light coats result in matte finish). In between coats I noticed a decent amount of orange peel; however, after the final coat and allowing an hour to dry, I came back out to find they had miraculously smoothed out.

Not planning on clear coating as I知 more than happy with the finish and I知 relying on PNW overcast weather to limit any fading until I pull the trigger on some Tom痴 Tails.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:03 PM   #582
natedawg239

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
Has anyone done this with the 17s?
natedawg239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:11 AM   #583
WishfulThinking

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
I'm looking to start putting some aftermarket work into my new 2016 FRS and since its going away for the winter being that the roads in Michigan are too bad to drive on anyway I'll definitely look into smoking a new set of tail lights... that being said you mentioned heat on my side how could I ensure decent results in a cold garage?
WishfulThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:16 PM   #584
Waffle86

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulThinking View Post
I'm looking to start putting some aftermarket work into my new 2016 FRS and since its going away for the winter being that the roads in Michigan are too bad to drive on anyway I'll definitely look into smoking a new set of tail lights... that being said you mentioned heat on my side how could I ensure decent results in a cold garage?

My understanding is that the critical part in applying the spray tint is that the can is warm to avoid splattering from rattle cans. Not sure how cold weather would affect the drying process.

...why not do it now while it's still somewhat warm?

Old 10-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #585
Face_Plant

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
How many cans of VHT and Spraymax are required to do both tail lights? I'm considering at least 3 coats of red and 3 coats of clear for each light.
Face_Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:09 PM   #586
Waffle86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Plant View Post
How many cans of VHT and Spraymax are required to do both tail lights? I'm considering at least 3 coats of red and 3 coats of clear for each light.

I did three wet coats with one can - heavy coats help achieve a glossy finish without the need for sanding/clear coat. Just be careful not to cause runs.

My result with NO CLEAR COAT:

Old 10-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #587
Face_Plant

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle86 View Post
I did three wet coats with one can - heavy coats help achieve a glossy finish without the need for sanding/clear coat. Just be careful not to cause runs.
Looks good! I'm going to do my absolute best to avoid heavy/medium/wet coats since I tend to have very bad luck with them. Everything I've ever attempted to spray paint with more than a light dusting always ends up with runs or puddles. From what I've read Nite Shades dries pretty quickly, so I'm less likely to get impatient and lay down heavy coats just to get it over with. Plus I've already purchased the polishing compound, so I might as well use it.

I'm not too worried about running out of Nite Shades since I can just run to Walmart or something and grab another can. I'm more worried about running out of Spraymax 2K since I had to order that online and ordering more = more downtime...
Face_Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:51 PM   #588
Waffle86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Plant View Post
Looks good! I'm going to do my absolute best to avoid heavy/medium/wet coats since I tend to have very bad luck with them. Everything I've ever attempted to spray paint with more than a light dusting always ends up with runs or puddles. From what I've read Nite Shades dries pretty quickly, so I'm less likely to get impatient and lay down heavy coats just to get it over with. Plus I've already purchased the polishing compound, so I might as well use it.

I'm not too worried about running out of Nite Shades since I can just run to Walmart or something and grab another can. I'm more worried about running out of Spraymax 2K since I had to order that online and ordering more = more downtime...

Gotcha. Well, considering I did three heavy coats with 1 can I知 sure you値l be fine, even with the clear.

I found the red VHT to be pretty forgiving (I知 a very impatient painter as well). I chose not to clear coat as I wanted it easier to reverse. Once I got my Tom痴 Tails I used some brake cleaner, some goo-gone, and some elbow grease and they were back to clear. Your car your choice though .