follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #561
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andew727 View Post
compressor stall?
On a supercharger? That would probably mean engine stall.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
craigpitts7 (02-18-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #562
Andew727

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Not if the blow off/by-pass valve doesn't operate properly forcing air back over the compressor blades "compressor stall". If put a turbo spring in a BOV on a supercharged car you will have the compressor stall sound because the spring wont stay open at idle
Andew727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #563
Andew727

Garage
Quote:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwzUffAuQyc"]What Causes Turbo Flutter? Compressor Surge Explained - YouTube[/ame] any compressor can stall or surge like that if air flow is disrupted... superchargers are compressors
Old 01-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #564
Andew727

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbanger View Post
So does cold air effect boost levels? I'm on a V3 100 mm pulley and e85. I had car out tonight it's in the 20's and I was pegging 15lbs of boost instead of 11.5lbs as rated.

https://instagram.com/p/BN2pnXsjezI
faulty gauge. It wont increase pressure but you will be moving denser air through the system.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:55 PM   #565
Andew727

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koj View Post
My car do a strange noise some times on Drift lap.
In normal way, rear way, or lateral ... I hear it all the ways the car goes.
It's like the compressor still pushing and the bypass is opening the way but it's singing louder

It is like : BILI BILI BILI BILI BILI ...

I have a video : it s short but it can be hear at 0:12

In the V2 manual it is wrote : "After driving a while and stop the engine when the engine room is at high temperature, the belt may make squeaking noises. This is caused by the factory auto-tensioner’s adjustment function; this is normal."

Could it be that ?

Or my HKS Hypermax IV SP Coil Over could do that noise ?
meant to post quote this for you,

This is a compressor stall or surge. If the kit is new, mine did this for a few hundred miles on a brand new recirculating BOV. its not good for the compressor to experience this but not uncommon. does it happen every time you release the throttle?
Old 01-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #566
Andew727

Garage
So, My blower gave out now. I have not had a good experience with this kit since install. never really got a chance to see what performance could have become of it.

blower compressor wheel spins with my fingers. has anyone sent their unit in for a rebuild? is this an option through hks? if an hks rep could chime in and explain all options i have to getting the car back on the road it would be greatly appreciated. after my engine blew (kit on the car less than 5,000 miles) i suspected there was an internal leak of the traction fluid because i would lose a little every time i checked it and tacky oil was blown down the first section of piping before the intercooler. I was told by most i was blow-by. which is still a good possibility.

But, with the kit only seeing less than 10k miles all together and my engine build taking 6 months, extending my supercharger kit out beyond its warrantee, i am now kind of screwed. Can HKS do anything to help me out some? i have the original V1 kit 7040L compressor. w/ 100mm pulley i believe.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:43 AM   #567
Torry@HKSUSA

Drives: HKS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
So, My blower gave out now. I have not had a good experience with this kit since install. never really got a chance to see what performance could have become of it.

blower compressor wheel spins with my fingers. has anyone sent their unit in for a rebuild? is this an option through hks? if an hks rep could chime in and explain all options i have to getting the car back on the road it would be greatly appreciated. after my engine blew (kit on the car less than 5,000 miles) i suspected there was an internal leak of the traction fluid because i would lose a little every time i checked it and tacky oil was blown down the first section of piping before the intercooler. I was told by most i was blow-by. which is still a good possibility.

But, with the kit only seeing less than 10k miles all together and my engine build taking 6 months, extending my supercharger kit out beyond its warrantee, i am now kind of screwed. Can HKS do anything to help me out some? i have the original V1 kit 7040L compressor. w/ 100mm pulley i believe.
7040L V1 Rebuild is $1560. You ship us your unit as the core, and we ship you a reman for $1560. A new one without the core is $2460.
Torry@HKSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #568
Evil Rocky

Drives: FRS
That sucks man, hopefully HKS can work with you.
Evil Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Evil Rocky For This Useful Post:
Andew727 (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 12:50 PM   #569
Andew727

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA View Post
7040L V1 Rebuild is $1560. You ship us your unit as the core, and we ship you a reman for $1560. A new one without the core is $2460.
Torry, if i place my order today what is the time frame and process. do i have to wait for a diagnoses of my core to receive the referb unit?
Old 01-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #570
Torry@HKSUSA

Quote:
Torry, if i place my order today what is the time frame and process. do i have to wait for a diagnoses of my core to receive the referb unit?
You will need to send the core to us before you can order a reman. Once we receive your core, then you can order the reman through any of our HKS Pro Dealers. We'll give you the part number needed for this once we get your core. Let us know which Pro Dealer you chose to go through, and I'll reach out to them also so they understand you'll be ordering a reman unit and already sent us the core.

As far as time to get it, after we receive your core, a typical order is 6-8 weeks for us to get it in, then another couple days to you. However, if you need it sooner, we can get an air freight cost for you, in which case you can have your new one in about 2 weeks. However, this is all assuming the supercharger is in stock in Japan. Right now, it isn't, so I will have to get you a more accurate time line from HKS Japan.

If you want to continue this conversation and get rolling on the replacement unit, please email me at torry.skurski@mport-group.com and we can get the process started for you.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #571
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA View Post
You will need to send the core to us before you can order a reman. Once we receive your core, then you can order the reman through any of our HKS Pro Dealers. We'll give you the part number needed for this once we get your core. Let us know which Pro Dealer you chose to go through, and I'll reach out to them also so they understand you'll be ordering a reman unit and already sent us the core.

As far as time to get it, after we receive your core, a typical order is 6-8 weeks for us to get it in, then another couple days to you. However, if you need it sooner, we can get an air freight cost for you, in which case you can have your new one in about 2 weeks. However, this is all assuming the supercharger is in stock in Japan. Right now, it isn't, so I will have to get you a more accurate time line from HKS Japan.

If you want to continue this conversation and get rolling on the replacement unit, please email me at torry.skurski@mport-group.com and we can get the process started for you.
That's not how it worked with mine. At the time there was an upcoming production of 7040L blowers for the V3 kit. I waited for that to be done and was shipped a new unit without sending my old one. The only issue was I needed to move the angle of the outlet from the blower to fit my V1 kit which required an Allen key to open a few bolts. Wasn't informed before, but it was a minimal issue. There was no actual "rebuild" for North America.
Are you sure of the price of the stand alone blower? That looks a bit high. Pretty sure mine was less. Also, he will probably need more traction fluid.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #572
Torry@HKSUSA

Quote:
That's not how it worked with mine. At the time there was an upcoming production of 7040L blowers for the V3 kit. I waited for that to be done and was shipped a new unit without sending my old one. The only issue was I needed to move the angle of the outlet from the blower to fit my V1 kit which required an Allen key to open a few bolts. Wasn't informed before, but it was a minimal issue. There was no actual "rebuild" for North America.
Are you sure of the price of the stand alone blower? That looks a bit high. Pretty sure mine was less. Also, he will probably need more traction fluid.
That is the price of the blower by itself. The blowers aren't rebuilt in North America, we send them back to HKS Japan to be rebuilt. But we need to have a core to send back to HKS Japan before we have them ship us a reman.

The price I listed is retail pricing. If you were able to purchase through a dealer at a lower cost, then that is between that dealer and you.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #573
Andew727

Garage
Quote:
That's what i thought I've read before. $1600 should be for a new unit without core. but i guess thats not the case. I'd really like to get my hands on a pieced out v3 kit since i have a clear case where the supercharger failed way before it should have. its all tracked in this thread. i actually purchased a few cans of the traction oil a month ago unfortunately when i added more oil line and more efficient oil cooler to the supercharger trying to keep it from overheating, so im good on traction fluid for the rest of this cars life, haha!

We will see, i just want a car that runs longer than a couple months at a time.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:02 AM   #574
Efferalgan

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostpanda View Post
Can our FA20 bear the 1 BAR from the supercharger ?
I just concern about my engine.
My tuner told 0.8 is safty.
I do not know about 1BAR
At 1 BAR the stock rods WILL be bended. This doesn't mean your engine will blow-up immediately. But the problems will accumulate and it's a matter of time when they will result in an engine failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinra Inc View Post
I've had mine installed for about a month. So far so good. Intercooler was a pain to install because of the thicker radiator. HKS should redesign the kit with a thicker rad in mind. Chances are people adding a supercharger will upgrade that part.
Indeed. HKS kit doesn't work with thick radiators unless you do some far from "bold-on" modification. So, I decided to stick with the stock one and sold the Mishimoto.
Efferalgan is offline   Reply With Quote