follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2016, 12:34 PM   #29
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewchief View Post
car is auto ..seen early threads of the same problem on the 86 no one seems to have an answer...its not mould... its a burning smell like tar for about 3 seconds then goes ....doesn't happen all the time but...driver reports... makes the driver light headed...gives a headache....seems to me like leaking engine coolant ...thought there would be a fix seems common problem with 86...
Tar-like burning smell is not coolant.

Coolant smells "sweet"

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #30
Imrac

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Prem
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
If it's a 2016, my guess is you don't have a lot of distance on the car. I still had random "burning" smells for 10,000 miles. The car has a lot of materials and left over machining lubricants that will burn off.

I would ignore it unless you see smoke or smell it constantly.

It could also be a brake slide sticking and dragging a pad for a little bit.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #31
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
car is auto ..seen early threads of the same problem on the 86 no one seems to have an answer...its not mould... its a burning smell like tar for about 3 seconds then goes ....doesn't happen all the time but...driver reports... makes the driver light headed...gives a headache....seems to me like leaking engine coolant ...thought there would be a fix seems common problem with 86...
Well, @crewchief, as suggested did you change the cabin air filter ... ??

It might have picked up something and is hanging on to it ...... to be released from time to time.

Surely, changing the cabin air filter doesn't jeopardize your warranty .... even in Australia .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:55 PM   #32
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerDiddle View Post
only ever turn on recirculation if there's a bad smell outside.
So that means anytime I floor it, due to rotten egg and gas fume smell?
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:14 AM   #33
crewchief

Drives: gt86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, @crewchief, as suggested did you change the cabin air filter ... ??

It might have picked up something and is hanging on to it ...... to be released from time to time.

Surely, changing the cabin air filter doesn't jeopardize your warranty .... even in Australia .....

humfrz
nothing wrong with filter no smell..... new
crewchief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crewchief For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-12-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 02:22 AM   #34
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i also had that burning smell...resembled cigarette smoke to me but it went away after 15,000+ miles
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:56 PM   #35
Ryan_86

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS - Steel
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I swear I have this same problem, its a quick strong burning smell that lasts like 3-5 seconds, only seems to pop up when driving the car harder than normal and only when the re-circ is on. 2016 AT frs.
Ryan_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:30 AM   #36
Lakitu

Drives: 2017 Halo 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I have the same problem with a smell coming through my vents, whether the AC is on or not, or on recirculation mode, when I drive hard and long periods of time, and usually get 2 seconds of a smell through the vents when changing gears. I'm not doing anything I shouldn't be doing with the clutch or car. Brand new Arm & Hammer cabin air filter was installed, and I used lysol sprayed through the vents below the windshield that the blowers pull air from.

Sometimes I drive with the windows down and still get the a stale smell of some unknown heated material (not so much burning, just smells like someone tried to cook some dirt). I'm coming up on 18K miles and this smell lingers on my clothes and my hands and is starting to annoy the firetruck out of me. So tired of this smell.

I was hoping this was an easy fix, but it looks like I'm going to have to ask the dealership. They're probably going to charge me to inspect for this crap. I do want to check for that leak thing now that I'm seeing some threads about that happening. I have a manual 2017 model, so one would think that sort of thing was fixed. Maybe I try the lysol thing one more time, I really don't want to have to take it into the shop for something so silly.
Lakitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #37
carsebuco
How do I shift?

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakitu View Post
I have the same problem with a smell coming through my vents, whether the AC is on or not, or on recirculation mode, when I drive hard and long periods of time, and usually get 2 seconds of a smell through the vents when changing gears. I'm not doing anything I shouldn't be doing with the clutch or car. Brand new Arm & Hammer cabin air filter was installed, and I used lysol sprayed through the vents below the windshield that the blowers pull air from.

Sometimes I drive with the windows down and still get the a stale smell of some unknown heated material (not so much burning, just smells like someone tried to cook some dirt). I'm coming up on 18K miles and this smell lingers on my clothes and my hands and is starting to annoy the firetruck out of me. So tired of this smell.

I was hoping this was an easy fix, but it looks like I'm going to have to ask the dealership. They're probably going to charge me to inspect for this crap. I do want to check for that leak thing now that I'm seeing some threads about that happening. I have a manual 2017 model, so one would think that sort of thing was fixed. Maybe I try the lysol thing one more time, I really don't want to have to take it into the shop for something so silly.
I used to have this too, but didn't pay much attention to it - I was worried about something else, my synchros on 3rd to 4th gear. I had my transmission replaced under warranty and since then I have never had the smell come back.