follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
Ranatsu
Cone basher

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Series.Yellow
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateless View Post
Most likely the entire roof panel will be replaced, it's just a matter of who will pay. My insurance deductible is very low, but I shouldn't have to pay anything for something like this. The inconvenience and lack of accountability pisses me off the most.
carbon fiber roof.
Ranatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
_F-R-S_
Banned

Drives: 13 whiteout scion frs
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Hairline scratchs are a bitch. Not even. Micro fibre cloth will take that dent out
_F-R-S_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
stateless, I highly doubt the insc. co. will pay to swap out a repairable panel. They will just get it fixed and you will be out the deductable.

Another option would be get the dent removed and then get a carbon fibre overlay on the roof rather than a repaint. This way at least you are getting a mod for your deductable money. That is, if you want it.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #18
2manysubies
USN Retired

Drives: '13 BRZL, 05LGTL, 05LGTLSW, and +5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about the car. Adding insult to injury, no accountability.

Yes, I know about the cold weather and the need to wash(or I dream about it if I don't). One thing I have found that works well when you can wash your car normally, I mix some dishwasher anti-spot (sheeting polymer, NOT the soap), in with the wash water/soap, it lasts a few washes and the rinse just flies off the car. Even a simple rinse in the winter is easier. Hope things work out.

R/Mac
2manysubies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #19
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Ugh, that SUCKS dude! I hope you can get the car fixed and get this mess behind you quickly!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
stateless
Double Dragon

Drives: 2013 6MT BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranatsu View Post
carbon fiber roof.
Nice, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I should go back and let it eat my hood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
stateless, I highly doubt the insc. co. will pay to swap out a repairable panel. They will just get it fixed and you will be out the deductable.

Another option would be get the dent removed and then get a carbon fibre overlay on the roof rather than a repaint. This way at least you are getting a mod for your deductable money. That is, if you want it.

I don't like overlays as they just add high-centered weight (sure it's not much, but it's still something). The dent is right on the detail line on both sides (one side is much worse) so it depends if the dents can be removed properly (maybe they can, I'm not sure). I can feel the dents through the headliner, so hopefully the headliner is flexible and bounces back. I still have to get a quote for the damage. I thought it would be a simple repair but the adjuster said things that look minor often aren't and that it may need replacing. Won't know until I get it inspected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Ugh, that SUCKS dude! I hope you can get the car fixed and get this mess behind you quickly!
thanks man
Old 12-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #21
Tambat

Drives: B5 S4 k04'd +
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
sometimes i read these posts and i wonder how people have so much patience. if a car wash door came down on my roof and it was their fault i would be absolutely furious. well, not right away, if they were sorry about it and were willing to make it right i would be really cool about it seeing as accidents happen. but, if they were trying to dodge it and act like they have no responsibility, i would go NUTS on them! i would gather up all my friends and block all their wash bays or something. i would never let something like that get the best of me. hell, i would spend a couple days there just waiting for some kind of management to show up and then chew them out for trying to force hundreds of dollars of damage onto me. straight up bogus! i hope you get it resolved soon man!
Tambat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tambat For This Useful Post:
Laika (12-08-2012), M-17 (12-07-2012), stateless (12-07-2012), Tigranakert (12-08-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #22
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambat View Post
sometimes i read these posts and i wonder how people have so much patience. if a car wash door came down on my roof and it was their fault i would be absolutely furious. well, not right away, if they were sorry about it and were willing to make it right i would be really cool about it seeing as accidents happen. but, if they were trying to dodge it and act like they have no responsibility, i would go NUTS on them! i would gather up all my friends and block all their wash bays or something. i would never let something like that get the best of me. hell, i would spend a couple days there just waiting for some kind of management to show up and then chew them out for trying to force hundreds of dollars of damage onto me. straight up bogus! i hope you get it resolved soon man!
At least I know I'm not the only one who will go berserk.

And Esso Car Wash should be deemed classless if they don't do their part and fix their mess.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #23
stateless
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambat View Post

hahaha! thanks!

On one hand I know shit happens and the gas station attendants didn't personally build the device the controls the door, but on the other hand their attitude really does piss me off, and the fact that the car won't be the same after.

I've had chronic health problems and extreme pain over many years, and at one point nearly died (thanks in part to tapeworms—always use a meat thermometer and avoid sushi/sashimi, kids, as the consequences are really fucking not worth it), so in perspective as upsetting as this is (and it is), it's hard to get too upset when there are worse things that I'm glad to no longer be dealing with. I still have lots of health problems (genetic digestive issues the tapeworms made far worse from the damage they caused), but I'm significantly better now to the point where I don't have to live with that kind of pain on a regular basis and the tapeworms appear dead.

That said, if they refuse to pay I'm going to the local news with this story to make people aware of the potential risks and lack of accountability (not just from the obvious risks that one would expect from regular operation) and to put some pressure on them, because it really is bullshit.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #24
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
My uncle owns shell gas stations in Calgary .. This is a very common thing that happens with elderly people coz they forget to move forward .. I have seen both cases where shell paid for the damages and when they didn't and used the "use at your own risk" card.

As for the security footage .. There is alot of shady things they can pull on you and you will never likely see the footage .. We never show a customer any of the footage it's a security thing ..

But good luck with this, I used to know the TM for ESSO in NE Calgary , if I can dig up her info I'll send it your way

I-Tapatalk
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #25
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
This blows! I never use those car wash, I feel 10$ is too much (and now comes with free roof damage!).
All I can say is keep bugging them, bug bug bug, if they refuse they will eventually work something out hopefully. If it leads nowhere and dont want laywers involve try to get some gas cards at least.

Good luck.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #26
stateless
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashal View Post
My uncle owns shell gas stations in Calgary .. This is a very common thing that happens with elderly people coz they forget to move forward .. I have seen both cases where shell paid for the damages and when they didn't and used the "use at your own risk" card.

As for the security footage .. There is alot of shady things they can pull on you and you will never likely see the footage .. We never show a customer any of the footage it's a security thing ..

But good luck with this, I used to know the TM for ESSO in NE Calgary , if I can dig up her info I'll send it your way

I-Tapatalk
Thanks, it was actually at the Esso on 17th Ave and 37 St SW. Yeah, I figured they would erase the footage as soon as possible unless it showed me sitting there after the timer expired, which it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottopilot View Post
This blows! I never use those car wash, I feel 10$ is too much (and now comes with free roof damage!).
All I can say is keep bugging them, bug bug bug, if they refuse they will eventually work something out hopefully. If it leads nowhere and dont want laywers involve try to get some gas cards at least.

Good luck.
thanks, I get the washes for free from points for gassing up (the real price is definitely a ripoff! I can wash my car much better at a manual wash 2-3 times for the same price... I just use the auto in winter to keep the salt off).
Old 12-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #27
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
First Id call/email Esso corporate and see who I can speak with and how far that gets.

If that fails I'd also call/email the local newspaper or tv consumer advocate and explain how they had video but deny responsibility and don't give you a corporate number to call, etc.

I'm not a lawyer but Ill bet anything their disclaimer does not relenquish them of liability if under normal operation the door comes down on your roof.

Were you milking the dryer when this happened? Even if you were there should be a sensor when the car is under the door.

Your very last option could be a lawyer, for advice anyway.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #28
stateless
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashal View Post

I-Tapatalk
btw, your uncle's name doesn't happen to be Billy Birk by any chance?