follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
dco107

Drives: Scion FR-S (mt)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Steering Wheel Off-Centered

I may be thinking about it too much, but it bugs me. My steering wheel is slightly left when driving straight. Anyone else notice this or know if I can straighten the wheel? (The car does not pull and tire pressures are even)
Thanks in advance
dco107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
mact

Drives: 13 GTI
Take it to the dealer to see if they can get it re-aligned for you.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You just now noticed this or you hit a curb or pothole since purchase? It should be straight as a laser beam, which is in stark contrast to the common line of horseshit you are fed after attempting to get an alignment...surely you've heard it before:

"all cars are designed from the factory to pull slightly to the right in case you fall asleep"

To which I reply: "funny, every new car I've ever purchased was not set up correctly then, because they drove perfectly straight from day 1"...<deer in headlights look appears on face of moron technician>.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fistpoint For This Useful Post:
idreamofdrifting (03-21-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dco107 View Post
I may be thinking about it too much, but it bugs me. My steering wheel is slightly left when driving straight. Anyone else notice this or know if I can straighten the wheel? (The car does not pull and tire pressures are even)
Thanks in advance
Lol, i thought i was the only one. Mine is a little to the left as well. Just gonna have it fixed when i go in for my first oil change.
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
its an alignment issue. get one and itll be fixed. like second poster said if you hit a curb or pothole it could have caused it

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #6
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dco107 View Post
Thanks in advance
Most road surfaces are cambered (slanted) slightly to the right on each side of the center “crown” of the road. This is necessary for water drainage in rain; we would not want our roads to be “cupped” and pooling all the water in the road center, creating a lake.

Now, if the steering is set up to be perfectly centered traveling along a truly flat piece of pavement, then when traveling along a road with a slight rightward slant, the driver needs to compensate slightly with a tiny bit of left-turn steering to keep from drifting off the right side of the road.

Other factors may play a role as well, such as driver weight, a heavy passenger, crosswinds, etc.

The car can be set up to have the steering wheel dead centered when on the average crowned road. It’s up to you how you want yours set up.

If the steering wheel is not dead-center level, spokes parallel to the horizon on any given road, it does not necessarily indicate a problem. However, if you notice a sudden change from what it had been, then that probably calls for a visit to an alignment shop.

Hope this has been useful and helpful.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-20-2013), suaveflooder (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 01:56 AM   #7
motofan

Drives: 10 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Most road surfaces are cambered (slanted) slightly to the right on each side of the center “crown” of the road. This is necessary for water drainage in rain; we would not want our roads to be “cupped” and pooling all the water in the road center, creating a lake.

Now, if the steering is set up to be perfectly centered traveling along a truly flat piece of pavement, then when traveling along a road with a slight rightward slant, the driver needs to compensate slightly with a tiny bit of left-turn steering to keep from drifting off the right side of the road.

Other factors may play a role as well, such as driver weight, a heavy passenger, crosswinds, etc.

The car can be set up to have the steering wheel dead centered when on the average crowned road. It’s up to you how you want yours set up.

If the steering wheel is not dead-center level, spokes parallel to the horizon on any given road, it does not necessarily indicate a problem. However, if you notice a sudden change from what it had been, then that probably calls for a visit to an alignment shop.

Hope this has been useful and helpful.
This is also what I'm going to say. Find a very flat road and test it.
P.S. ford or someone has a new electronic power steering that can compensate road crown or lateral wind blow.
motofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:14 AM   #8
Nick26

Drives: Vs Commodore (86 GTS on order)
All vechicles are built 4-5mm shorter on one side, depending on which country you live in, to automatically accommodate for camber, every car for the last 10+ years has been built this way.

Any dealer telling you it automatically accommodates for camber via steering calibration is either trying really hard to spin stuff to sell it, or has no idea what hes on about.
Nick26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick26 View Post
All vechicles are built 4-5mm shorter on one side, depending on which country you live in, to automatically accommodate for camber, every car for the last 10+ years has been built this way.
Interesting. Can you verify this?
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRiSson For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
SkitterSkotter

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
get an alignment, it is free and covered by warranty if done within the first 10,000 miles. I had to get one a few thousand ago and all is well now.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
blkwrxwag

Drives: DS FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
It's super easy to adjust yourself - takes 5 minutes. Read up on adjusting the front tie rods. You don't even have to jack the car up
blkwrxwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #12
Nick26

Drives: Vs Commodore (86 GTS on order)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
Interesting. Can you verify this?
By trade I am a vehicle body repairer. You can see yourself by doing a simple rope test wheel alightment, one side will be shorter by a a small number measuring center to center after aligning your wheels.
Nick26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick26 View Post
By trade I am a vehicle body repairer. You can see yourself by doing a simple rope test wheel alightment, one side will be shorter by a a small number measuring center to center after aligning your wheels.
Yet the car still drives perfectly straight, yes? Because mine sure as hell does and all before it. That was the very first thing I smiled about when I got 100 feet out of the dealership parking lot...no more pulling right like my old car with multiple problems in the tie-rod and boot areas.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #14
Jesse
wheel gap

Drives: whiteout frs, 04 xrs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
can get an alignment under warranty for sure
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote