follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2019, 07:14 AM   #1
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wireless internet in 2019 limite brz

Hi guys,

I want to have WiFi connection in car. I use prepaid ATT on my cell with unlimited data which does not allow to use the phone as hotspot. Why I want to have internet in car! I drive long distances very often and would like to use my phone and car screen separately. I like to use my car play and to have google maps on the head-unit, but it puts the directions automatically on the phone. Therefore, you can not open YouTube or any other application on the phone.

I have the star link button on the screen but doubt that it has built in WiFi!

Obt2 is an option but I am afraid for hacking and opening the doors

What is the best option? Happy to hear what you guys do.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Go buy a Hotspot.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Google Maps still provides turn by turn instructions via a banner when the app isn’t open on CarPlay. Moreover, it also can speak to you to provide those turn by turn instructions, when something else is on the screen.

Rather than paying more money for a hotspot, you could also just look up the directions, remember them, print them out, etc. You know, how people figured out how to get places before GPS. No offense, but people’s reliability on GPS to even get around their own town makes me sick - and I’m not even old!

Side note - what are you doing watching and searching YouTube videos when you are driving??
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J1Avs For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee View Post
I use prepaid ATT on my cell with unlimited data which does not allow to use the phone as hotspot.
Then upgrade your plan, your phone, or both. Or root your phone and use the mobile hot spot without AT&T's permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
Rather than paying more money for a hotspot, you could also just look up the directions, remember them, print them out, etc. You know, how people figured out how to get places before GPS. No offense, but people’s reliability on GPS to even get around their own town makes me sick - and I’m not even old!
Part of the kit I would receive on the first day of each of my television jobs was a thick map book of the city. I wouldn't go back to that for anything. Used along with some common sense, Google Maps is a vast improvement.

People who want to go back to paper maps probably buy hand drills and reel lawnmowers.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-15-2019), spike021 (05-15-2019), Tcoat (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 12:10 PM   #5
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Google Maps still provides turn by turn instructions via a banner when the app isn’t open on CarPlay. Moreover, it also can speak to you to provide those turn by turn instructions, when something else is on the screen.

Side note - what are you doing watching and searching YouTube videos when you are driving??

Thanks for the suggestions. I know the banner and voice assistance but missed several times the right directions. Memorizing is definitely an option but it will take some time.
Regarding the you tube videos, yes they are always open. I do not watch but listen. Even the whole night it’s always on. That’s a habit for years. I know it’s bad for health

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
J1Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Then upgrade your plan, your phone, or both. Or root your phone and use the mobile hot spot without AT&T's permission.

Part of the kit I would receive on the first day of each of my television jobs was a thick map book of the city. I wouldn't go back to that for anything. Used along with some common sense, Google Maps is a vast improvement.

People who want to go back to paper maps probably buy hand drills and reel lawnmowers.
Not saying you need to use a paper map, but you can use google maps as a map to see where you have to go, learn your route/alternate routes, and learn your area, rather than needing someone to tell you to “turn right now”. My generation (millennials) - at least those I know - seem to be absolutely incapable of getting anywhere without turn by turn instructions.

Don’t even get my started on Uber drivers who drive the same city day in and day out and still have no idea where they are going because all they do is rely on turn by turn GPS....
The Following User Says Thank You to J1Avs For This Useful Post:
Busybee (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

100% agree! Those that think paper maps or directions are better are out of their mind. Using electronic GPS devices is not being lazy or incompetent but is simply more efficient. Especially those that update traffic condition, construction, closures, etc. I will indeed use my GPS to drive the same route I have every day for 20 years just to know what is going on ahead of me. This very morning it saved me sitting stopped on the highway for 45 minutes or so because they had a section closed for repair. If I hadn't had the GPS on I would not have known and been able to avoid it.

No doubt there are many millennial hipsters that feel paper is the way to go though.
gravitylover (03-08-2020), spike021 (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #8
J1Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
100% agree! Those that think paper maps or directions are better are out of their mind. Using electronic GPS devices is not being lazy or incompetent but is simply more efficient. Especially those that update traffic condition, construction, closures, etc. I will indeed use my GPS to drive the same route I have every day for 20 years just to know what is going on ahead of me. This very morning it saved me sitting stopped on the highway for 45 minutes or so because they had a section closed for repair. If I hadn't had the GPS on I would not have known and been able to avoid it.

No doubt there are many millennial hipsters that feel paper is the way to go though.
All perks as well. Knowing what’s ahead of you is critical, all on board for that. I always check my route and what traffic flow, construction, etc. looks like. I’m just highlighting that people’s inability to navigate through their surroundings, especially their local area without “turn by turn” directions is shameful. God forbid the network went down, so many people would have no idea how to get anywhere. Additionally because Google Maps and Waze also have a tendency to route everyone to same way, it increases traffic flow on those routes and often routes you through areas that were not built for that traffic flow.

I often find going my own route, that google maps and waze will fight the whole time, gets me home quicker than what they quoted me on when I started my trip.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Additionally because Google Maps and Waze also have a tendency to route everyone to same way, it increases traffic flow on those routes and often routes you through areas that were not built for that traffic flow.
Waze is crap. It sent me to the wrong place so many times I just gave up and uninstalled it.

Google Maps selects the best route based on travel time for the current conditions. If it routes people through streets that were not designed for the traffic, that's a failing of the government entity that didn't properly maintain those streets. If the streets really can't handle the traffic, the traffic speed will slow down, Google will detect the change, and Google Maps will route people away from there.

Five years ago Google would often do stupid things. Now it has gotten really, really good. I use it frequently enough to notice the difference.

Quote:
I often find going my own route, that google maps and waze will fight the whole time, gets me home quicker than what they quoted me on when I started my trip.
My dad and brother both do this. They have all these "short cuts" they think cuts minutes and hours off their driving time. Then, when we're moving around in multiple cars, they don't understand how I'm sitting there waiting for them when they arrive. I like to say, "What took so long? Did you take one of your long cuts?"

I drive too much to waste time on delusions.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #10
Tcoat

Quote:
Waze is crap. It sent me to the wrong place so many times I just gave up and uninstalled it.

Google Maps selects the best route based on travel time for the current conditions. If it routes people through streets that were not designed for the traffic, that's a failing of the government entity that didn't properly maintain those streets. If the streets really can't handle the traffic, the traffic speed will slow down, Google will detect the change, and Google Maps will route people away from there.

Five years ago Google would often do stupid things. Now it has gotten really, really good. I use it frequently enough to notice the difference.

My dad and brother both do this. They have all these "short cuts" they think cuts minutes and hours off their driving time. Then, when we're moving around in multiple cars, they don't understand how I'm sitting there waiting for them when they arrive. I like to say, "What took so long? Did you take one of your long cuts?"

Since I spend so much time in the US and cell data roaming charges are about the same as the GNP of Denmark I use a stand alone GPS. I spent a little extra for my current unit to have live traffic updates and routes planned based upon that data. I may take a different route every time I am headed to the same destination since it will always direct me the way that traffic is flowing the fastest. What I learned early on was that all of my preconceived "shortcuts" are rarely provided as an option by the GPS. The few times I forced it to use my "shorter" route it always ended up being a couple of minutes slower. It dashed my preconceived notions of decades to little bits.
gravitylover (03-08-2020)
Old 05-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #11
J1Avs

Quote:

So correct me if I’m wrong, but what you are saying is that you and google both know my routes better than I do, and that after testing multiple routes at the same time of day, successfully proving Google’s route is slower, that Google is still the correct way to go?

Additionally, when I mentioned streets not designed for traffic, that has nothing to do with a government entity maintaining roads. It has everything to do with google routing through neighborhoods that were not designed to handle the traffic flow that google maps has thrown at it - also really sucks for the people in those neighborhoods.

I’m glad we agree that Waze is utter shenanigans though, other than the speed trap heads up.

I’ll also caveat that we likely live in very different areas, where traffic patterns, as well as the sheer volume of traffic affects how successful these routing programs are. For instance, where I live, traffic sucks every day, at pretty much all hours of the day, in every direction on basically every road. When I actually lived down town in DC, navigating the city was truly more of an art form than anything else.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:52 PM   #12
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Am I the only one, especially a younger person, that doesn't use a GPS? Just memorizes significant intersections and travels based on that?....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Mr.ac (05-15-2019), wolffbite (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 01:53 PM   #13
J1Avs

And hey, sometimes the long cut, is a less stressful ride. I’d take 5 minutes of extra time on the road to not sit in bumper to bumper traffic any day.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #14
Tcoat

Quote:

I’ll also caveat that we likely live in very different areas, where traffic patterns, as well as the sheer volume of traffic affects how successful these routing programs are. .
This works both ways. There are people (like I) where the GPS is the far better option since traffic on the routes can vary significantly from day to day. To say that just knowing a route there does not work as well for me. This is also why many Uber drivers use a GPS even if they may know the roads perfectly well. The presumption that everybody uses them because they don't know where they are going or can't be bothered to memorize directions is a bit pretentious. People that like to use their own "shortcuts" always feel they have figured out some trick when in reality if it is such a good shortcut then everybody would use it and it would no longer be shorter.