follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #57
AbaoKu

Drives:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My girlfriend actually loves my car and almost traded in her Acura RDX for a BRZ with me. She still drives that RDX and also has a MB G450 so we at least have one car that is practical when it comes to marriage and kids. I don't know what your GF drives but do you need two practical cars? As long as she doesn't drive another two-seater I think you are all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AbaoKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #58
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I am so glad that I am single and the only women in my car are there only as long as I want them to be.
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #59
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If she loves you then she'll understand that its your car your money and it's your decision.

If she can't respect you now she's not going to start later. Not a recipe for a healthy relationship.

And yes my future wife appreciates that my car makes me happy and that its my money to spend.

Edit: and we have a 4 year old and newborn. Dump the bitch.

Last edited by s0sl0w; 10-23-2014 at 11:51 PM.
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:14 AM   #60
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
I'm 6'5"/250 lbs, and not especially thin, so here's my thought as someone that takes more effort to get down to the ground and then get back up.

I bought my BRZ and it's my only car. I'm completely happy with it, and it makes me smile every time I walk out to get in.
Soul brother! 6'5"/310 lbs here.

My wife brought mine home so I could test drive it after work. My mom is 78 and loves riding in it. They ganged up on me to convince me to spend the money. What can I say, I'm a truly lucky bastard.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #61
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Is there any way to delete this thread? so many people took my message the wrong way and just assumed my gf is a bitch, and I'm not sure if I quite appreciate that...

She's expressing she doesn't like the car for practical reasons, and also said in the end it was my decision.

Trying to take her opinions about a car into consideration is not something that should be frowned upon, even if it is my own money spent.

Think about how she will be involved in it:

she may have to drive it if I can't drive it for some reason (alcohol, etc).
she has to ride in it every time we go anywhere, which we will start taking mine more often since we used hers quite a bit due to my 98 buick being a crappy ride.
she's a woman. Women tend to be ready for family and all that other stuff quicker than men, so she thinks ahead and asks important questions about such a big purchase decision.

Honestly, I get that you guys love your cars, and trust me, I'm gonna get one of these two cars. But the way you demean my girlfriend from a story that involves her pointing out the impracticality of these cars and expressing her opinion does not give you the right to call her a bitch.

Where the hell do you guys get that she doesn't respect me from a small amount of information posted on this thread? come on.

I really appreciate the genuine feedback on the pros and cons of each cars, but those who chose to demean someone important to me while lacking any kind of information to make such judgments really need to reconsider about the way you see things in life, and whether or not you're proud to have such a blurred and biased vision of it.
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spicyricecake For This Useful Post:
Annahra (10-24-2014), AznBRZer (10-24-2014), Reign (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #62
Reign
Armchair Philosopher 9000

Drives: Release Series 1.0 6MT #114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
had a small argument about the BRZ with my gf yesterday.

Well said spicyricecake, the insults are unnecessary.

Just as our driving may get a little spirited sometimes, so do our online discussions. I think most of us just wants to see you also become part of the 86 family!
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #63
Annahra

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ LTD
@spicyricecake, There's a certain culture that surrounds a car like this, and it tends to be pretty sexist. I wouldn't take any of these posts seriously as any thread where someone mentions his girlfriend is usually going to involve some girlfriend bashing. Some of it is legitimate opinion, and some of it is just for shock value. Either way, it's not specific to your situation and is just a general attitude that comes up a lot.

To your original question, try sitting down with her and doing a pros/cons based on how long you will own the vehicle. I'm a girl and I daily drive the car and it's fabulous for me--great gas mileage, comfy seats, quick, and small so fun to maneuver. However, it is a pain to get in and out in heels and while carrying things, and I wouldn't want the hassle of trying to cram a baby seat in the back.

My previous car was a 2010 Genesis 2.0t and for me, the BRZ is superior. In addition to the gas mileage, it's a good bit smaller so it's overall more fun to drive and easier to park/merge (I had an older model so there wasn't much difference in power--newer 2.0t is faster so there's that). I even find that the BRZ has more usable cargo space because it doesn't have the stupid plastic cut out when I lower the back seats. Neither is really practical for kids--the Genesis has more room in the back but that just means you go into different contortions trying to get back there to get a car seat out. You can reasonably put three people in a Gen coupe though and not a BRZ.
Annahra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #64
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Garage
My wife hates it for hard to get out. But to make it up, I always open door and assist her and she liked it because i don't do it for other cars. She is not big, just a tiny asian
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #65
Liehtw8

Drives: 2022 Toyota GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I thought I was a big dude for this car till reading through the thread. 6'2" 265lbs wide shoulders, in shape

The brz is not my daily but I have put some decent kms on it. My wife was also concerned with room for baby. But we are able to take her with us. It is not easy though. Tricky to get her in and out of her car seat. Then the stroller and everything else that comes with travelling with an infant is also a pain. Her concerns are very valid.

If this is your only vehicle between the two of you with a possible child in the near future it may not be the car for you. But neither would a genny. On the other hand though it is a possession. It can be sold or traded for something more fitting when that time comes.

Not sure if this helps you at all in your decision. But at the end of the day if you are serious about your gf it is not just your decision. I don't care what all these other guys say. It's a two way street.

Happy wife, Happy life
Liehtw8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Liehtw8 For This Useful Post:
spicyricecake (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #66
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Happy husband, happy...

Oh, f**k it. Just go buy the car already.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #67
STI-ish

Drives: 13 BRZ Sport Tech Turbo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ok...so I'm a girl and I drive my BRZ as a DD (but winter stored). My car is also lowered. I see where she is coming from with the ease of getting in and out...but its a small price to pay for a sexy car!
I have driven my car in heels and a dress/skirt with no major issues....I just take my time getting in and out. I think a previous poster had mentioned about being able to open the door all the way....this makes a huge difference. I don't tend to park near other people so this is never an issue for me.
I've even had my 93 yr old grandma go for a ride in my car!! I had to help her out but she managed!
I've never had anyone in the back seat - no kids and no plans for kids. And we do have the option of other vehicles to drive if we are taking other people along.
We test drove the genesis when it first came out and the BRZ/FRS is a thousand times nicer!
There may be more room in the back seat of the genesis...but I'm 5'3" and it wasn't comfortable for me back there.
STI-ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #68
Natheria
Overlord

Drives: SWP 13 BRZ, 94 Miata
Garage
I do have an issue with the specific angle of where the seat is positioned way far forward and the fact that the door is long anyway so you have to open it farther thatn normal doors. I don't really have a problem with how low it is but that couple with the bucket seats high sides does make it a little more difficult to get in and out. I wouldn't trade any of it for the world though.

My girlfriend dosen't seem to have too much trouble with it since im very picky about parking, although last night she was complaining about the headrest and the fact that she cant rest her head on it without it pressing her bun into her head (she has very long hair).
You can't please em all. At least she says it's like sitting in a jet fighter cockpit. ^_^
Old 10-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #69
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natheria View Post
My girlfriend last night was complaining about the headrest and the fact that she cant rest her head on it without it pressing her bun into her head (she has very long hair).
You can't please em all. ^_^
You can put the headrest on backward, it's designed for fitting passenger with helm! It should be fine with her hair try it!
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:47 PM   #70
Natheria
Overlord

Drives: SWP 13 BRZ, 94 Miata
Garage
Yeah i did mention it to her. Next time i might try it the next time she wears her hair up. i tried doing it once but you have to push the seat way back for the headrest to clear the roofline.