follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #43
Linseal

Drives: Argento MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I heard changing your own oil voids that warranty. That it has to be done by someone who is certified and you have to have the paperwork to prove it.
Linseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #44
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
hm... good read
Old 07-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #45
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linseal View Post
I heard changing your own oil voids that warranty. That it has to be done by someone who is certified and you have to have the paperwork to prove it.
Not really, you just need some paper trail to show that it was done, like receipts for purchases of oil and filters.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #46
wallace03

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_g View Post
Speed holes might.....
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh if i remember correctly that is suppose to be Homer and not Krusty in those pics. WTF?
Old 07-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #47
Rob_g

Drives: 2010 4Runner Trail
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace03 View Post
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh if i remember correctly that is suppose to be Homer and not Krusty in those pics. WTF?
It is Homer, dressed as Krusty.

Rob
Rob_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:10 PM   #48
kurbkilla

Drives: Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would not do any thing till the warranty is up the comments here have all been about the dealerships, and the dealerships dont have the final word toyota/subaru do.
http://www.scion.com/cars/FR-S/warranty/

https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/warranties-2013.html
From scions warranty page 13 "WHAT IS NOT COVERED This warranty does not cover damage or failures resulting directly or indirectly from any of the following: Alteration or tampering, including installation of non-Scion Authorized Accessories........Installation of non-Scion Authorized Part....."

From Subarus warranty
"Damage or Malfunction Due to Improper Repair or Unauthorized PartsThese warranties do not cover any part which malfunctions, fails or is damaged due to any unauthorized alterationor modification made to the vehicle such as the removal of parts or the installation of parts, equipment or accessoriesor improper repairs or adjustments not approved or recommended by SOA."

What is directly/indirectly or unauthorized modification mean? It means whatever they want it to mean. Tires however are in a separate warranty

So again wait till the warranty is up. This is the first year these came out and there is bound to be problems in the late life of the car.

As a side note I badly want to mod this car and I do love toyota so dont get me wrong I just want to be cautious and get what I pay for.
kurbkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #49
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurbkilla View Post
What is directly/indirectly or unauthorized modification mean? It means whatever they want it to mean. Tires however are in a separate warranty.

So again wait till the warranty is up. This is the first year these came out and there is bound to be problems in the late life of the car.

As a side note I badly want to mod this car and I do love toyota so dont get me wrong I just want to be cautious and get what I pay for.
That's basically what it boils down to... you've got to pay to play. The cars are plenty fun off the showroom floor. If it isn't enough, get a faster car or wait for the STI variant, both of which will give you more thrills and a valid warranty. Problem solved.

My first car when I started driving ~13 years ago was a Honda that I started modding, and after the nightmares that I dealt with in getting it smogged, getting pulled over for various mods, taking it to the dealership for problems that they would blame on whatever aftermarket part, I knew that my next car would just stay stock, but I'd pick a car that performed how I wanted a car to perform in factory form. Two (minor) warranty claims later, I'm a happy man with everything having been taken care of.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #50
Skurj

Drives: SOLD...
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
An experience I had with my local Toyota service manager recently when my 2009 yaris was due for trans oil change (5spd) . I requested synthetic be put in it, and he said to me "You and I both know the trans will be better for it, but this will void your warranty". I'm hoping he meant just on the trans but anyways I went ahead and had synth put in. They have been puttin synth in at the oil changes for me no problem though.

Kinda stupid, but I guess we can't expect the manufacturer to test with every conceivable combination...
Replaced with 18 50th edition ND
Skurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #51
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
There's a warranty denial report thread on nasioc. 100% more useful than random speculation.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dsgerbc For This Useful Post:
continuecrushing (10-17-2014)
Old 11-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #52
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
It really comes down to your individual dealer, and to be specific, your service manager. At the end of the day this guy can make your life easy if you mod the car or very difficult. I had a very honest conversation with my service manager for my current car (Genesis Coupe) and he told me flat out that intake and exhaust should not cause any problems for a warranty claim. He told me that ECU was another story and gave me a wink...

My brother-in-law is a regional factory warranty person for volvo. His job is to review all the warranty requests in his region from the dealerships. He's told me many times ... the service manager really doesn't have the "authority" to make a decision on the warranty claims. If it's simple ... fine. But if its questionable .... he needs to discuss it with the warranty person. If you REALLY want to know if the mod will void your warranty ... I suggest you talk directly to the factory warranty official.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #53
vignesh
Engineer

Drives: WRB 2022 Subaru Brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
i recently installed revworks headers, and after the installation i got the p0031 code. I thought maybe it might just be a loose connection somewhere, so i double check and no luck there. Do u think warranty will cover the o2 sensor. Or do I have to go buy the o2 a/f ratio sensor.
vignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #54
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Point of note: keeping your car stock does not guarantee warranty coverage. There are plenty of instances of people being denied coverage due to "improper use," etc.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:08 PM   #55
makesdrivingfunagain

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverizzles View Post
So obviously i'm sure most of us on this forum is going to mod this bad boy, but what mods specifically are going to void the warranty? I don't really plan on doing anything internal or FI for a couple years to let the market mature a bit, but would lets say, intake, header, exhaust void the warranty?

I would recommend calling the dealer (or a few if the technician seems incompetent) to find out. They are the authority on the matter. I thought there may be a little information in the owners manual on this topic. I thought it eluded to some mods voiding the warranty, it may have mentioned suspension...not sure if anything else, it has been a while...Good luck with your future mods.

Ryan
makesdrivingfunagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #56
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Driving it slowly voids the warranty 1 mile at a time.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
DC2R (01-14-2014), ToyotaFan84 (01-23-2017)