follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #43
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
Nice try at jabbing at me for buying an auto. Real classy and speaks volumes about your character.
Not like it was completely uncalled for. :P

Clearly I'm just not as enlightened. Anyway, cheers. I'll get it enabled at a dealer.

:happy0180:

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:03 AM   #44
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
auto-off is not the same as auto. auto is the setting on the stalk and AUTO-OFF means after a time period they do shut off automatically (even tho the stalk says on) so that your battery does not die... ive seen cars do it a lot at my job (valet) when a stupid self park customer leaves his lights on (i looked in at his stalk position out of curiosity)
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lbroskee For This Useful Post:
Squishy86 (08-08-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #45
Tuan

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tuan
Quote:
Originally Posted by myjobis2pimp View Post
I downloaded techstream online free of charge. (do at own risk) and changed the settings myself. It worked like a champ. Now My lights turn off after about 30 secs and also I turned off the ugly running daytime lights but if you are not computer literate or have no idea what you are doing then just simply take your car into a dealer. The comment that I saw about waiting twenty mins for your lights to turn off is BS. That just simply sounds like a lazy dealer or either they have lack of knowledge about the cars that they are selling because they can simply adjust the settings for you.
Two service techs at a Toyota dealer in Orange County told me that this could not be done (even gave them naikaidriver's TFSM reference). I finally demanded a third service tech to open up the TIS software in front of me, and lo and behold, that option came up on the screen. They want to charge $112 to change the setting. Looks like I'll be going the techstream route.
Tuan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tuan For This Useful Post:
myjobis2pimp (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 03:33 AM   #46
myjobis2pimp

Drives: Raven Kraftwerks Supercharged FRS
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
Two service techs at a Toyota dealer in Orange County told me that this could not be done (even gave them naikaidriver's TFSM reference). I finally demanded a third service tech to open up the TIS software in front of me, and lo and behold, that option came up on the screen. They want to charge $112 to change the setting. Looks like I'll be going the techstream route.

See I decided to get the software after hearing about all of the things that you can do yourself with it. Now to me it just seems like your dealer is an asshole . My dealer told me that I could come in and get it done for free if need be. I'm about an hour away from my dealer, so I just decided to get the program so that I can do it from the convenience of my house. I've only had my car since March but have made lil changes here and there and I must say that techstream has solved alot of my issues, autolamp, auto lock, alarm lock sound volume etc...... Goodluck with your newly purchase when you get it.
myjobis2pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #47
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I see this has already been cleared up a bit above, but I did get verification from Scion that it does work and is set to 20 minutes. I was going to try it on mine, but have decided better of it. That's a pretty long drain on the battery.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Propaganda (08-08-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #48
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post

I'm pretty sure the 30/60/90sec delay some have mentioned above is for the auto-off on the interior dome light and not the headlights. Has someone actually changed it and see it make a difference in the headlights?

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #49
MotorboatinSonOfA

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Raven MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I hate to revive a dead thread but I've been talking to Scion customer service about the auto off headlight feature and they told me the same thing, that the auto-off headlamp feature exists in the form of the battery safety feature in which it cuts off power to it after 20 minutes. I've spoken with two people so far (a cust service rep and her manager). I am going to take it as far as I can go. I already mentioned that I would speak to the BBB if necessary but I don't know if I'm really gonna go that far unless there's a way that they can actually help me get this feature put in.

I'm supposed to be getting a phone call tomorrow from the second person's manager. I'll post the outcome here if I remember to.
MotorboatinSonOfA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #50
SliverBrz

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The 20 mins probably is the feature lol.

What a lousy feature.

My brz however shuts off after 30 secs or so
SliverBrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #51
sprintertrueno86

Drives: 2018 BMW M2
20 mins?!?!?

sprintertrueno86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sprintertrueno86 For This Useful Post:
AznBRZer (08-07-2013), Brndn704 (08-08-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #52
oldpueblo

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 #853
Garage
I don't recall if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I could've sworn you can adjust that via that programming thingie. That's the technical term btw.
oldpueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #53
oldpueblo

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 #853
Garage
I can't tell you how many times I've not turned on my lights at night when getting into the car because I was in very well lit parking lot and just didn't think about it. Later as you're going down the road and people start flashing you is when you remember. Assuming nobody has hit you yet.
oldpueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #54
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You guys need to do this...

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35431
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #55
MotorboatinSonOfA

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Raven MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
I don't recall if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I could've sworn you can adjust that via that programming thingie. That's the technical term btw.
I had my FR-S in at my dealer's service department and they were unable to modify the setting that is supposed to control the Auto off headlights. The setting can't be modified because there's no wiring / switch that goes to an 'auto mode'. They stated that they saw the setting, but changing it did nothing and it makes sense that it won't work until there's a switch / wiring to correspond with the auto off settings.

I know what you mean tho, I heard that some people used techstream to enable the auto-off headlights but I don't know if that's really true. If anyone has it would be great if they would post here and confirm it for everyone. The only reason I haven't bought the techstream cable and software (knock off for $25) is because I already know that it won't work.
MotorboatinSonOfA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #56
Propaganda
Diamonds & Cadillacs

Drives: '13 fr-s, 1974 911s
LOL. I can't believe people are arguing about this.

It's a simple convenience feature. It's nice to have. When I got my car, I was confused about this as well, and from what I've seen, the option in techstream is for the dome light to turn off after a certain time - my headlights never went off after 30, 60, or 90 seconds.

My car that was 5 years older and cost less than this had it, and both my mom's car and dad's truck have this feature. It's nice to have, once you have it. Night driving with multiple stops: turn car off, open doors, lights cut off. Get back in, turn car on, lights turn on automatically. No, it's not hard at all to just rotate the the switch on the stalk. Like I said, it's a simple convenience feature that's nice to have, if the car has it...
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote