follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
JRZ RS1 would be my vote with your budget, for a car that is primarily daily driven.

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/jrz-rs1-brz-frs

PM me for more details.
Up to $4k and you give him something that is $4370 before another (potentially) $300+ in taxes... I’m assuming free shipping. Come on now
Old 10-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #16
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
First priority is making sure you have wheels and tires fit, and choosing the right tire. 18x9.5 wheels and 265s are very large and not ideal for most people. Yes, they can work, but life will be a little easier even with just 9 inch wide wheels and 245s or 255s.

To help choose the right tire....how much track experience do you have? Is your car NA or do you plan to turbo?

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 03:19 PM   #17
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
To help choose the right tire....how much track experience do you have? Is your car NA or do you plan to turbo?

- Andrew
c'mon, with a statement like this do you have to ask?

Quote:
Desired Camber: only as much as is needed to make the wheels fit
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #18
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
c'mon, with a statement like this do you have to ask?
I know, but the 5 desired events a year....trying to figure out what all of this means and level of commitment....

- Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #19
Daedex
That One Guy

Drives: White 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
First priority is making sure you have wheels and tires fit, and choosing the right tire. 18x9.5 wheels and 265s are very large and not ideal for most people. Yes, they can work, but life will be a little easier even with just 9 inch wide wheels and 245s or 255s.

- Andrew

well, the coils are built around the wheel in this instance. Due to the PP, i have limited options on wheels that will fit on the car and look good (...imo, naturally). Since i am going with titan 7's, I am stuck with a 9.5" width.

Now, the tire size is more a point of contention, and after reviewing other peoples builds and statements, i'll just stick with 245 based on others comments and further review.

The car will not be turbo'd, but kept NA.

Track experience is negligible. I go every so often with friends to beat previous times, but it isnt a commitment. I just want to ensure i have a setup that will perform well under harsher conditions and spirited driving including the occasional track run. Safety and long-term durability are the takeaway points that are desired as this car will remain the DD, and road-trip car.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:04 PM   #20
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Up to $4k and you give him something that is $4370 before another (potentially) $300+ in taxes... I’m assuming free shipping. Come on now
Do you have a better suggestion?

Something tells me the RS1 fits in his stated budget.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:49 PM   #21
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Do you have a better suggestion?

Something tells me the RS1 fits in his stated budget.
Am I able to list the dozens of coilovers that are less than $4k? Of course. Anyone could have; anyone not hustling for a paycheck or impulse buys Considering he mentioned the KW V3, which are half that budget, I'm assuming maxing out his budget isn't his ideal choice.

I'm of the mind, like others, that he would be better off spending some of that $4k on LCA or other supporting suspension components than burning it all on a set of coilovers, or worse, going hundreds over budget unnecessarily.
Leonardo (10-26-2018), strat61caster (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 01:42 AM   #22
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
+1 tein flex or something single adjustable + lca good alignment and good coaches, have fun. Kw v3 can teach you something too I think if you want to spend a bit more, dive on in make mistakes, learn, shred some tires.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:02 AM   #23
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Am I able to list the dozens of coilovers that are less than $4k? Of course. Anyone could have; anyone not hustling for a paycheck or impulse buys Considering he mentioned the KW V3, which are half that budget, I'm assuming maxing out his budget isn't his ideal choice.

I'm of the mind, like others, that he would be better off spending some of that $4k on LCA or other supporting suspension components than burning it all on a set of coilovers, or worse, going hundreds over budget unnecessarily.
I didn't ask for cheaper solutions. I asked for *better* solutions. The RS1 is the best damper that fits in his budget. There are tons of cheaper options.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #24
antmit

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 Neptune
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@Daedex
This is an interesting topic and I am sort of in the same shoes as you. I think my car rides fine stock but I want some wheels that won't fit and I don't want to make it pokey with spacers. Suspension is one area in which it seems like the usual rule of higher $ means better doesn't necessarily apply. It looks like to me there's a cliff where suspension under a certain price point has quality compromises, but once you're past that point, you're starting to trade off decisions in how you want the suspension to perform.

I too have a >$4K budget for suspension but in my research it looks like the higher the $, the more track-oriented the suspension becomes, which I am finding most likely means compromises for daily driving. I think the idea behind adjustable suspension is that you can personalize it to you, but there are only so many toggles you can have on a suspension setup, those most often mentioned being rebound and compression damping. Then there will be some other aspects that are less easy to adjust, like the physical qualities of the spring installed like length and spring rate. All of these things need to work together to provide you a good driving experience.

The only thing I've figured out so far, is that it's important to pick a shop that is willing to help you figure out how you want to change your ride from stock, and to understand to what lengths will they go to help you. i.e, what if you buy something, and it sucks (to you) no matter how you tweak it. Are you SOL? Can you exchange for something else without too much hassle? I think that with a suspension purchase, you're effectively rolling the dice until you have it mounted on your car, with the wheels and tires you will use, and given some time to tweak settings. Sometimes you'll get lucky and you'll be happy out of the box with recommended settings, sometimes it will be hard to describe what you don't like about it, relative to what you previously had as suspension. This is why you want to work with experts that know what they're doing and want you to be happy, and will be willing to spend HOURS with helping you, versus those that are just selling stuff.

Fortunately for us, RCE and CSG seem like they're invested in helping 86/BRZ/FRS drivers, but we as customers too have to do our part to figure out how to qualitatively and quantitatively describe what we want. Both have been mostly responsive to me over email but unfortunately I've yet to buy anything.

I'm personally leaning towards trying the "new" Ohlins R&T with softer spring rates. This is because I have a 2019 86. I don't know if all suspension has been updated to match the 2017+ chassis updates but it seems like the Ohlins is most likely. I also like that it's made of aluminum and that I believe it's the only thing on the market with "DFV" which is patent protected which makes it a bit more unique. I don't know if it's any better than any other valving. I don't believe they licensed the technology to anyone. I have no idea if I'll like it or what it will be like vs stock.

Sure would be nice if there was a way for shops do suspension rentals or something like that.. lol. obviously easier said than done but there probably is a business plan and price point that could make it worth it.
antmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:14 PM   #25
Racecomp Engineering

We had a huge meet like 10 years ago with a lot of volunteers giving rides in their cars. We had almost every suspension set up available covered at the time.

- Andrew
Old 12-14-2018, 05:43 AM   #26
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
antmit: expert suspension shop workers often also have waste experience of how to ask/find out in layman's terms what change car owner actually want/need (which in reality might be very different of what it seems to customer that he needs/wants ). Gathering nfo from non tech-savvy customer also is a skill, that needs to be developed
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (12-14-2018)