follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2014, 04:51 AM   #1
Goodvibes

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Eibach Sportline Spring Install

This is a small write-up for my lowering springs install. I won't go over the whole process here as DarrenDriven already has a great guide http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10842, which I used. There are just a few things we did different that I wanted to post along with some photos.

Here are the shiny new springs.

I got the kit with roll bars as well but still haven't put them in. Waiting on new shocks first.

So when I first started reading about this project the top of the strut seemed to be an issue for some people who didn't hold the shaft in place while loosnening it. I didn't want to risk messing with the internals so I just used a thru socket set, http://www.kobalttools.com/products/...-tool-set.html like this one and an allen wrench to hold it in place. If anyone has some input on this, feel free to share.

Remember to remove the ABS and brake lines.

This is where my install took a turn. As we started to drop the shock and control arm we realized that there was enough clearance to pull away the strut without having to remove it from the rest of the hub. We also didn't have to remove the 3 nuts that hold the top hat. This saved us time on the front part of the install.

After putting the boot back over the bump stop and slipping on the new spring we reattached the sway bar link and positioned the assembly back through the top of the hat.

In order to get the jack back from under the car we put some pavers under the wheels so that it would raise it up.

For the rear we proceeded as normal.

There is no shortcut, that we could see, for the rear so that whole strut was removed. Only one bolt back here vs the two in the front so not too bad.

All that's left is to stuff the shock assembly back in place and make sure everything is bolted back up.

There's the rear back in place with red replacing stock.

Befores and Afters.

Overall it was a pretty straight forward install and fun to do. Also a good way to learn what's keeping your car planted to the ground. If anyone has suggestions or tips, let me know. Thanks for looking. And thanks to Chris Dunbar for the info and recommendation!

New Decals

Goodvibes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goodvibes For This Useful Post:
BAOVAN (12-20-2016)
Old 09-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Drives: FR-S No More
Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,091 Posts
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Neat trick for the front... cheater! I'm gonna have to try that!
DarrenDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
BAOVAN

Drives: 2015 Crystal White Pearl BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thank you so much for this post, I will be doing this to my BRZ this weekend . May I please ask a question regarding spring compressor? Did you have to use the spring compressor at all, especially for the front strut? It looked like you were able to remove the top hat nut with the strut still attached to the car.Thank you!
BAOVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Garage
The link to the DIY is in the first post of this topic.
The Following User Says Thank You to DarrenDriven For This Useful Post:
BAOVAN (12-20-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #5
BAOVAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenDriven View Post
The link to the DIY is in the first post of this topic.
Thank you Darren. I actually read that DIY a "thousand times" by now . I just want to make sure if it is possible to remove the top hat nut (front) without even using the spring compressor and with the strut left on the car like how he did in this threat. By the way, do you think a pass through and a hex key will work? I have an impact wrench but I'm scared to spin the shaft and blow it. Thank you for your help!

P/S: My apology if I missed it but is this the part Darren: "(Since writing this, I have simply started removing the nut by holding the strut vertically, pushing down with all of my weight with the impact wrench, then simply zipping the nut off. There just isn't enough pressure to cause a catastrophic reaction. This is potentially very dangerous, and I would not recommend ever doing it with hand tools as you just can't put enough downward pressure on the strut with a socket wrench. Try this at your own risk... I have had no issues, but if you hurt yourself then don't blame me!)

If you do not have an impact wrench then the only correct way is by using spring compressors. They are available at pretty much any auto parts store, and I think they are free loaners at Autozone. If you have ANY doubts about this step you should take your struts to an auto repair shop and have them remove your springs."

Last edited by BAOVAN; 12-19-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Additional information found!
Old 12-19-2016, 05:13 PM   #6
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Garage
My bad, I will let @Goodvibes chime in on that. I've only ever done it by removing the strut as an assembly and then using the impact gun ti remove the top nut.
BAOVAN (12-20-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 05:23 PM   #7
BAOVAN

Quote:
My bad, I will let @Goodvibes chime in on that. I've only ever done it by removing the strut as an assembly and then using the impact gun ti remove the top nut.
Thank you again! I have my Eibach Sportline waiting to be installed but I'm to scared to use the impact gun . Since you had used the impact gun for the top nut, what was your technique for not spinning the shaft?

Last edited by BAOVAN; 12-19-2016 at 05:24 PM. Reason: gramma
Old 12-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #8
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAOVAN View Post
Thank you again! I have my Eibach Sportline waiting to be installed but I'm to scared to use the impact gun . Since you had used the impact gun for the top nut, what was your technique for not spinning the shaft?
I assuming you mean when reinstalling. My gun has three settings and I always reinstalled the nut on the lowest setting while finessing the trigger in very short bursts. Never had a single problem with that technique.
BAOVAN (12-20-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 05:52 PM   #9
BAOVAN

Quote:
I assuming you mean when reinstalling. My gun has three settings and I always reinstalled the nut on the lowest setting while finessing the trigger in very short bursts. Never had a single problem with that technique.
Thank you Darren, In fact I meant both for removing and reinstalling. I hope this technique can also be used for the removal as well. I appreciated your prompt response very much.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #10
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Thank you Darren, In fact I meant both for removing and reinstalling. I hope this technique can also be used for the removal as well. I appreciated your prompt response very much.
Never had any issue removing the nut either. Used full power on the gun and the nut has come right off every time. Glad to help!
BAOVAN (12-20-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #11
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
You don't need to remove any of the top hats. You can actually do the same trick with the rear that the OP did with the front. Don't use your impact wrench. What you need is a pass-through socket set and 5mm and 6mm Allen wrenches. Mine have t-handles to make them easy to hold onto. The socket loosens the top nut while the Allen wrench passes through the socket and keeps the shaft from turning.

Jeebus did a write up on replacing springs without unbolting top hats from the car. Here's the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
If you're only changing springs, not struts or coilovers, you only need to unbolt the top nut, the brake line clip, and the swaybar nut. The springs are on so little static load that you can unbolt the nut and let the spring decompress as you raise the car. You just need to be careful fishing it out of the fender. The only special tools needed are a pass-through socket set and long allen wrenches.

DIYs:
DarrenDriven's very comprehensive strut remove/replace DIY
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10842

Jeebus' simpler spring remove/replace DIY (builds off of Darren's)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32414

Read both in their entirety before attempting. There is good info all through both threads.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
BAOVAN (12-20-2016), DarrenDriven (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #12
BAOVAN

Quote:
Never had any issue removing the nut either. Used full power on the gun and the nut has come right off every time. Glad to help!
Thank you sir!
Old 12-19-2016, 08:29 PM   #13
BAOVAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
You don't need to remove any of the top hats. You can actually do the same trick with the rear that the OP did with the front. Don't use your impact wrench. What you need is a pass-through socket set and 5mm and 6mm Allen wrenches. Mine have t-handles to make them easy to hold onto. The socket loosens the top nut while the Allen wrench passes through the socket and keeps the shaft from turning.

Jeebus did a write up on replacing springs without unbolting top hats from the car. Here's the info.
Thank you gramicci101 so much for the additional information. I am now 120% confident to do the job the correct way. My 2015 BRZ currently has only 21k miles on it and I hope the Eibach Sportline will not blow the strut like it had to many other 86 owners (considered the fact that I will not spin the shaft)
Old 12-20-2016, 01:58 AM   #14
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thank you gramicci101 so much for the additional information. I am now 120% confident to do the job the correct way. My 2015 BRZ currently has only 21k miles on it and I hope the Eibach Sportline will not blow the strut like it had to many other 86 owners (considered the fact that I will not spin the shaft)
I've installed/uninstalled many times and the pass through socket set from Harbor Freight with the Allen wrenches with handles does the trick with no risk of hurting/spinning the struts/shocks.

Yes you'll blow the struts/shocks, it's just a matter of when. I'd recommend coilovers from RaceComp Engineering instead of springs. I've had multiple sets of springs and RaceComp's yellow set was the best of all the ones I've tried and ridden in (H&R, Sportline, Pro-Kit, etc).
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stockysnail For This Useful Post:
BAOVAN (12-20-2016)