follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #197
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
It's still interesting figuring out what's behind the discrepancy. I'd say we're seeing why you really need 93 octane. The "rev-limiter in 2nd gear" could really be the ECU logic preventing revving too high on 91 octane.
maybe he wasnt in vsc sport mode...

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #198
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,943 Times in 11,378 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaX 07 View Post
I previously owned a 97 Nissan 240SX with full track suspension (coilovers and plenty more, I can't remember now because this was 5 years ago and the previous owner did the suspension work). But that car handled amazingly, probably better than a BRZ. It also had a stock motor, which put down 155hp. So yes the car had an amazing suspension and was fun to drive... for about 2 months of ownership. And then I got bored with its slowness.

I've driven several Corvettes as well, including 2 Z06's, and would own one if it fit my current lifestyle. I can't even imagine wanting to own one if it had a lousy 200hp engine. You can use the suspension and weight argument all you want, but if you think a 3,400 pound corvette with 405hp is NOT fun to drive well than you're just oblivious.
I can guarantee you I'm far from oblivious on the subject. My second choice right now is a ZL1. They are two different types of rides. Sure in the FRS I might wish it had more power on occasion. With the Camaro I will sometimes be frustrated that 99% of the time I'm using 20% of its power and getting lousy gas mileage in return. But I would love either car and live with the frustrations of each.

I've owned both an MR2 and a Z28 at the same time. Loved them both and wish I could afford both these two equivalents.

I'm favoring the FRS because its more economical and I can use the differential for a different toy.

The cars are different and different folks will want them but nothing here is a surprise. The 86 is what we've been told it would be. it just seems some folks want it to be more than that. its not and that's ok with me.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #199
nkrein22

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Not everyone on here is looking to make the car faster in a straight-line. Many of us don't want a high hp car that blasts off low 0-60 or 1/4 miles times. There are intangibles that we look for in a car. I realize that some want high hp and "fast" cars. That is great.

"Hellastock, nothing like resale value."
This is my first car purchase. I am 24 and drove a toyota camry since I was 15 1/2. I've always wanted to own a 2 door rear wheel drive toyota and magically right after I graduated college and started working full time this car came out. Pre-ordered march 6th. I decided on the subaru over the scion because scion seems like a meh I'm not good enough to be a toyota type brand. Never drove a manual in my life so I got Premium WR Blue Automatic. I bought this car because I love the body design, toyobaru did a great job. So ya I just wanted to agree with you that I don't need to burn people at stoplights or pretend I'm a hardass because I can go 60 in under 6 seconds. Just the look of the car should take care of that alone and the fact that it is being released in limited quantities
nkrein22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #200
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I can guarantee you I'm far from oblivious on the subject. My second choice right now is a ZL1. They are two different types of rides. Sure in the FRS I might wish it had more power on occasion. With the Camaro I will sometimes be frustrated that 99% of the time I'm using 20% of its power and getting lousy gas mileage in return. But I would love either car and live with the frustrations of each.

I've owned both an MR2 and a Z28 at the same time. Loved them both and wish I could afford both these two equivalents.

I'm favoring the FRS because its more economical and I can use the differential for a different toy.

The cars are different and different folks will want them but nothing here is a surprise. The 86 is what we've been told it would be. it just seems some folks want it to be more than that. its not and that's ok with me.

The ZL1 sounds like a great car on paper. Might even be great in person. But driving around in a submarine would annoy me after a while. Thw driver position/view is not the greatest IMO. If I "had" to get a muscle car, I would rather look at a Boss or GT500. But that is just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrein22 View Post
This is my first car purchase. I am 24 and drove a toyota camry since I was 15 1/2. I've always wanted to own a 2 door rear wheel drive toyota and magically right after I graduated college and started working full time this car came out. Pre-ordered march 6th. I decided on the subaru over the scion because scion seems like a meh I'm not good enough to be a toyota type brand. Never drove a manual in my life so I got Premium WR Blue Automatic. I bought this car because I love the body design, toyobaru did a great job. So ya I just wanted to agree with you that I don't need to burn people at stoplights or pretend I'm a hardass because I can go 60 in under 6 seconds. Just the look of the car should take care of that alone and the fact that it is being released in limited quantities

Hey welcome aboard. I think you make a great choice with the WRB.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #201
nkrein22

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Hey welcome aboard. I think you make a great choice with the WRB.
Thanks I picked it because I love that shade of blue and its just a great color. If they sold the Toyota 86 over here I would probably of gotten the orange (hot lava i think its called). Those two colors I really like. To be honest I would be fine with any color though, I think a lot of people have trouble choosing
nkrein22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #202
fernan2

Drives: Wrx
so slow! :(

fernan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #203
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,943 Times in 11,378 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
The ZL1 sounds like a great car on paper. Might even be great in person. But driving around in a submarine would annoy me after a while. Thw driver position/view is not the greatest IMO. If I "had" to get a muscle car, I would rather look at a Boss or GT500. But that is just me
I definitely agree with the limited viz. I actually kind of like it though. I think its because it reminds me of flying a Cessna.

Also can't get a Mustang. In my house those are reserved for MomHawk at her command. Besides Camaros are in my blood. My Dad used to race them as modified stock back in the day.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #204
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernan2 View Post

That was posted earlier today. You are late to the "bash the car for being too slow and getting beat by a SUV/CUV".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I definitely agree with the limited viz. I actually kind of like it though. I think its because it reminds me of flying a Cessna.

Also can't get a Mustang. In my house those are reserved for MomHawk at her command. Besides Camaros are in my blood. My Dad used to race them as modified stock back in the day.

Gotcha. I think you will like the BRZ based on your comments in the past. I think the money saved would be worth it (either put into the car, save for a rainy day, take a nice vacation...etc). Plus tires will be cheaper on the BRZ. .

I understand your past history with the Camaro. So you will have to take that into account. But I would rather have the view closer to a F22 than a Cessna.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #205
tranzformer

BRZ
0-60 7.3sec
1/4 mile 15.3sec @ 92.1
Slalom 69.1mph

Protege5 (current)
0-60 8.8sec
1/4 mile 16.8 @82.7
Slalom 66.4mph

All are much better than my current Protege5 which is a blast to drive and handles well for what it is. BRZ will only be better in everything.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #206
YaX
Señor Member

Drives: 2005 Holden Monaro aka Pontiac GTO
Quote:
BRZ
0-60 7.3sec
1/4 mile 15.3sec @ 92.1
Slalom 69.1mph

Protege5 (current)
0-60 8.8sec
1/4 mile 16.8 @82.7
Slalom 66.4mph

All are much better than my current Protege5 which is a blast to drive and handles well for what it is. BRZ will only be better in everything.
Hell, my GTO feels slow to me now. What am I supposed to do?
YaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #207
Eureka

Drives: None... yet!
Not sure if this is old news, but judging from the Insideline gallery, the center stack of the premium BRZ is ugly... like the FRS's.
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #208
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaX View Post
Hell, my GTO feels slow to me now. What am I supposed to do?
Ha, sucks to be you. I think you have horsepoweritis.

In all seriousness I think you can still have fun in a less powerful car. Many on here use to own RX7, Supra turbos, MR2 Turbos...etc. You would just need to readjust your baseline. But maybe you aren't at that point where hp/straight line speed is boring. For me it is.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:43 AM   #209
IntenseDVDA

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruwrxfan View Post
I can't believe there's so many complainers/trolls on here. After all the good reviews. Every single last one had glowing praise. And people are crying about stuff still? I guess some people will truly never be happy.

"In a word: sensational. It is a riot to pilot." -Autoweek
"I haven’t had this much driving fun in a long time..." -Road & Track (These are critics that drive cars for a living, and he hadn't had this much fun in a long time!)
"Profound control. Think Lotus Exige/Elise or Porsche 911 GT3...the BRZ encourages full-attack driving on unfamiliar roads well into triple digits...the car is a stunning experience. It is one of the most rewarding cars we've ever driven." -InsideLine
"The BRZ is undeniably superb...For pure, unadulterated driving delight, the BRZ packs a knockout punch." -Motor Trend

You read all this, words spoken from people that drive sports cars for a living, and even THEY can get this excited about a car? But some people here can't. Unbelievable. Reading these articles made my day.
Amen.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #210
IntenseDVDA

Drives: WRB BRZ
Added Dan Neil's WSJ article (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...942708538.html).