follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
RosarioBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A little help with some info on CNT RACING exhaust

Good evening,

It has probably been discussed in the past, but I have also looked around and haven't seen this exhaust discussed on this forum.

Does anyone know about CNT racing exhaust and their quality, I have seen some vids but that does not do justice to any real experience. Do any of you happen to have some good details as far as the quality, the fitment, customer service of the company, clear vids, raspiness or not, leaks, welding quality.

I was shopping around for a exhaust and came across this after looking at the invidia q300 with titanium tips. It just seems as if I need to gather more insight and knowledge on these two exhausts, or rather more on the CNT racing. Pricing doesn't seem too bad, it almost looks identical to the q300. Thanks.
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1397696335842.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  59.4 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1397696353046.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  62.1 KB
http://www.cntracing.com/CNT-Racing-...p/cb-12frs.htm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Just a clean BRZ
RosarioBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
supramkivtt2jz
PROUD OF BOXER

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Looks similar to Top Speed Auto's offering.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53599

A bit different, but it gets relatively good reviews.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
ort895

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Anybody ever get this?
Old 03-30-2016, 10:01 PM   #4
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ort895 View Post
Anybody ever get this?

I heard there front pipe sucks but has been fixed, this would be uncharted territory getting there cat-back. For the same price you could probably get a MXP comp rs cat-back.

http://www.fteightysix.com/holiday-deals/mxp-comp-rs/
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
ort895 (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 10:40 PM   #5
ort895

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I heard there front pipe sucks but has been fixed, this would be uncharted territory getting there cat-back. For the same price you could probably get a MXP comp rs cat-back.

http://www.fteightysix.com/holiday-deals/mxp-comp-rs/
true that, the RS is pure music. Was just curious because i got the header lol
Old 03-30-2016, 10:59 PM   #6
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Buy it, and report back with sound clips
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #7
ort895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Buy it, and report back with sound clips
You first
Old 03-07-2018, 10:03 PM   #8
sciencetists

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Do any of you happen to have some good details as far as the quality, the fitment, customer service of the company, clear vids, raspiness or not, leaks, welding quality.
I bought this and installed it on a 2017 in about an hour using jackstands in my driveway.

Paired with a UEL header, this this is extremely raspy when you are on the throttle. It gets worse with engine load and not RPM, so the harder you push the throttle, the more rasp you get. I decided that it was too much and that I would probably get a ticket so I took it to a muffler shop and had a stainless resonator welded into the included midpipe. The resonator eliminated 100% of the rasp, now the exhaust is very deep sounding, and on the loud side of medium loud. Almost like the stock exhaust with a ton of bass added.

The huge blue tips look great on my yellow brz. The alignment of them, and evenness that they stick out are not perfect, but its something you can only notice if you get close and really look for it.

Welds and build quality are adequate. I'm not a welder, so not qualified to judge them really, but I can say that the welds on my gruppe s header and midpipe are much nicer looking. The gruppe s header is in another class of finish than this catback, but it looks good at the back and didn't have anything "wrong" with it.

The kit confused me because it sent two flat gaskets and two donut gaskets. I used the larger flat gasket at the midpipe to muffler connection, and the smaller one at the joint in the middle of the mid pipe. There was an existing donut gasket on the front-pipe, but it was a different diameter than the ones supplied and they would not have fit there. Maybe they changed the size of this gasket for the 2017. I ended up not using the donut gaskets.

The hardware to be honest, looked pretty shitty. I'm not sure if it even stainless, they looked like really bad quality fasteners, I think I will replace them in the future with some better stainless bolts and nuts.

The main thing that led me to buy this exhaust was cost. At $660.00 CAD including tax and shipping from ft86motorsports.com, this was the cheapest catback available in Canada at the time of purchase in Feb 2018. There are some which come close to the cost on ebay, but they were an extra $200 to get shipped to Canada. I also wanted a "suitcase" style muffler as opposed to the twin can designs because I have heard they pair better with a header and would fit better with the rear diffuser that I plan to install later.
sciencetists is offline   Reply With Quote