follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Driving Technique - Track Out

Question for the track junkies. @CSG Mike

Is it a hard and fast rule to always use the full track out width when exiting a corner?

Exiting the left hairpin at the end of the back straight at SP Shenandoah, I can ease into WOT without the car pushing wide and needing the full track-out width. I usually end up about 3 feet inside the curbing at exit. My instructor mentioned that a few times and said the car should be all the way over when tracking out, but I'm not sure it's necessary if the car isn't pushing wide. I also like leaving a little space in the event I need to countersteer and don't want to drop two wheels. The only times I've tracked out that wide in that corner were when I carried too much speed, missed my intended apex, and pushed out wide.

Thoughts? Or maybe it means I can get on the throttle/unwind even earlier?

It's turn 20 in the track map below.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
circuithero

Drives: 2006 Infiniti M45S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The only reason you would not track out is if you were compromising the next corner or possibly compromising your traction out there on exit. For turn 20, given the long straight following and plenty of time and distance to set up for 21, I see no reason why you should be anything but on the outside as your instructor pointed out. Unless there is a traction/surface issue, you are compromising your speed through that corner by reducing the radius of your arc. Larger radius = bigger circle = higher velocity. Two thoughts come to mind: as you said, on the throttle earlier and let the car out and unwind all the way to the exit to minimize scrubbing and maximize traction.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk 2
circuithero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to circuithero For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
DarkSunrise

Thanks! That helps. It makes more sense to me to think about it in terms of "get on the throttle earlier" as opposed to "track out to the edge", as I didn't understand the need to track out fully if the rear end wasn't coming around. But I can see if I was to get on the throttle earlier, there'd be a need to unwind and track out more fully since the rear would certainly get loose.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 09-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
smbstyle

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Learn the line, then add speed.

When I started doing track events a few years ago, my instructor taught me the line at Sebring through Turn 17 where the track out point is almost touching the outside wall. I would drive the line, but had no idea why it was so far out when I didn't need that much room.

Slowly as I got more and more seat time, and started increasing my cornering speeds considerably, and getting on the throttle earlier, I got to the point where I needed every inch of that track out room, and more.

Here's an example...

So my first track day in my CTS-V, I wasn't using all of the track-out through Turn 17 at Sebring, because frankly I didn't need it. This video is coming out of 17, and you can see I'm in the middle of the track. I was running 2:50's
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In285Fxfav4"]Sebring lap in 2004 CTS-V - YouTube[/ame]

After a bunch of seat time in my Miata with a stock engine, just exhaust and suspension, I used every inch of track out because I needed every bit of it, and you can see how close I come to the wall. My cornering speeds are considerably higher than in the above video (turn 17 is at about 0:05 seconds in) - and this is a 2:45 lap (5 seconds faster in a stock engine Miata than I was in a 400hp CTS-V lol)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw1TZBleLDs"]Sebring 2:45 Lap in a Miata - YouTube[/ame]

To sum it up; increase your cornering speed and get on the throttle earlier if there is more track available to you.

Last edited by smbstyle; 09-11-2013 at 07:21 PM.
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smbstyle For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Question for the track junkies. @CSG Mike

Is it a hard and fast rule to always use the full track out width when exiting a corner?

Exiting the left hairpin at the end of the back straight at SP Shenandoah, I can ease into WOT without the car pushing wide and needing the full track-out width. I usually end up about 3 feet inside the curbing at exit. My instructor mentioned that a few times and said the car should be all the way over when tracking out, but I'm not sure it's necessary if the car isn't pushing wide. I also like leaving a little space in the event I need to countersteer and don't want to drop two wheels. The only times I've tracked out that wide in that corner were when I carried too much speed, missed my intended apex, and pushed out wide.

Thoughts? Or maybe it means I can get on the throttle/unwind even earlier?

It's turn 20 in the track map below.
I don't know how big the radius is, but it looks to me to be a double apex corner. Apex going in under trail braking, and then WOT and tuck back in, hug, and track out fully on exit

If it's a smaller corner, it may simply be a apex going in under trail braking, track wide, and then do turn in for 2nd apex, and roll onto the throttle, again while tracking out fully.

Only reason not to track out is track conditions do not allow (e.g. potholes, dips, elevation changes, camber, etc.), or if it directly feeds into another corner and it needs to be sacrificed. For an isolated exit like that, barring conditions, you should use the full track.

If you can WOT and not need to track out all the way, turn less and use the whole track, to reduce acceleration loss to scrubbing. Or, better yet, enter the turn faster (increase your vmin before you start going WOT).
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I can ease into WOT without the car pushing wide and needing the full track-out width. I usually end up about 3 feet inside the curbing at exit.
You just defined exactly what it means to not be getting on the throttle early enough and I'd guess you're also not carrying enough speed at apex.

Push that pedal down a little more a little earlier and remember that your throttle pedal and steering wheel are linked (in your mind) and the more you push on the "GO pedal" the more you unwind the steering wheel. You should be making the radius of every corner as large as possible.

Use the whole track, you paid for it.
CSG Mike (09-11-2013), DarkSunrise (09-11-2013), neurokinetik (09-12-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Use the whole track, you paid for it.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
DarkSunrise

Thanks, these are exactly the kinds of responses I was hoping for. A couple of points. I was single-apexing the corner, but I can see a double-apex line now that you mention it Mike. I may try that next time.

The line I was taking was a single late apex to setup for the straight. I don't think I can carry more speed into the corner on the line I was taking, because whenever I tried, I'd scrub wide and miss the apex by a few feet.

But I do think I can get on the throttle and unwind earlier (as pretty much everyone said lol). Next time, as soon as I hit the late apex, I'll roll hard onto the throttle and immediately unwind. Imagining that in my head, I can see that pulling me wide and widening the radius of the turn. Or glorious oversteer. Should be fun, can't wait.

Thanks again all.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 09-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So should we also talk about 2-wheels-off technique as well?

I'll leave that up to Mr. Sunrise.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
DarkSunrise

Sure, lay it on me

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
So should we also talk about 2-wheels-off technique as well?

I'll leave that up to Mr. Sunrise.
I have "dirty" hot laps where I purposely drop 2 in a lot of places to carry more speed...
Old 09-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #12
Element Tuning

Drives: Hydra EMS Powered FRS Raven Black
Thanked 1,021 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Lots of good points brought up but yes there are times when track out isn't necessary or is slower but those are complicated to discuss unless you have intimate track knowledge.

I know Shenandoah and its not paved like a traditional track, it's paved like a road so thers is a crown in the middle. As you cross the crown the car gets loose exiting turn 20 and I suspect that's what makes you uneasy tracking out. From my experience to maximize your lap time there you need to track out as it leads you into another straight.

There are other areas of that track where you need to obay the camber and not track out by hugging the inside like at "hook." A traditional line at Shenandoah is not the fast line there and it looks all goofy on video so I would imagine its hard for an instructor there.

Going fast at that track is sketchy and involves a ton of sudden oversteer due to the crown I mentioned. So drive within your car control capabilities but I suspect your instructor senses you're "pinching" your turn so he wants you to undwind the wheel more so you don't induce oversteer as you get more confident exiting 20.
Element Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-12-2013), DarkSunrise (09-12-2013), rice_classic (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #13
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
i feel like another time you dont need the entire width of the track is when you can basically enter, maintain, and exit under full throttle. since i have a stock powered miata, i feel like i run into that a lot. ive never been there but it doesnt look like that kind of corner.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 02:28 AM   #14
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i feel like another time you dont need the entire width of the track is when you can basically enter, maintain, and exit under full throttle. since i have a stock powered miata, i feel like i run into that a lot. ive never been there but it doesnt look like that kind of corner.
In cases like that, you need to weigh distance traveled vs speed/acceleration lost to scrubbing.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
fatoni (09-12-2013)