follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #29
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

Drives: Silver Scion Slushbox
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can we stop talking about winter dammet! LOL j/k
I know, it's good to be prepared.
CircuitJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:01 AM   #30
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeHeadBanger View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many of you use the BRZ/FR-S as you DD during the winter?

I'm moving to Michigan in a couple of months and am really keen on buying the BRZ. But, that would be only car (DD) and I haven't driven on snow yet. What would you guys suggest?
I drove my FRS in Chicago all last winter on the stock Primacy tires. It was a little Sketchy once or twice, but I lived, and didn't wreck (I came close though).
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #31
ZeHeadBanger
Stuck like Glue

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'll most probably staying somewhere in Farmington Hills, but I'm not sure yet.

Hawaiin - That is exactly what I'm thinking. One small mistake, no matter how careful you are, screws up your car. But I guess that is something that can happen to anyone who buys a new car!

Also, you guys are talking about adding additional weight at the back. I'm assuming you need at least 100-150 lbs to make a difference (also mentioned in one of the comments above). Where do you get such heavy weights or what do you use?
ZeHeadBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #32
Nourdmrolnmt1

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeHeadBanger View Post
I'll most probably staying somewhere in Farmington Hills, but I'm not sure yet.

Hawaiin - That is exactly what I'm thinking. One small mistake, no matter how careful you are, screws up your car. But I guess that is something that can happen to anyone who buys a new car!

Also, you guys are talking about adding additional weight at the back. I'm assuming you need at least 100-150 lbs to make a difference (also mentioned in one of the comments above). Where do you get such heavy weights or what do you use?
Sand bags.

Lead weights.

One takes up much less space, but also lightens your wallet much more

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Nourdmrolnmt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #33
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt1 View Post
Sand bags.

Lead weights.

One takes up much less space, but also lightens your wallet much more

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Kitty litter or pet food as well.

With the sand or litter you can also throw that down to give you grip if you're stuck in snow.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #34
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

Drives: Silver Scion Slushbox
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
I think sand is going to be the cheapest route.
Play sand is around $4-5 for a 50lb bag.
100 lbs should be sufficient.
I used to use water softener salt bags since we had a softener many years ago. Free heh! Well no additional expense since they were consumed in the spring.
Whatever you do, don't use salt blocks!
They don't go well with hooning or donuts.
Derp; BOOM! 0.o
CircuitJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #35
tinger00

Drives: 2013FRS-FIRESTORM

I drove around with this set up and snow tires on the stock wheels. I had no issues during heavy snow and iced roads. I drive 30 miles daily to work.

The sand and tool boxes were purchased at home depot. The bags of sand had real thin plastic, the tool boxes were a precaution to contain the sand, in case the bag decided to tear, it also made it easier to take out the weight, if the roads were clear and there were no huge storms on the way.

After driving around, 1 box of sand is all that is needed. I placed the box centered over the rear axle. I also have the trunk carpet liner, which I turned upside down, the rubber gripped the sand box, the box never moved around.
13 ZN6 FRS N/A

Last edited by tinger00; 07-24-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: mis
tinger00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tinger00 For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (10-18-2014), illicitstylz (05-27-2014), ZeHeadBanger (10-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #36
tobin

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Does anyone know if 195/60R15 on steelies will fit? These are leftovers from my 2000 Legacy GT.
tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #37
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobin View Post
Does anyone know if 195/60R15 on steelies will fit? These are leftovers from my 2000 Legacy GT.
Almost definitely no. There are very few 15" that fit.

On the sand-box thing, I'd say it's really needed for driving on an icy highway. Otherwise winter rubber is enough and fun about town.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dsgerbc For This Useful Post:
tobin (07-24-2013)
Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #38
R3d

Drives: White FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scionshaun View Post
Hi folks!
I was just wondering how did your frs/brz handle
In the winter weather in the Great Lakes area? Pics and any
Comments appreciated!
I haven't driven the frs in the snow but I always had trucks and just good winter tires ( witch is the law here in Quebec ) and your fine. Every year I get ppl telling me to add weight to the trunk and every year I tell them it consumes enough fuel as it is! I currently drive a 2007 ford ranger 4x4 no anti-slip device and the previous owner welded the rear diff... still drive it in winter no weight in the back and no problems so far!

Now if you compare my shitty driving ranger with such a bad rear diff that it squeals as soon as your steering is turned more then 25% to an outstanding car like the fr-s with its new technologies anti-skid systems. I almost want to drive my FR-S in the snow (but my baby is staying indoors in the warmth during winter to hide from the salt)!!!

Btw no I don't use the 4x4 when driving in winter unless im stuck. Contrary to popular belief its mostly 4x4`s who hit the ditch in winter and its mostly due to lack of ``feeling`` of how slippery it really is outside, not a mistake your going to make in a RWD car.

just remember this, your ride quality is only ever gonna be as good as the tires you have. get great tires like vredestein or some michelin xice and you will enjoy winter driving. Get some cheap canadian pifpaf shit tires and spend winter swearing lol its up to you!

BTW a nice set of still good winter tires and less used all season helps with resale value for your car just dont finance them on the car get a great set at a tire shop!
R3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #39
R3d

Drives: White FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinger00 View Post

I drove around with this set up and snow tires on the stock wheels. I had no issues during heavy snow and iced roads. I drive 30 miles daily to work.

The sand and tool boxes were purchased at home depot. The bags of sand had real thin plastic, the tool boxes were a precaution to contain the sand, in case the bag decided to tear, it also made it easier to take out the weight, if the roads were clear and there were no huge storms on the way.

After driving around, 1 box of sand is all that is needed. I placed the box centered over the rear axle. I also have the trunk carpet liner, which I turned upside down, the rubber gripped the sand box, the box never moved around.
how was your fuel consumption change from the extra weight during the winter months ?
R3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #40
GeorgeJFrick

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited LR
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Being in Milwaukee, I got the trunk liner; I really like it. Will do great in the winter.

As previous posters mentioned, weight in the trunk and something to dig with if possible.

My experience in winter; in most cities the plows will reopen pot holes by ripping out their fillings. Hit one and lose a tire/wheel. No reason to have nice rims or even stock rims on if you are winter driving.

Will be Blizzaks on steelies for the winter, haven't decided if I should go down to 16's for it. Bag of sand, Bag of kitty litter, small shovel, blanket, tarp. First snow I'll hit a parking lot and try to get comfortable before too much street driving.
GeorgeJFrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #41
Chad

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
I will be mounting my stock wheels with some good winter tires. Is everyone going Blizzak? I'm assuming this is the best way to go for both ice and snow conditions?
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #42
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Volt, 02 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I have minimal experience, but my second hand info suggests blizzaks start off decent but degrade rapidly... If you want best of the best take a look at a set of Nokians, particularly Hakkapaliitta's. From lots of input from my tire sources, I decided to go with a set of Mastercraft Glacier Grip II's (on my WRX) reason being they are a generic branded Cooper ice/snow tire, so they worked well and were a phenomenal value.
2005-06: #192 ES 91 MR2 N/A Hardtop
2007-08: #54 STX 05 WRX Sedan
2009-12: #92 BSP/ASP 07 Solstice GXP
2013-14 : #192 CS 13 Subaru BRZ
Sccabrz192 is offline   Reply With Quote