follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2018, 02:43 PM   #29
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Especially knowing the car hasn't had spiders crawling on the owners from the seats.
Last time a park my car nearby a lab doing studies on radioactivity!
Old 10-30-2018, 03:44 PM   #30
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ok, don’t buy it.

Ezpz.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 04:13 PM   #31
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiRokuX View Post
Around here, you can get 17 BRZ PP trims with 10-20k miles on them for around 22-25.5k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They're just not common in the northeast.
alphasaur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:16 PM   #32
alphasaur
friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
For many here working on their car is a hobby and not a chore so if they have to fix the clutch they just do it and enjoy every minute of it. To that group (I suspect it is the majority here) the car is more than just a form of transportation.

I was that way through the 70s and early 80s. Then I had to buy junkers and keep them going without any cash so the task of working on cars went from hobby/pleasure to chore/hating every minute. Then in the 90s I was able to work on the cars that I actually wanted to own so it became a hobby again. Now I just want my car to start every time I get into it and if something needs to be fixed I want to sit and drink coffee and flirt with a receptionist. I say this because I can see both perspectives and understand that not everybody looks at repair work the same. Life's circumstances will change people's outlook over a period of time.
This is where I'm currently at in life. Working on cars isn't what it was premarriage/home ownership.
The Following User Says Thank You to alphasaur For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #33
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasaur View Post
They're just not common in the northeast.
The warm weather guys don't understand just how rare they are up here. There were more at dinner in Nor Cal when I was there last week then there is I'm my whole city of 400,000 people. Even with all of them lined up in the parking lot there were still at least 5 more that drove past at one point or another. The things breed like rabbits in warm coastal areas.
chaoskaze (10-30-2018), HachiRokuX (10-30-2018), spike021 (10-30-2018), yurikaze (10-31-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #34
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
What I would ask any prospective buyer is what is your purpose for the car? How do you intend to drive it? What do you enjoy in a car? Based on the answers to those questions the car may or may not be a fit.

To those who are not interested in regularly running the car through undulating back roads, or simply don't have access to such roads, I would say look elsewhere.

This is not a powerful/smooth cruiser with big reserves of torque. If gunning or even cruising light to light, or pulls on the highway are your preferred form of driving pleasure (nothing wrong with any of those), this car does not serve that purpose stock. For the amount of money it would take to get there you are better off starting with another car.

Looking for a decently fuel efficient car with good looks and an affordable price tag to daily drive? A twin might be for you.

Want a simple, small, lightweight, nimble coupe with low limits that is best enjoyed on the curvy roads I described earlier? You might have found the perfect car.

I think a lot of people like the looks of the car, and some unfortunately have misinterpreted those looks to mean the car performs in a away that does not align with its original purpose. I think those are the ones who are ultimately disappointed. That can be especially true if they dump a bunch of money into the car to turn it into something else, only to later fall into that game of "Well I payed XX,XXX for the car brand new. Then I spent XX,XXXX more on the car to get to where I'm at and I STILL want more out of it... Dang. I could have just bought a XXXX and called it a day.

This car has an amazing aftermarket, but I think you need to have a plan and a budget before you go all in. Weigh your options and decide if you are OK spending a bunch of money that you won't necessarily get back if you want to sell one day. If heavy modding is what you're looking to do I think everyone would agree that used is the way to go. But in the end you know your situation best. Plan, budget, evaluate and decide.
HachiRokuX (10-30-2018), strat61caster (10-30-2018), Tristor (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 05:04 PM   #35
alphasaur
friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_E_L View Post
What I would ask any prospective buyer is what is your purpose for the car? How do you intend to drive it? What do you enjoy in a car? Based on the answers to those questions the car may or may not be a fit.

To those who are not interested in regularly running the car through undulating back roads, or simply don't have access to such roads, I would say look elsewhere.

This is not a powerful/smooth cruiser with big reserves of torque. If gunning or even cruising light to light, or pulls on the highway are your preferred form of driving pleasure (nothing wrong with any of those), this car does not serve that purpose stock. For the amount of money it would take to get there you are better off starting with another car.

Looking for a decently fuel efficient car with good looks and an affordable price tag to daily drive? A twin might be for you.

Want a simple, small, lightweight, nimble coupe with low limits that is best enjoyed on the curvy roads I described earlier? You might have found the perfect car.

I think a lot of people like the looks of the car, and some unfortunately have misinterpreted those looks to mean the car performs in a away that does not align with its original purpose. I think those are the ones who are ultimately disappointed. That can be especially true if they dump a bunch of money into the car to turn it into something else, only to later fall into that game of "Well I payed XX,XXX for the car brand new. Then I spent XX,XXXX more on the car to get to where I'm at and I STILL want more out of it... Dang. I could have just bought a XXXX and called it a day.

This car has an amazing aftermarket, but I think you need to have a plan and a budget before you go all in. Weigh your options and decide if you are OK spending a bunch of money that you won't necessarily get back if you want to sell one day. If heavy modding is what you're looking to do I think everyone would agree that used is the way to go. But in the end you know your situation best. Plan, budget, evaluate and decide.
Sounds like the BRZ is up my alley All back country roads all day.
The Following User Says Thank You to alphasaur For This Useful Post:
R_E_L (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #36
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My roaming territory doesn't have many twisty roads. Doesn't matter. This thing is extraordinarily nimble in traffic and around town. I'd buy it even if I never intended to push it at all, just because it's easy to get around in. As much as I drive, I notice a big difference in fatigue after driving a rental that doesn't handle nearly as well.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
spike021 (10-30-2018), Tcoat (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #37
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasaur View Post
Sounds like the BRZ is up my alley All back country roads all day.
BTW have you looked at the new Miata? Seeing as you used to own one, the new ones are fantastic based on what I have heard. Many have even classed them above the twins in terms of driving pleasure.

The only downside is they can get kinda pricy as you add some of the nice options like the Recaro/Brembo package. I would have considered going for one, but the soft top was a no go if I ever had to use the car for work. I wasn't a fan of the way they did the hardtop, even with its nice profile. Plus it was even more $$$.

But if you are good with a base model I would take a look. There are also the 2018 models for less $$$ if you can find one and don't need the telescoping steering wheel, or mind the lower redline/peak HP.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:48 PM   #38
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Quote:
BTW have you looked at the new Miata? Seeing as you used to own one, the new ones are fantastic based on what I have heard. Many have even classed them above the twins in terms of driving pleasure.

The only downside is they can get kinda pricy as you add some of the nice options like the Recaro/Brembo package. I would have considered going for one, but the soft top was a no go if I ever had to use the car for work. I wasn't a fan of the way they did the hardtop, even with its nice profile. Plus it was even more $$$.

But if you are good with a base model I would take a look. There are also the 2018 models for less $$$ if you can find one and don't need the telescoping steering wheel, or mind the lower redline/peak HP.
The Miata is quicker than the BRZ, but the BRZ steering is far superior to the ND Miata and the Miata has massive body roll with the factory suspension. For pure driving pleasure on a winding road, my vote is with the BRZ. Truly the main advantage (or disadvantage depending on personal preferences) that the Miata has is that it is a convertible and that enhances the fun factor for some people.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:38 PM   #39
alphasaur
friendly

Quote:

I would love an ND but I'm not a fan of the soft top in winter and the rf is out of my price range unfortunately
Old 10-30-2018, 08:47 PM   #40
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wait till next spring.

Buying a new sports car in the fall, just before the salt season would be just stupid.

Enjoy this winter the best snow car you already own for your commute.
Option would be to buy a beater car known to be fun in the snow.
Often the best winter cars have minimal power and auto trans.
Four snow tires rule in winter.

Last edited by ToySub1946; 10-30-2018 at 09:01 PM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:01 PM   #41
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
The Miata is quicker than the BRZ, but the BRZ steering is far superior to the ND Miata and the Miata has massive body roll with the factory suspension. For pure driving pleasure on a winding road, my vote is with the BRZ. Truly the main advantage (or disadvantage depending on personal preferences) that the Miata has is that it is a convertible and that enhances the fun factor for some people.

I cross shopped the Miata RF vs the BRZ pretty heavily before I made my buying decision. I'll agree with you that the convertible thing was a huge factor. I dislike convertibles immensely, and the RF was a strong maybe because it was a hard top.

All that said, there wasn't really any contest. The BRZ had a cheaper feeling interior, but the stock seats were better bolstered, the suspension and steering were better, and it was just a better driving car. I was honestly pretty shocked, since I'd always found Miatas to be pretty well put together. The BRZ is a far better car than a Miata for similar money in stock configuration.

The flip side is Miatas have more parts development and parts cost is significantly lower even at the high-end comparatively. For what I've put into my BRZ, I could have nearly finished track prepping an NB Miata already.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:07 PM   #42
Rabidpug

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Go for the BRZ. I traded in my 2016 Mazda Miata last month for this 2017 BRZ limited with PP and still really happy with the choice.

If your looking for a fun stable drivers car, stock the BRZ is more daily friendly and usable than the miata.

I think the BRZ is much more confidence inspiring than the miata was as well.
Rabidpug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rabidpug For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (10-30-2018), Tcoat (10-30-2018)

Tags
tcoat old hag