follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 05-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
Boxer 86
I ♥ My Spinning Triangles

Drives: 1989 Mazda RX-7 GTU
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone who loves drifting

Please sign this petition relieving a ban in drifting at Turner Field in Atlanta through sound regulation. Even if it is not near you, the brotherhood that all motorists share should be worth a couple minutes of your time to help out each other. Thank you!

http://www.change.org/petitions/atla...e_button_modal
The Following User Says Thank You to Boxer 86 For This Useful Post:
ESBjiujitsu (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yeah, well that's what happens when you repeatedly hold an event full of obnoxiously loud cars next to a residential area. Why do you think autocross events and racetracks across the country have noise restrictions? At Laguna Seca, if you're louder than 92dB@50' you get kicked out. Why? because loud cars piss off the neighbors, and pissed off neighbors are a great way to get an event or an entire track shut down permanently. These chuckleheads in Atlanta brought this on themselves. If the event organizers had instituted and strictly enforced noise restrictions this situation could have been avoided entirely.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old greg For This Useful Post:
Giccin (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Boxer 86

I think the other side is, if you dont want to be bothered by noise, then don't move next to a stadium or racetrack! Seem's pretty simple doesnt it? Apart from that, all the events are held in the middle of the day, where things such as games, concerts, and firework events can all go into the night with higher dB ratings but with no consequence. That is where we are having this fallout and why we think the ban is unjust. It is simple discrimination towards the drifitng community.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer 86 View Post
Apart from that, all the events are held in the middle of the day
During the day on the weekends.

Quote:
things such as games, concerts, and firework events can all go into the night with higher dB ratings but with no consequence.
All of which would have applied for, and received beforehand, permits from City Hall temporarily exempting them from noise ordinances.

Quote:
I think the other side is, if you dont want to be bothered by noise, then don't move next to a stadium or racetrack! Seem's pretty simple doesnt it?
Quote:
That is where we are having this fallout and why we think the ban is unjust. It is simple discrimination towards the drifitng community.
It doesn't matter who was there before who. I agree that it doesn't seem fair, but life usually isn't. Many racetracks and dragstrips have been forced to close due to excessive noise, many more have had no choice but to enact draconian sound restrictions to avoid a similar fate. Autoclub Dragway was shut down recently do to noise complaints, and it's on the infield of a freaking NASCAR track! It's not fair and life sucks but the simple fact is that if you make noise without a permit you get sued and/or shut down. It's been happening this way all across the country for years, so it's not a new or unexpected thing.

The drift events at Turner Field have been getting noise complaints for as long as there have been drift events at Turner Field, enough so that in 2009 the SCCA guys voluntarily and proactively enacted a 93dB@50' limit which means stock-ish sound levels. The drift events' decibel limit were "Have a muffler of some sort". Drifters are not being singled out, they have singled themselves out with their outlaw/fuck-the-neighbors mentality.

No other grassroots motorsport gets to pull that sort of shit and get away with it, but drifters cry foul because they don't get to either? They knew which way the wind has been blowing and they've had years to make changes voluntarily. Now they're bitching and moaning because they're the only ones facing the consequences of the actions that only they took. My heart bleeds for them.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old greg For This Useful Post:
blur (05-10-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 12:59 AM   #5
Boxer 86

Fair enough