follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 09:31 AM   #477
slicktop

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 2JZ-GTE/V160 swapped
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by npavlo View Post
Hi.
Nick here from Pavlotech. I use the Emtron product almost exclusively now, and am helping them support the rollout of the product in the USA.

Currently @slicktop just got his 2JZ swapped GT86 running with some integrated features. The CAN configuration is "selectable" in the software, and allows you to point runtimes (pids) to make most of the factory integrated functions work. Right now we are working out a list of things that we need to address, but for the most part the majority of things is working, even the power steering.

The Emtron ECU allows any universal application to be used with the CAN configuration, so running a GM V8 is not a problem.

Other than providing some CAN integration, the Emtron ECU is also a premium system offering a slew of basically any motorsport feature you can think of. It seems that most people are concentrating on the integration options, but besides that, the ECU also has cal slot control, flex fuel, turbo speed functions, closed loop fueling, closed loop motorsport traction control, launch control, gear box control (closed loop sequential too), anti-lag, individual knock, and more. In the end, it is important to keep in mind that these motorsport features and functions take priority regarding ECU systems like this, and the integration is more of a convenience. Most of the time, it is only important for these to pick up some data on wheel speeds, and a couple other things to make some major functions work.

For example, factory traction control makes cars slower when it is regulating, where the built in closed loop motorsport traction control of the Emtron makes cars FASTER. It is a tall order to make a completely different engine (brand) work seamlessly. Not saying it can't be done (or hasn't), just some food for thought on what to expect from motorsport ECU systems!
For anyone hesitant in swapping because of non-functioning OEM components. Believe in that no more! I'm proof that the Emtron KV8 is the one stop shop for those looking at swapping. @Ross and @npavlo are great sources for this badass product.

Additionally, I am not being funded or asked to say these things. I really want this platform to grow!

2013 Scion FRS
2JZ-GTE/V160 Swap Build Thread
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slicktop For This Useful Post:
Calum (04-14-2016), cf6mech (09-04-2016), CxG (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #478
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartarus View Post
That "incredibly complicated" CAN BUS, in our car, runs 3 systems. With a simple message stream on a 2-wire masterless network. Oh, sooooo complicated. The controller-area network is the simplest network in computer networking, by a huge margin, bar none.
I wonder why it's been such a big issue for everyone?
If it's that easy, we would have plenty of options already as well as being cheap so swaps would be everywhere, instead of people struggling in this thread for years?
Old 04-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #479
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicktop View Post
For anyone hesitant in swapping because of non-functioning OEM components. Believe in that no more! I'm proof that the Emtron KV8 is the one stop shop for those looking at swapping. @Ross and @npavlo are great sources for this badass product.

Additionally, I am not being funded or asked to say these things. I really want this platform to grow!

I'm moving to the DC area in a couple of months and definitely want to check out your swap! I'm considering an LS3 swap in the future and this may very well sway me to do a swap.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #480
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by npavlo View Post
Hi.
Nick here from Pavlotech. I use the Emtron product almost exclusively now, and am helping them support the rollout of the product in the USA.

Currently @slicktop just got his 2JZ swapped GT86 running with some integrated features. The CAN configuration is "selectable" in the software, and allows you to point runtimes (pids) to make most of the factory integrated functions work. Right now we are working out a list of things that we need to address, but for the most part the majority of things is working, even the power steering.

The Emtron ECU allows any universal application to be used with the CAN configuration, so running a GM V8 is not a problem.

Other than providing some CAN integration, the Emtron ECU is also a premium system offering a slew of basically any motorsport feature you can think of. It seems that most people are concentrating on the integration options, but besides that, the ECU also has cal slot control, flex fuel, turbo speed functions, closed loop fueling, closed loop motorsport traction control, launch control, gear box control (closed loop sequential too), anti-lag, individual knock, and more. In the end, it is important to keep in mind that these motorsport features and functions take priority regarding ECU systems like this, and the integration is more of a convenience. Most of the time, it is only important for these to pick up some data on wheel speeds, and a couple other things to make some major functions work.

For example, factory traction control makes cars slower when it is regulating, where the built in closed loop motorsport traction control of the Emtron makes cars FASTER. It is a tall order to make a completely different engine (brand) work seamlessly. Not saying it can't be done (or hasn't), just some food for thought on what to expect from motorsport ECU systems!
Sounds great, whats the price for the system, what has to be done for integration and installing,....and last but not least why does it seem all the can bus hacking and options all lead to one country..... Australia?
Old 04-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #481
Ross

Drives: 85 corolla gts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
To integrate the box into the can system it requires 2 wires run to the can that would typically go to the ecu. You also need to add in a 120 ohm resistor for termination. Delphi offers one using a gt150 2 pin connector and mouser stocks them. For install you would want to build a harness. For some applications, redoing the engine bay connectors and making a plug and play adapter harness to plug in were the factory ecu goes would work. For other applications I feel the factory engine harness connector is to close to the exhaust and could pose issues. In that application I recommend building a engine harness, removing the unused wires at the factory engine harness connector, and repin / make new connectors for the needed wiring at the factory engine harness connector.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:53 AM   #482
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Sorry...

I avoid ANYTHING that isn't willing to have a price posted up front.. I'll stick with the DIY arduino when I do a swap that requires canbus functionality...

Jaden
Old 04-14-2016, 10:51 PM   #483
slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I avoid ANYTHING that isn't willing to have a price posted up front.. I'll stick with the DIY arduino when I do a swap that requires canbus functionality...

Jaden
What is your reasoning? Do you feel that they're going to cheat you? Or are you too lazy to send a PM/email to someone?

2013 Scion FRS
The Following User Says Thank You to slicktop For This Useful Post:
NyC Zn6 (04-20-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #484
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
What is your reasoning? Do you feel that they're going to cheat you? Or are you too lazy to send a PM/email to someone?

That lack of transparency seems pretty shady to me. If I had the money for this I'm not sure if it would steer me away from them or not, but it would certainly give me pause.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 08:28 AM   #485
slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
That lack of transparency seems pretty shady to me. If I had the money for this I'm not sure if it would steer me away from them or not, but it would certainly give me pause.
Then you shouldn't bother spending money on lots of products in that case. Considering it's the manufacturers stipulation when becoming a vendor that you can't post your prices publicly in order to reduce vendor competition. It's not lack of transparency.

As I have the Emtron KV8 EMS powering my 2JZ swapped FRS, I can tell you first hand it's worth the time and money for this standalone. If you want to have a haggard car with multiple piggybacks, go ahead. Just seems like a band-aid attempt to fix something.

2013 Scion FRS
Old 04-15-2016, 02:09 PM   #486
Jaden
Road-hole

because in my experience...

Quote:
because in my experience, the only reason they don't openly list the price is because it's over priced and people won't be interested without sales tactics to GET them interested. Not my cup of tea. BE upfront so that I can know coming into it whether I'll be interested or not.

Jaden
Old 04-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #487
Jaden
Road-hole

multiple piggybacks...

Quote:
Then you shouldn't bother spending money on lots of products in that case. Considering it's the manufacturers stipulation when becoming a vendor that you can't post your prices publicly in order to reduce vendor competition. It's not lack of transparency.

As I have the Emtron KV8 EMS powering my 2JZ swapped FRS, I can tell you first hand it's worth the time and money for this standalone. If you want to have a haggard car with multiple piggybacks, go ahead. Just seems like a band-aid attempt to fix something.
multiple piggy backs is the whole POINT of canbus lol...

Jaden
Old 04-15-2016, 06:03 PM   #488
slicktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
because in my experience, the only reason they don't openly list the price is because it's over priced and people won't be interested without sales tactics to GET them interested. Not my cup of tea. BE upfront so that I can know coming into it whether I'll be interested or not.

Jaden

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the Emtron EMS is not overpriced.

2013 Scion FRS
Old 04-15-2016, 07:47 PM   #489
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

I didn't say it was a lack of transparency from the vendor, I understand it's a manufacturer stipulation.

And I didn't question the product. By every account I've read of it, it's awesome.

I was only suggesting a reason why the no public prices stipulation could be viewed as a negative.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:53 PM   #490
Fenix

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S + 2011 Yamaha R6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I doubt a kit from Vorshlag will be sold at this point.

Closed Thread