follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #15
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash0901 View Post
I've done the research, spent hours online and on the phone. Everybody has had problems and there are inconsistencies except for MoTeC. If you try to save money and cut corners you will pay twice. Do it right the first time and just buy MoTeC!!
I did the exact same thing.. I spent months trying to figure out what really worked and what not on each solution. Because if you just read on the surface or just casually ask, everyone will say "everything works" on my car.

But when you dig deep, one person A/C works sporadically, another A/C does not work at all, the next person does not have ABS working, other their gauge tank reads in increments of 1/8th, others Power Steering is in limp mode and the list goes on and on....

Motec was the only one where you actually had everything working from factory like it should. Now, it seems Emtron has everything working similar to Motec and Element Tuning apparently with their Nemesis plug and play package also have basically everything working like factory.

Tell you what, it has been a chore to locate a Local Motec tuner, and everyone who I even ask about tuning Emtron first thing they say is "what is that?"...

There's a local who will be using the Element Tuning Nemesis plug and play so I'll be able to see first hand how much it actually works.

Don't get me wrong, the Motec is not perfect. I have gone through some trial and error with it, but I can honestly say at the end of the day, Pure Automotive has made everything RIGHT no matter what. But given you can get a complete package with harness and ECU from a single point and from people who actually stand behind their product is a big plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob 2fast4u View Post
I spent a weekend making my own harness for the 2jz with my EMU classic in my brz. all new sensors turned out to be less than 3,000$, also got a tablet dash with real dash app so it displays anything I want without buying more gauges or one could get a lcd race dash (aem, ecu master, aim,...)
That's really good when you can save the cost of buying a harness and can make your own.

Last edited by Sportsguy83; 08-15-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (03-12-2019)
Old 08-16-2018, 09:17 AM   #16
all4spl

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
emtron has a complete plug and play for the FA20 and frs. So they have the logic done. Now when you use the KV8 version for the ls swap, you have to integrate the same logic which shouldn't be hard. I have my build going through and I have KV8
all4spl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #17
HawaiianMike

Drives: 2015 Brz Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm all for standalones, but if I can't trick the emissions guy when getting an inspection then it won't work for me. Only thing I can see right now is to dual ecm and have them talk, only to have the brz ecm say everything is fine, regardless of what the actual engine is doing. (Much like my life; I just tell myself everything is fine)
HawaiianMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HawaiianMike For This Useful Post:
s0sl0w (03-18-2019)
Old 08-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #18
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianMike View Post
I'm all for standalones, but if I can't trick the emissions guy when getting an inspection then it won't work for me. Only thing I can see right now is to dual ecm and have them talk, only to have the brz ecm say everything is fine, regardless of what the actual engine is doing. (Much like my life; I just tell myself everything is fine)
@Zer0 is going down the path of getting his swap legal in California, so pay attention to his build on that front.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #19
Zer0

Drives: 2015 frs
I'm going to attempt it the legal way for sure, and if I'm unsuccessful I will let you guys know what will need to be changed.

Last edited by Zer0; 08-18-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zer0 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (03-12-2019)
Old 08-28-2018, 04:58 PM   #20
MRS-Colin

Drives: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I hate to keep bursting that bubble, but a state that requires tailpipe and all monitors ready will be next to impossible to pass on a vehicle after '96. Now if you swap all of the fuel and emissions related components and have a good ref...maybe.
GrabTheWheel (03-13-2019), wparsons (03-12-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #21
Zer0

I have all the emissions components, wire harness, and ECU to run the entire emission system. We will find out later this year.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #22
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
I have all the emissions components, wire harness, and ECU to run the entire emission system. We will find out later this year.
For all the extra time, money and energy spent I’d think it’d be easier to just buy a small condo out of state and register it there. Hell you could rent it out as an income property.

My fingers are crossed for you and I hope you get the coolest ref out there! My understanding is it’s just not possible to have a post obd II swap ESPECIALLY one that goes from a 4 cylinder to a V8 from a different manufacturer but if you get a really cool ref I guess anything is possible. Cheers to you for trying! You’re doing an LT4? My advice is try and get at least 305’s and some more weight over the rear unless you just want to spin tires for days...
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #23
Zer0

It is possible there are plenty of obd II cars that are swapped in California that are legal. I have been involved in a few. I could run into obstacles if the ref is an ass, but I will have everything in place, and functioning properly. Buying a place in lake county California would be the best work around. You only smog one time the entire life you own the car, and you have California plates. Yes it's a LT4

Last edited by Zer0; 03-13-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:44 PM   #24
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
For all the extra time, money and energy spent I’d think it’d be easier to just buy a small condo out of state and register it there. Hell you could rent it out as an income property.

My fingers are crossed for you and I hope you get the coolest ref out there! My understanding is it’s just not possible to have a post obd II swap ESPECIALLY one that goes from a 4 cylinder to a V8 from a different manufacturer but if you get a really cool ref I guess anything is possible. Cheers to you for trying! You’re doing an LT4? My advice is try and get at least 305’s and some more weight over the rear unless you just want to spin tires for days...
Well ive done a lot of research myself for CA laws since i live here and been trying to the same here the right way. So there are a few things you MUST abide by... The year of the engine need to be the same or higher than the car model year. Must retain all factory engine Emissions components ie. EGR, CAT PCV, *evap (more on this later) or their Aftermarket Equivalent (with CARB ID number)...

MUST be the OEM ecu to the Engine. NO aftermarket..

so now OBD2... In california you have all BUT 1 emission monitors ready, AND no monitors failed. This leads up to the EVAP monitor that most cars that takes a couple of trips to get ready or fail. So... if you clear the ECU and drive it very little most monitors will most likely be ready except for evap. Then you might possibly pass BAR. Otherwise i dont think evap will pass. Since it calculates the fuel tank size, the vapor pressure, fuel level, fuel consumption, etc..

OH the ECU thats running the engine need to be the one that's probed when doing the OBD2 test.

And pray that you get a good ref that will slide any other million little things they can nick you on lol...
solidsnake11 (11-21-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 12:09 AM   #25
Zer0

I'm pretty confident. I have someone that can help that worked to get modern Jeep's carb approved for these swaps. I'm running 2017 OEM Zo6 ECU and, complete emission systems the only thing I won't be running is the Zo6 tank. Don't get me wrong if I have to I will cut up the chassis more and fit them in as well. My car is a 2015
Old 03-14-2019, 12:28 AM   #26
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm pretty confident. I have someone that can help that worked to get modern Jeep's carb approved for these swaps. I'm running 2017 OEM Zo6 ECU and, complete emission systems the only thing I won't be running is the Zo6 tank. Don't get me wrong if I have to I will cut up the chassis more and fit them in as well. My car is a 2015
Well knowing how the EVAP gets calculated you will need fuel level sender too according to the Z06 ecu. OHH! also check engine light need to work. (but im sure if someone programs your z06 ecu to ignore any BCM codes). At the end of the day those Test emissions mostly test that the vin matches, and the monitors are passing. So it should not be too complicated OBD2 wize.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:32 AM   #27
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Maybe making this swap legal is easier than I think but if you're able to pull it off I'm going to erect a small statue in your honor! Personally I'm gonna be looking for real estate in Lake County. Is the supercharger going to be hanging out of the hood? Are you doing this swap yourself, designing the engine mounts and everything? What is your CANbus solution? How are you going to get everything to work like factory if it's a street car? I had a ZL1, so I'm a big fan of the LT4, 10 speed is pretty cool too.

Saw your build thread looks like you know what you're doing. Best of luck hope you have it up and running soon!

Last edited by GrabTheWheel; 03-14-2019 at 01:40 AM.
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:21 AM   #28
Zer0

Yes doing it myself. I work 6 days a week and commute 160miles a day so progress is slow. My can bus solution is eliminate it. No ABS, Cruise control. I will be doing work to retain electric power steering, and AC. I will install Bosch Motorsports ABS in the future. The supercharger will most likely push past the hood. It's not going to be easy.