follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
MassTroy
Subaru BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Performance wheel bearings

Last time I was working on my car I noticed that my front wheel bearings seemed very stiff and kinda noisy (they "whir" when you spin them). Someone at the shop suggested that I replace them with some higher performance bearings.

Apparently high temperatures on track can cause the spacers between the balls of the bearing to decay. Performance wheel bearings are designed with materials which can withstand the heat.

Has anyone needed to do this on their cars? Any recommendations on which product to buy or tips on how to install them?
MassTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
The front hubs are not serviceable on our cars. I just bought extra hubs off wreaked cars on craigslist. My favorite local track is hard on the right front and I have had to replace a hub on my car already.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
MassTroy
Subaru BRZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
The front hubs are not serviceable on our cars. I just bought extra hubs off wreaked cars on craigslist. My favorite local track is hard on the right front and I have had to replace a hub on my car already.
How many miles and how many track days do you have on the car? Mine is 60k miles and like 12 track days.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTroy View Post
How many miles and how many track days do you have on the car? Mine is 60k miles and like 12 track days.
I bought the car used almost 3 years ago with 29k on it. It had a bunch of parts on it that leads me to believe it was autoX by the previous owner. At 60K now and 8 track days before I noticed the front right had a crunchy spot in it. Kind of wish I would have kept the bad hub to see if I could get it apart.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:12 PM   #5
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I'm not aware of such a thing for these cars. But the bearings/hubs are easy to replace especially up front- they are a complete unit that bolts to the upright.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
MassTroy
Subaru BRZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
I'm not aware of such a thing for these cars. But the bearings/hubs are easy to replace especially up front- they are a complete unit that bolts to the upright.
I just contacted CSG and they said there aren't any high performance wheel bearings for our cars on the market but the OEM system is pretty good. Not sure why I've seen a few wear out so quickly

Tags
track build, wheel bearing