follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #29
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I did the subframe mounts first, and they added 90% of the extra noise. The diff inserts and tranny mount after that were negligible, but I also have loud summer tires. Maybe with a softer all season tire the diff noise is louder.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:00 PM   #30
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
I did the subframe mounts first, and they added 90% of the extra noise. The diff inserts and tranny mount after that were negligible, but I also have loud summer tires. Maybe with a softer all season tire the diff noise is louder.
We talk here about the Whiteline bushings or generally subframe inserts as every brand has it's own material, hardness, shape and the results may be not comparable?
JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #31
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM THEO View Post
We talk here about the Whiteline bushings or generally subframe inserts as every brand has it's own material, hardness, shape and the results may be not comparable?

Whitelines inserts here. I can't imagine the other inserts are vastly different though. The replacement bushings probably are available in stupid hard compounds too though.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:23 PM   #32
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Whiteline subframe inserts had minimal NVH increase in my experience. The RUCA bushings I added after were way more noticeable, but the positive effect they had greatly outweigh the NVH increase even for a DD imo.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:02 AM   #33
JIM THEO

Did your Whiteline bushing inserts induced some oversteer?
Old 12-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #34
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
To be clear, with the WL subframe and rear diff inserts the NVH change is really only an increase in noise. Zero change in V and maybe a tiny amount of H.

You get noticeable gear noise in 1st with less and less for each additional gear. A slight thunk on quick gear changes. Slight whine/resonance when cruising.

But it's not bad and it breaks in a little too. Very much worth it IMO.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Tristor (02-27-2019)
Old 12-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #35
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
They don't induce oversteer, but they make the back end more predictable and communicative. So when it does oversteer, you can anticipate it better and there's less drama. It turns 'Oh shit I'm sliding!' more into 'Oh neat I'm sliding!'.

And agreed, they add noise. Increased harshness and vibrations are negligible. I picked up significant tire noise and a little bit of gear whine. It's also more noticeable when the diff starts locking up, but that's kinda nice.

Last edited by Yoshoobaroo; 12-24-2018 at 10:55 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (12-24-2018), Tristor (02-27-2019)
Old 12-25-2018, 11:04 AM   #36
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had a very slight noise from the dreaded parcel shelf before installing the Whiteline inserts. After installing them the noise got a lot worse. Tried to remedy it with all the tips provided on the forum. Even went as far as going to work on it with a rivet gun at all possible places where it could rattle to no avail. The noise has gotten less with time but it still rattles a lot when going over bumps.

I would still recommend the inserts though. Much reduced wheel hop with spinning wheels. And the back end just feels more connected.

Harshness is slightly worse than stock, but not by a huge amount. Coilovers with harder springs made much more difference.

Besides from the above there was no noticeable change to noise or vibrations (latter none at all).
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
JIM THEO (12-26-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 08:57 PM   #37
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Has anyone tried the Cusco subframe collars? I'm interested in how they compare to the Whiteline style poly inserts.
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:43 AM   #38
JIM THEO

I finally ordered the STI thicker subframe bolts and subframe lower stoppers from tS 2015, in most reviews I read they INCREASE comfort and rear end stiffness, we'll see!
Old 12-27-2018, 12:09 AM   #39
Carsnguitars

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've been considering this mod myself but hesitate also. I'm not tracking the car at all, mostly DD and lots of highway miles. But I do make occasional spirited runs on some of the curvy roads near me and enjoy it a lot when I do go there. I find some appeal in the comments describing a more connected, a more predictable behaviour in the back end. It's not expensive and I'm confident I have the skills and resources to do this myself. I do have a question for those who have done this though. Do these bushings change the ride height? I've asked this in another thread and it was pointed out that the springs are what determines ride height. That does seem logical, but I still feel if the bushings are thicker and/or harder there could be some, although very small increase in height. Right now on TRD springs (and TRD sway bars) I feel the cars sits just right in terms of appearances. So, can anyone confirm if the height is affected by subframe bushings? My apologies for the long post, and thank you for any replies.
Carsnguitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:22 AM   #40
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsnguitars View Post
I've been considering this mod myself but hesitate also. I'm not tracking the car at all, mostly DD and lots of highway miles. But I do make occasional spirited runs on some of the curvy roads near me and enjoy it a lot when I do go there. I find some appeal in the comments describing a more connected, a more predictable behaviour in the back end. It's not expensive and I'm confident I have the skills and resources to do this myself. I do have a question for those who have done this though. Do these bushings change the ride height? I've asked this in another thread and it was pointed out that the springs are what determines ride height. That does seem logical, but I still feel if the bushings are thicker and/or harder there could be some, although very small increase in height. Right now on TRD springs (and TRD sway bars) I feel the cars sits just right in terms of appearances. So, can anyone confirm if the height is affected by subframe bushings? My apologies for the long post, and thank you for any replies.
I used Voodoo 13 solid inserts, and theres small amounts of adjustment in suspension geometry, in my subjective opinion the car seemed to sit a little lower in the rear after install.
Yes solid is rough, even for daily, but what I sacraficed in comfort was well than made up for in control in the rear for spirited driving/drift events.

https://voodoo13usa.com/shop/2013-fr...rame-bushings/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 15limited For This Useful Post:
Carsnguitars (12-28-2018)
Old 01-17-2019, 07:12 PM   #41
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Removed my Hard Race rear diff mount support bar due to NVH, replaced it with Whiteline bush inserts.

NVH has reduced greatly, still some there but nothing like the solid brace.

Installed all inserts, even the diff ears.

Rear end feels the same with the bush inserts as it did with the brace, just much quiter.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
churchx (01-18-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 12:48 PM   #42
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
What's you guys opinions on the Stance solid bushing inserts vs the poly(or whatever) Whiteline style bushing inserts? Probably more NVH but less give right? I'm LS swapping so stiffening the diff/subframe seemed wise
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote