follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2019, 10:02 AM   #1
AkaJabari

Drives: Scion FR-S, Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
UPDATE: Bent exhuast valve found during recall teardown

Basically as the title states. The service department I dropped my FR-S off at just called and said they found a bent exhaust valve during teardown. What's pissing me off is that they're now attempting to blame me for the bent valve. Saying I drive the car too hard....

THE WHOLE REASON FOR THE RECALL IS TO PREVENT THIS VERY ISSUE.

I explained to my service rep in about as much technical detail as I could muster after having just woken up about this fact and that there's no way in hell I'm paying for the repair. If that valve stem is bent and the tech didn't do it during the repair, then it means it was floating and that's a direct cause of a faulty valve spring.

This particular engine has had ALL the problems. It also fell victim to the oil starvation issue 2 years back (too much sealant in the channel) and developed crank walk resulting in a new short block. Same service department. It was 2 months out of warranty and I couldn't provide adequate service receipts (oil changes) so they made me pay for the whole repair. Not this time, jack!

Milton Reuben Toyota in Augusta, GA. When I dropped it off the service rep told me they've done multiple already and it should only take two days....They've been at it for 2 weeks now and apparently aren't even done with teardown. Come to find out my car is the first one they've worked on regarding this recall and they're using it to train all the techs.

Avoid this place. They have 3 in line waiting for the same recall service. If you're one of those people, take your car to ATL. Avoid having to fight for repair fees.

Last edited by AkaJabari; 01-24-2019 at 04:13 PM. Reason: UPDATE
AkaJabari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
AkaJabari

Drives: Scion FR-S, Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
UPDATE:

Shortly after creating this post, I made a call to Toyota Corporate to file a complaint over the dealership's suggestion that I cover the cost of the bent valve/s (full head replacement). 2 hours later I get a call back from the customer relations manager at the dealership. He tells me that there was some miscommunication between the techs and my service rep and there never was any bent valve/s...

I dropped my car off on 7 Jan. As of 1700 on 23 Jan they are "half way done" with the repair. It's a 12 hour job on the books. What is taking them so long???
AkaJabari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaJabari View Post
UPDATE:

Shortly after creating this post, I made a call to Toyota Corporate to file a complaint over the dealership's suggestion that I cover the cost of the bent valve/s (full head replacement). 2 hours later I get a call back from the customer relations manager at the dealership. He tells me that there was some miscommunication between the techs and my service rep and there never was any bent valve/s...

I dropped my car off on 7 Jan. As of 1700 on 23 Jan they are "half way done" with the repair. It's a 12 hour job on the books. What is taking them so long???

Good Lord this sounds shady as fuuuuuuuuudge.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
eastendraceshop (01-24-2019)