follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2019, 04:22 PM   #57
venturaII
Only users lose weed.

Drives: All the time
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
A blown shock will create that feel and noise all by itself though. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.. or maybe 20 or 30 of them by now. Last blown shock was maybe a month ago.
Also true, but again, I've been giving the mechanic the benefit of not having missed (deliberately or not) a wet strut assembly with dirt caked all over it... Plus, a blown strut will basically not affect whether suspension is able to be compressed easily or not (aside from the gas charge). My money would still be on blown out upper bushings, but as mentioned earlier, OP is likely going to be replacing EVERYTHING at once with take-offs from another car, so this is really just academic at this point..
Old 01-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #58
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 4,607 Times in 2,075 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
Also true, but again, I've been giving the mechanic the benefit of not having missed (deliberately or not) a wet strut assembly with dirt caked all over it... Plus, a blown strut will basically not affect whether suspension is able to be compressed easily or not (aside from the gas charge). My money would still be on blown out upper bushings, but as mentioned earlier, OP is likely going to be replacing EVERYTHING at once with take-offs from another car, so this is really just academic at this point..
Agreed. I wonder how "easily" it was really. If it were truly easy to move it a few inches, I'd also suspect bushing. I just don't like when a mechanic gives a blanket statement and a possible smoke and mirrors show.. instead of "come here and look at this bushing", etc.

I do have a deep distrust of most mechanics though
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (01-17-2019), venturaII (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 09:27 PM   #59
norcalpb

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limted
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is there anyone in Toronto who can spend 30 min to help this guy take out his strut assembly and take pics?

I would like to see pictures of the top hat bearing, the rubber donut below the upper spring perch (spring isolator) and where the shock shaft enters its body.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:28 PM   #60
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 2,910 Times in 1,871 Posts
Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Is there anyone in Toronto who can spend 30 min to help this guy take out his strut assembly and take pics?

I would like to see pictures of the top hat bearing, the rubber donut below the upper spring perch (spring isolator) and where the shock shaft enters its body.

Wish I had time to do it, too busy for the next couple months