follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 02-11-2015, 01:47 AM   #1
#maverick#

Drives: 2006 Pontiac GP (SOLD), 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
#LOLTraction: Maverick's More Organized Boosted FR-S Build

Let me begin with a little bio, I am a college student by day and marketer by night. I bought my 2014 Scion FR-S in June 2014, the goal was clear Forced Induction. I was going to wait 5 years until the warranty expired (Yea Right LOL).

After much research I chose P&L's turbo kit for the FR-S, due to the fact that they are local to me here in Chicago and it is a pretty well designed kit. The kit comes with a turbo similar to the PTE 5858 turbo made to P&L's specifications, with .82 A/R turbine housing. I feel this is a good turbo size for this car.

This car is light from the factory, I enjoy drag racing, traction in 1st and 2nd will be issue I must address as well.
This should get interesting.

-- Parts List --

-- P&L Motorsports Stage 1 Turbo Kit
----- Omni 4 Bar Map Sensor
----- Red Crinkle Coated Intercooler Pipes
----- Ceramic Coated Turbo Manifold/Downpipe
-- South Bend Stage 4 6 puck Clutch w/ Heavy FW (16-17 lbs)
-- Prime Motoring Flex Fuel Kit
-- Injector Dynamic 1000cc Injectors w/ PnP Harness
-- Perrin 3" Catback (SOLD)
-- Perrin Overpipe
-- P&L Motorsports Catback
-- J2 Front Pipe
-- Koyorad Performance Radiator
-- Perrin Radiator Hose Kit
-- Whiteline Postive Shift Kit
-- Energy Suspension Rear Shifter Bushing
-- 2xDW 265 LPH Fuel Pumps
-- Mishimoto Oil Catch Can
-- AEM Wideband Failsafe
-- Innovate MTX-D Oil Temperature/Pressure Guage
-- Whiteline Differential Bushings

-- Pictures --
My car in its beautifully stock form LOL

My Car making friends at school:

Intake/Exhaust Dyno Sheet:

The Goodies:

Here a thicker radiator is going in to deal with all the heat that will be created.

(Oil Pan/Windshield fluid Reservoir Removal):

Installed the intercooler piping

Intercooler piping and the thicker radiator wont fit unless custom top radiator brackets are made. Going to have to get that done.

Feels Appropriate LOL

Done

-- Problems Encountered So Far --

- Turbo manifold didn't fit so I had to go to P&L and they quickly corrected the issue. A+ Service!
- The car was started and driven on a base map and then I found oil inside of my downpipe, my idle oil pressure is a bit higher than normal with my car so since this is a ball bearing turbo we will try adding another Restrictor Fitting and see if this resolves the issue.
- OEM Radiator Fan Shroud didn't fit so this was corrected by adding 2 Slim Fans.

-- Conclusion --
Everything is installed, and currently driving around a base map. Still deciding tires/coils/wheels.

I drove my car home from P&Ls shop with an open down pipe, late at night, I think my neighbors hate me haha

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VB9dssOh1w"]P&L Kit Turbo FRS Open Down Pipe - YouTube[/ame]

Part of my fueling setup got here

ID1000s + DW 265 LPH fuel pumps.

Still waiting on the flex fuel kit.

Also picked up a catch can as well.

Clutch Finally Came In!

Got some more goodies in:

Prime Motoring Flex Fuel Kit, cheers @Prime-Motoring :

Enkei RPF1s 17x9 +45

So yea.... this just happened. I bought another long block that Im gonna send to get built for next spring..

Here is a video of a quick pull on 93 octane at 8 PSI wastegate pressure

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T157Xot-xe8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T157Xot-xe8[/ame]

So I got my car tuned a few weeks ago at FBM.

I made around 400 on e60 with conservative timing at the recommendation of LJ to help preserve my motor as long as possible. LJ @FullBlown is a hell of a tuner and hell of a guy he even stayed almost 2 hours after their business hours so he could get me on my way back to chicago same day. I am happy to say that they will be building my motor for next season

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX4aK9EoAVI"]Turbo FRS - WOT Flyby - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6tnISnDcm0"]Turbo FRS Dyno - YouTube[/ame]

Was at the track the other day. My best pass was a 12.2 @ 116 with a 2.0 60". If I can cut my 60' down I know this car has an 11 second pass in it as it sits. This run was lift shifting. I can cut a couple tenths by doing no lift to shift and launching a little lower and slipping the clutch more.
Not bad for my first ever time doing a pass at the track though.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ROKahJKEuk&"]Frs - YouTube[/ame]

Power Goals:
Low Boost
~ 330 whp

High Boost
~ 500whp

In Conclusion, I would like to end with this statement LOL "Project cars are like New Years Eve. Endless preparation, hype, a sleepless night of fun, followed promptly by massive headaches and regret."

Last edited by #maverick#; 09-02-2015 at 05:18 PM.
#maverick# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by #maverick# View Post
- The car was started and driven on a base map and then I found oil inside of my downpipe, my idle oil pressure is a bit higher than normal with my car so since this is a ball bearing turbo we will try adding another Restrictor Fitting and see if this resolves the issue.
So how much restriction are you running and what size is your oil feed line? I know @Frs300 is having similar issues with his Precision turbo.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
#maverick#

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
So how much restriction are you running and what size is your oil feed line? I know @Frs300 is having similar issues with his Precision turbo.
The oil feed line -4 AN I believe, oil return is -10 AN. As for how much restriction I'm going to have to let you as soon as it comes in to P&L.
Ive heard other people with precisions having this issue as well. And i drove the car for about 60 miles, but i didnt have to top off any oil. Maybe its just a precision thing. I don't know, its my first turbo car, so im doing a lot of research and going with P&Ls advice.

Last edited by #maverick#; 02-11-2015 at 01:54 PM.
#maverick# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:32 PM   #4
Add3r

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FRS
The 500hp high boost power goal, are you attempting that on a stock internal engine? Or is that with a rebuild?
Add3r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Add3r For This Useful Post:
#maverick# (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 02:03 AM   #5
#maverick#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add3r View Post
The 500hp high boost power goal, are you attempting that on a stock internal engine? Or is that with a rebuild?
Stock for now.. I know a couple guys who have been making this much power on e85 for 15k+ miles. I wont be daily driving on that map however. I will have a lower boost map and then high boost for when i need a rush for a couple pulls.

Built motor is coming next winter
Old 02-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
Add3r

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FRS
Quote:
Stock for now.. I know a couple guys who have been making this much power on e85 for 15k+ miles. I wont be daily driving on that map however. I will have a lower boost map and then high boost for when i need a rush for a couple pulls.

Built motor is coming next winter

If the 500hp on stock build for 15k... Thats really impressive for the FA20 from my limited knowledge. Will be watching this build though, want to see what you can do with the kit.
Add3r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Add3r For This Useful Post:
#maverick# (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #7
#maverick#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add3r View Post
If the 500hp on stock build for 15k... Thats really impressive for the FA20 from my limited knowledge. Will be watching this build though, want to see what you can do with the kit.
Yea stock motor. More than 15k... I believe its more towards 20k now, these motors handle boost well but anything over 450 hp is a tossup
Old 02-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #8
Frs300

Drives: Pile of junk
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Quote:
The oil feed line -4 AN I believe, oil return is -10 AN. As for how much restriction I'm going to have to let you as soon as it comes in to P&L.
Ive heard other people with precisions having this issue as well. And i drove the car for about 60 miles, but i didnt have to top off any oil. Maybe its just a precision thing. I don't know, its my first turbo car, so im doing a lot of research and going with P&Ls advice.

@#maverick# get you a 0.065 restrictor or find someone to weld the bottom end of a 1/8 npt fitting and drill a hole 1/16th in it. You also might want to drop down to a -3 line as well. I also have a p&l kit with a 6266 and this is what i had to do
Frs300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frs300 For This Useful Post:
#maverick# (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #9
#maverick#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frs300 View Post
@#maverick# get you a 0.065 restrictor or find someone to weld the bottom end of a 1/8 npt fitting and drill a hole 1/6th in it. You also might want to drop down to a -3 line as well. I also have a p&l kit with a 6266 and this is what i had to do
Thanks for the tips. I will bring this up to p&l they already ordered the fittings
Hows that 6266 treating you? How much power are you making. I think when I build my motor im going to be going with a 6266 or 6466 haha.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:36 PM   #10
Frs300

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I will bring this up to p&l they already ordered the fittings
Hows that 6266 treating you? How much power are you making. I think when I build my motor im going to be going with a 6266 or 6466 haha.
503whp on a mustang dyno running 93 pump gas. I talked to TY about this yesterday even he asked me how i made my own restrictor lol
#maverick# (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 09:43 PM   #11
#maverick#

Quote:
503whp on a mustang dyno running 93 pump gas. I talked to TY about this yesterday even he asked me how i made my own restrictor lol
Sweet haha. Who built your motor? That thing must drag ass. Yea man I fully trust p&l so Im following their advice. I just like to do my own research as well to increase my knowledge because this is the first car I am heavily modifying. Learning so much as I go along its insane.
Frs300 (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 09:45 PM   #12
Frs300

Quote:
Sweet haha. Who built your motor? That thing must drag ass. Yea man I fully trust p&l so Im following their advice. I just like to do my own research as well to increase my knowledge because this is the first car I am heavily modifying. Learning so much as I go along its insane.
@Prime Motoring the second time around
#maverick# (02-12-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 09:47 PM   #13
#maverick#

Quote:
@Prime Motoring the second time around
Haha ok, yea talking to Prime as well. Enjoy it man Ill be there soon enough. I just want this snow to melt and summer to come so i can drive it around LOL
Old 02-13-2015, 11:31 PM   #14
Frs300

Quote:
Haha ok, yea talking to Prime as well. Enjoy it man Ill be there soon enough. I just want this snow to melt and summer to come so i can drive it around LOL

They get it fixed for you yet?