follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-19-2019, 11:47 PM   #1
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Disable boomerang lights, is this possible

I had a headlight replaced after hitting a deer in 2017. The original headlight boomerang is more yellow looking than the new headlight which is bright white. Is it possible to disable these lights? Is there a plug I can disconnect?
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:37 AM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I would make the case to whom ever fixed it, that the old one needs to be replaced because compared to the new one it's not right.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:32 AM   #3
Mr_Eyo

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just cut the wire feeding it power. The wiring diagram is floating around here somewhere.
Mr_Eyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
I would make the case to whom ever fixed it, that the old one needs to be replaced because compared to the new one it's not right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
I had a headlight replaced after hitting a deer in 2017. The original headlight boomerang is more yellow looking than the new headlight which is bright white. Is it possible to disable these lights? Is there a plug I can disconnect?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Eyo View Post
Just cut the wire feeding it power. The wiring diagram is floating around here somewhere.

DO NOT CUT ANYTHING ON YOUR CAR. If there's a solution without cutting do so, there are two methods software and unplug resistor option I prefer the software option because you use the obd2 port to simply forward a command:

Download something like carista and buy an elm327 obd2 dongle: pay for the modifications option and disable drls

OR
torrent techstream by a usb obd2 cable and disable it that way

Alternatively, find the DRL resistor which is behind the front bumper and unplug it, I'm unsure whether this is the same for the BR-Z with LEDs. There is also a 10amp drl fuse in the interior fuse box, and also a DRL relay or fuse in the engine fuse box.

Play around with em till you get the desired light effect without effecting high beams or other lighting

Honestly I only prefer the software solution because you can use the app on multiple cars for diagnosing things and because you don't touch anything hardware related
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
I know, and trust me I thought about that and it would be ideal but it may be a tough push being the headlight is 100% functional and was unscathed in the accident. Plus, my insurer is also my employer, I do not want to ruffle feathers where I eat. MY13 ones are very dim anyhow compared to the newer model years, which sucks to begin with. I'd rather just turn both off than have one mismatched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Eyo View Post
Not completely against it but its not my preference. I could always re-solder the wire to undo it I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
DO NOT CUT ANYTHING ON YOUR CAR. If there's a solution without cutting do so, there are two methods software and unplug resistor option I prefer the software option because you use the obd2 port to simply forward a command:

Download something like carista and buy an elm327 obd2 dongle: pay for the modifications option and disable drls

OR
torrent techstream by a usb obd2 cable and disable it that way

Alternatively, find the DRL resistor which is behind the front bumper and unplug it, I'm unsure whether this is the same for the BR-Z with LEDs. There is also a 10amp drl fuse in the interior fuse box, and also a DRL relay or fuse in the engine fuse box.

Play around with em till you get the desired light effect without effecting high beams or other lighting

Honestly I only prefer the software solution because you can use the app on multiple cars for diagnosing things and because you don't touch anything hardware related
The boomerangs are not DRL's, they are technically parking lights, right? And I never cut anything, the most I've done is spliced into wires for any of my mods. It really sucks that LED's change color over time. I wonder how hard it would be to replace the boards, diode dynamics sells and RGB kit so it's definitely doable. I'd likely just put in some white replacements.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/2013-2...ed-boards.html

Edit: I think I am going to do the LED replacement. This will also allow me to swap out the factory HID lenses with the STI-R's to give that sharp beam pattern that I miss with the S2000.

Last edited by B-R-Z; 01-20-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #6
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Garage
You can unplug it. Simple answer.
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:54 PM   #7
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
I know, and trust me I thought about that and it would be ideal but it may be a tough push being the headlight is 100% functional and was unscathed in the accident. Plus, my insurer is also my employer, I do not want to ruffle feathers where I eat. MY13 ones are very dim anyhow compared to the newer model years, which sucks to begin with. I'd rather just turn both off than have one mismatched.

Not completely against it but its not my preference. I could always re-solder the wire to undo it I guess.

The boomerangs are not DRL's, they are technically parking lights, right? And I never cut anything, the most I've done is spliced into wires for any of my mods. It really sucks that LED's change color over time. I wonder how hard it would be to replace the boards, diode dynamics sells and RGB kit so it's definitely doable. I'd likely just put in some white replacements.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/2013-2...ed-boards.html

Edit: I think I am going to do the LED replacement. This will also allow me to swap out the factory HID lenses with the STI-R's to give that sharp beam pattern that I miss with the S2000.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2445685

I've always considered them the DRL, they use the same circuit.....
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #8
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Yeah, I found a few videos/posts that cover taking these apart and it seems like a relatively simple weekend project. I think I will go with the white/amber version that does blinker switchback instead of the RGB. https://www.diodedynamics.com/2013-2...ed-boards.html

I can kill 3 birds with 1 stone:

1. Boomerang LED replacement
2. STI-R HID lenses
3. Blackout
Old 01-21-2019, 01:32 PM   #9
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Garage
Quote:
Yeah, I found a few videos/posts that cover taking these apart and it seems like a relatively simple weekend project. I think I will go with the white/amber version that does blinker switchback instead of the RGB. https://www.diodedynamics.com/2013-2...ed-boards.html

I can kill 3 birds with 1 stone:

1. Boomerang LED replacement
2. STI-R HID lenses
3. Blackout
A good portion of the brz headlights are blacked out already
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:36 PM   #10
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. BRZ View Post
A good portion of the brz headlights are blacked out already
Still a lot of chrome in there though, if I have them apart, may as well paint them.