follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

View Poll Results: which one is the best?
mobil 1 18 46.15%
amsoil 16 41.03%
royal purple 5 12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 10-02-2018, 02:18 PM   #43
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Come on. That's a cheap shot. Use 5w30 the next time you change your oil. If you honestly can't feel the difference, then there's no point in discussing it any further because you just aren't that guy.

The majority of people are mechanically tone deaf. There's nothing wrong with that but don't be mean to those who aren't.
So, is this a hearing or feeling thing, or both -

What should we be listening for - feeling for - ??

Is it ma med time yet? I've moved on to the 1,000 mg bottle of ***, the 500 mg strength wasn't getting it -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:31 PM   #44
chipmunk

Drives: _
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
OMG - that stuff is "real" -

humfrz
It's a satirical website, thankfully!

Just imagine the horrors of wives insisting using essential oils in engines that they bought from their one hippie friend!
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:31 PM   #45
Joesurf79

Drives: 2016 White Pearl BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Valvoline syntech 5-30 in the track car most of the time (ALWAYS on sale at Advance Auto - and has a made / owned in USA logo!!!), until my buddy's reminders that he deals Amsoil co-incide with a change, and I toss him a few bucks
Joesurf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #46
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk View Post
It's a satirical website, thankfully!

Just imagine the horrors of wives insisting using essential oils in engines that they bought from their one hippie friend!

Na ugh - it's real - I read it on the Internet -

It says:

"doTerra is a multi-level marketing company based in Pleasant Grove, Utah that sells essential oils.."

So, I'm going to get in on the ground floor of this pyramid - and get rich -

I ordered a 55 gal barrel for starters, I'm gonna repackage it -

Now, where did I put that bottle of *** oil - it's time for another dose.

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 04:00 PM   #47
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

Now, where did I put that bottle of *** oil - it's time for another dose.

humfrz
You seem to talk about that *** oil a lot. ALOT.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #48
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Because I'm generally not a believer in brand mattering much when it comes to motor oil I've done a different oil every 2 oil changes, just did my second one with AMSOil Signature Series. First 2 were Subaru OEM, next 2 were Mobil 1. I get a UOA w/ TBN on /every/ oil change.

Guess what? No real differences. I like AMSOil's product line though, so I'm probably going to continue using it, although I may switch to Motul since it's not too expensive and I'm using Motul brake fluid and will likely need to do diff fluid at my next oil change and am probably putting in Motul.

Long story short, don't overthink it. Just make sure you're using either 0W-20 or 5W-30 depending on your local climate/driving style, and buy full-synthetic from a reputable brand.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-02-2018), Tcoat (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 07:14 PM   #49
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You seem to talk about that *** oil a lot. ALOT.

Yep, it's my latest "snake oil type stuff" attempt to preclude hips replacements.

The Chief, down on the reservation, at the Pot Shop, keeps trying to get me to try the other half of his cannabis plants, but I'm resisting.

I have some other stuff coming, from the Internet, that claims to be a natural cure. We shall see.

None of them could be less effective than that grape juice and fruit pectin concoction that mrs humfrz conjured up.

humfrz
Old 10-02-2018, 08:14 PM   #50
humfrz

Quote:
Not a cheap shot I am trying to understand what you say you feel or hear. Changing the oil to a whole different viscosity is not the same thing as one that has literally dropped a small percentage due to use. This is why I feel that if the oil has dropped so far in viscosity that you can tell the difference it has to be no longer working properly and is causing damage. Not great damage but damage all the same.
There has to be something that physical that is detectable by anybody even those that are "mechanically tone deaf" for this phenomenon to exist. To say some have it and others just don't get it is a cop out. This is the whole "I really feel that lightweight pulley" thing at a fluid level.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:21 PM   #51
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I got my oil changed and tires rotated for 34 bucks otd at my dealer. Doubt they use Mobil 1 lol
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-02-2018), Tcoat (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 09:43 PM   #52
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have been using Idemitsu to top it off since my understanding is that it's the factory fill. Funny thing is the stuff I bought off amazon is manufactured here in the US. Had no idea they produced this stuff here.

Here it is with all that Moly goodness. Might be bumping up to 5w-30 for my first oil change since I kinda run the car hard.

humfrz (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 10:58 PM   #53
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
I got my oil changed and tires rotated for 34 bucks otd at my dealer. Doubt they use Mobil 1 lol
It don't matter what they used as long as the drums were stored on their sides.

Oil has a really long shelf life, heck, it was stored in the ground for millions of years -

humfrz
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2018, 11:00 PM   #54
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_E_L View Post
I have been using Idemitsu to top it off since my understanding is that it's the factory fill. Funny thing is the stuff I bought off amazon is manufactured here in the US. Had no idea they produced this stuff here.

Here it is with all that Moly goodness. Might be bumping up to 5w-30 for my first oil change since I kinda run the car hard.

Great photography!

humfrz
R_E_L (10-03-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 11:03 PM   #55
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Not a cheap shot I am trying to understand what you say you feel or hear. Changing the oil to a whole different viscosity is not the same thing as one that has literally dropped a small percentage due to use. This is why I feel that if the oil has dropped so far in viscosity that you can tell the difference it has to be no longer working properly and is causing damage. Not great damage but damage all the same.
There has to be something that physical that is detectable by anybody even those that are "mechanically tone deaf" for this phenomenon to exist. To say some have it and others just don't get it is a cop out. This is the whole "I really feel that lightweight pulley" thing at a fluid level.
There is a physical change that is detectable by anybody with the right equipment in a controlled test. I don't think a simple audio recording inside the cabin would capture it. Even if I did manage to show the change in timbre with a spectrum analysis I bet it would still be subtle enough that a doubter could easily claim "noise" or "margin of error."

I can prove that I can hear/feel the difference as easily as prove that I can tell the difference between new and perfectly ok guitar strings.

Can you prove that I'm imagining it? I probably should have led with that after @humfrz sucked me in ... again.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:43 PM   #56
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
There is a physical change that is detectable by anybody with the right equipment in a controlled test. I don't think a simple audio recording inside the cabin would capture it. Even if I did manage to show the change in timbre with a spectrum analysis I bet it would still be subtle enough that a doubter could easily claim "noise" or "margin of error."

I can prove that I can hear/feel the difference as easily as prove that I can tell the difference between new and perfectly ok guitar strings.

Can you prove that I'm imagining it? I probably should have led with that after @humfrz sucked me in ... again.
Hey, I was just eating my popcorn.-

However, if you want to get all scientific, I suggest that you all do an experiment while you are gathered for a tech day.

Line up five FR-S cars with used oil in them. Start them up, let ol @Ultramaroon do his feelie/touchie/hearie/mind meld thingie with each one.

Now, in Ultramaroon's absence, change the oil in one of the cars. Run all five cars for five minutes.

Now ask ol "7th sense Ultra" to pick out the car that had just had its oil changed.

Yes, betting would be allowed.

@Tcoat would be the judge.

Beers for all -

humfrz
Turbo (10-04-2018)