follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2014, 11:40 PM   #85
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@African I meant no disrespect in my comment and apologise if I've jacked your thread, purely just shared info, as it was asked.

Reality is we are achieving these gains on NA. An 86 at 133 wkw 202 Nm is causing havoc with the hot hatch turbos here on the coast, even out running tuned G6 & 7, ST. Before anyone posts videos and comments on Ford and VW forums chatting how a certain NA 86 is out launching and rolling them. I'm certainly not saying NA is faster than a turbo, but for a fraction of the cost trying to Supercharge or Turbo a 86, guys can now know there are ways of getting a NA 86 to acceptable power and having fun with with there car.

That's all I got to say about that
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:35 AM   #86
Scarl3t

Drives: Hachi-Roku
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
@African I meant no disrespect in my comment and apologise if I've jacked your thread, purely just shared info, as it was asked.

Reality is we are achieving these gains on NA. An 86 at 133 wkw 202 Nm is causing havoc with the hot hatch turbos here on the coast, even out running tuned G6 & 7, ST. Before anyone posts videos and comments on Ford and VW forums chatting how a certain NA 86 is out launching and rolling them. I'm certainly not saying NA is faster than a turbo, but for a fraction of the cost trying to Supercharge or Turbo a 86, guys can now know there are ways of getting a NA 86 to acceptable power and having fun with with there car.

That's all I got to say about that

I like it, thanks Ryan.
When is the Speed & Sound issue with your beast as a featured car hitting the shelf, also please post some pics, i've kinde seen a pic where you have installed the GT86 wing on RMS Facebook page, would like to see what els you've been up to,

regards
a.k.a V3rgil
Scarl3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:29 AM   #87
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarl3t View Post
I like it, thanks Ryan.
When is the Speed & Sound issue with your beast as a featured car hitting the shelf, also please post some pics, i've kinde seen a pic where you have installed the GT86 wing on RMS Facebook page, would like to see what els you've been up to,

regards
a.k.a V3rgil
You have been quiet, move back up to JHB?
I'm not sure what S&S are going to do, we did a photo shoot, await and see.

Here shots from S&S at Top Gear show.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2014, 02:18 AM   #88
African

Drives: 2013 Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Gents

No sweat but let's compare apples to apples ...... run a std 86 with say 95 octane on a dyna ....do a ECU tweak and then compare with same elevation and ambient temp. That will give a max gain of 5-6% at specific revs.

If you flash and add octane booster, change air intakes and do headers and exhaust .... it's not a true comparison.

Let's be real ..... Std n/a is 147 kW with normal variations could be 4% up or down but let's work on 147kW at sea level.

Transmission eats 25% roughly so you will see about on wheels of 110kW.

Jhb is more fun .... that quoted 147kW is now 18% less ...... so flywheel bhp is 121 kW and then transmission takes 25% ...... 91 kW on rear wheels.

But it doesn't stop there ... Japs are known to quote flywheel bhp without any aux on whilst Germans quote with all alternator and aux connected ....so your 147kW may not be a real 147kW on flywheel after alternator and such are connected.

Add a air intake ..... fiddle ECU and you tell me you have 139kW power on wheels at sea level ....flywheel power has jumped to 185kW. Now that is an engineering BS story of note.

As for let's put it on the dyna and see ...sounds very much like women taking relationship advice from Cosmo. Unless you have a verifiable standard calibration to compare it too, your dyna graph means jack squat.

But if it make you feels good, go for it!! Science does not back your claims but WTF, it's your wheels
African is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:27 AM   #89
qbzee007

Drives: 97 Audi A4 1.8 Avant '13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
well well.

qbzee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:31 AM   #90
Scarl3t

Drives: Hachi-Roku
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
You have been quiet, move back up to JHB?
I'm not sure what S&S are going to do, we did a photo shoot, await and see.

Here shots from S&S at Top Gear show.
JIP back in JHB,
She's looking good, did you import the kit, or did Toyota DBN hook you up?
Scarl3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:52 AM   #91
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by African View Post
Gents

No sweat but let's compare apples to apples ...... run a std 86 with say 95 octane on a dyna ....do a ECU tweak and then compare with same elevation and ambient temp. That will give a max gain of 5-6% at specific revs.

If you flash and add octane booster, change air intakes and do headers and exhaust .... it's not a true comparison.

Let's be real ..... Std n/a is 147 kW with normal variations could be 4% up or down but let's work on 147kW at sea level.

Jhb is more fun .... that quoted 147kW is now 18% less ...... so flywheel bhp is 121 kW and then transmission takes 25% ...... 91 kW on rear wheels.

But it doesn't stop there ... Japs are known to quote flywheel bhp without any aux on whilst Germans quote with all alternator and aux connected ....so your 147kW may not be a real 147kW on flywheel after alternator and such are connected.

Add a air intake ..... fiddle ECU and you tell me you have 139kW power on wheels at sea level ....flywheel power has jumped to 185kW. Now that is an engineering BS story of note.

As for let's put it on the dyna and see ...sounds very much like women taking relationship advice from Cosmo. Unless you have a verifiable standard calibration to compare it too, your dyna graph means jack squat.

But if it make you feels good, go for it!! Science does not back your claims but WTF, it's your wheels
Stage 1 NA is Drop in Filter and Tune on 95 Ron went from 117wkw to 126wkw

Stage 2 NA is drop in filter, header, exhaust and tune on 95 Ron 116wkw to 133wkw, added Liqui Molly Octane Booster got up to 139wkw

The above done on my own car and as I said 6 others.
CPI tuning are also getting close to the numbers achieved by @DeliciousTuning

I can assure you, numbers are legit using the same dyno for all tests

Question what gains did you achieve from before and after SC install?

We have got my SC install from 115 wkw to 189wkw. 95ron

Go onto www.delicioustuning.com if you want to see the results being achieved across the different platforms.
Even Vishnu from OFT is making great gains

I'm enjoying to chat
Old 08-26-2014, 03:27 AM   #92
Dammod

Drives: .
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
By the way, to "fiddle" with the ECU you need to "flash" it regardless. Just mentioning this because in you first paragraph you referring to "tweaking" then in the second you use the word "flash" as if it adds more power. Any "tweaks" you do needs to be "flashed to the ECU.

Last edited by Dammod; 02-16-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Dammod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:30 AM   #93
Td-d
Garden variety obsessive

Drives: 2009 Sti Hatch; 2015 Audi RSQ3
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Ironically, you guys are actually saying the same thing - and I agree - compare like for like. A 'stage 1' (I hate this nomenclature) as per the figures above is about a 7% increase (at the top end, at the coast) - so not far from the 5% to 6% you're saying @African. With a drop in filter and tuning (in particular, if you know what you're doing with AVCS you are effectively increasing the volumetric efficiency of the engine as well) that's doable.

I don't think you'd lose the full 18% as per the rule of thumb of circa % per 100m elevation given how high the static compression ratio is of these engines. I stand to be corrected, as I've not worked with the BRZ's in the flesh, but I would think 14%-15% loss.
Td-d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Td-d For This Useful Post:
JouMaSeHoes (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 03:37 AM   #94
Td-d
Garden variety obsessive

Drives: 2009 Sti Hatch; 2015 Audi RSQ3
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammod View Post
(By the way, to "fiddle" with the ECU you need to "flash" it regardless. Just mentioning this because in you first paragraph you referring to "tweaking" then in the second you use the word "flash" as if it adds more power. Any "tweaks" you do needs to be "flashed to the ECU.)
Actually, you can - that's the whole point of a piggyback device, like the unichip. The device effectively hijacks the signals from the various sensors to the ecu (on the harness) and alters the signal (voltage, current, etc.) that the ecu sees (through manipulation via software). You are not flashing the ecu.

Not my choice of tuning, but can be used effectively, like blunt force trauma
Td-d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Td-d For This Useful Post:
JouMaSeHoes (08-26-2014)
Old 08-26-2014, 03:54 AM   #95
Dammod

Drives: .
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Td-d View Post
Actually, you can - that's the whole point of a piggyback device, like the unichip. The device effectively hijacks the signals from the various sensors to the ecu (on the harness) and alters the signal (voltage, current, etc.) that the ecu sees (through manipulation via software). You are not flashing the ecu.

Not my choice of tuning, but can be used effectively, like blunt force trauma
Fully agreed thanks Td-d, but I was referring to the standard ECU alone in both cases. Just thought there was a misunderstanding in the terminology.
Dammod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #96
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Why is everybody getting so worked up about the numbers? Same car, same dyno, before & after. %=? That's all that matters...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:
Dammod (08-27-2014), FT_86_SM_GP (08-27-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 02:09 AM   #97
WesleyG

Drives: 2014 Satin White Pearl GTS auto
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
im really not a fan of the unicrap to be honest, most of the people i know end up having problems with it and eventually end up tossing it.

The unichip was for a time when car ecus where not clever and you couldnt flash them.

With software tuning its just a matter of a flash and you are good to go, no wiring needs to be cut or tapped into at all.

but thats my opinion.
WesleyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:04 AM   #98
FT_86_SM_GP

Drives: Lawn moweR
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by African View Post
Gents

Stage 1 @RGM
Attached Images

FT_86_SM_GP is offline   Reply With Quote