follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-14-2018, 02:57 AM   #1
Brzxton

Drives: 2015 Subaru Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Steering wheel crooked and ABS and Traction Lights On

So i was wrappinng my interior and took off the steering wheel to get the the cluter cover piece to wrap it, but what i didnt do was tape the steering angle sensor so it moved and now its all out of wack. So now my wheel is off by about 30 degrees and my traction control and abs lights are on. Also my cruise control works for changing between maps, but doesnt actually work as a usable cruise control which is kind of wierd. And when i tried to just make it straight the sensor moved to back to crooked. Has anyone experienced this problem and will i have to buy a new angle sensor or just have it reflashed? Thanks!!
Brzxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzxton View Post
So i was wrappinng my interior and took off the steering wheel to get the the cluter cover piece to wrap it, but what i didnt do was tape the steering angle sensor so it moved and now its all out of wack. So now my wheel is off by about 30 degrees and my traction control and abs lights are on. Also my cruise control works for changing between maps, but doesnt actually work as a usable cruise control which is kind of wierd. And when i tried to just make it straight the sensor moved to back to crooked. Has anyone experienced this problem and will i have to buy a new angle sensor or just have it reflashed? Thanks!!

There's a big chance you damaged the clockspring. Try and see if you can find a used one in a scrapyard.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #3
Razorlor

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited, Perf Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Cruise control will be disabled if there are traction control or abs faults, but yeah, sounds like a clockspring. Did you do anything to prevent the steering shaft from rotating when you had the wheel off?
Razorlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
I would take it in to the dealer and see if they can re-calibrate it first. If they can't you need a new clockspring.
NoHaveMSG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #5
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It's been said already, but definitely clock-spring.

I stupidly damaged mine a few years ago when I installed a Nardi wheel and NRG hub. I only had the wheel/hub on for about 2 weeks and decided to go back to stock, but when I put everything back together, my airbag light was on because the ribbon inside the clock-spring had been damaged. I'm not even sure how I managed this but must have just been careless with the install.

Somehow through a massive stroke of luck, the same guy who sold me the Nardi had an extra clock-spring laying around and gave it to me for free. I installed it myself in my driveway (which was nerve-wracking because I couldn't find a DIY for it so I basically just had to guess as I went along; it actually wasn't too bad), put it all back together, and thankfully the airbag light disappeared and has never come back again.

Scour local junkyards for a used part if you can; I have a feeling something like that could be expensive through the dealer.

Good luck!

Last edited by SLVRSRFR; 03-15-2018 at 06:41 PM.
SLVRSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SLVRSRFR For This Useful Post:
Tristor (03-22-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 09:13 PM   #6
Brzxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorlor View Post
Cruise control will be disabled if there are traction control or abs faults, but yeah, sounds like a clockspring. Did you do anything to prevent the steering shaft from rotating when you had the wheel off?
No i didnt thats why its messed up. And i tried going 2 1/2 turns each way to find the middle and when i did it still didnt work. Do you think i would be able to go to the dealer and get it recalibrated or will i need a whole new clockspring? And when i get the new clockspring will i need to get ir recalibrated?
Old 03-15-2018, 04:06 PM   #7
Razorlor

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited, Perf Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If the shaft rotated when it was disconnected, you definitely broke the clockspring. It will have to be replaced. They aren't made to rotate very far past the normal lock.

I've never heard of a clockspring needing calibration. But I've only replaced a handful on some Hyundais. Just make sure the steering wheel is centered. You will need to do a steering angle sensor relearn or your stability control may be erratic.
Razorlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:25 AM   #8
Brzxton

*UPDATE*
So i bought a new clockspring and installed it but it didnt solve the issue. So, i went my local subie dealer and got the steering angle sensor recalibrated which solved the problem. Whether i needed a new clockspring or not, idk. But it is fixed and straight now.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:16 AM   #9
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
*UPDATE*
So i bought a new clockspring and installed it but it didnt solve the issue. So, i went my local subie dealer and got the steering angle sensor recalibrated which solved the problem. Whether i needed a new clockspring or not, idk. But it is fixed and straight now.
If you don't mind sharing about how much did that set you back?
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #10
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
*UPDATE*
YIKES! ...... clock springs ..... steering angle sensors ....... SMH

Back-in-the-day, I would just pop the center piece off the steering wheel, take off the nut, rotate the steering wheel so it was straight, push it back in the shaft, replace the nut and snap the cap back on ........ a one beer job.

Oh, leemie alone ....... the king pins were so wore out, that it didn't much matter to the alignment .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #11
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
YIKES! ...... clock springs ..... steering angle sensors ....... SMH

Back-in-the-day, I would just pop the center piece off the steering wheel, take off the nut, rotate the steering wheel so it was straight, push it back in the shaft, replace the nut and snap the cap back on ........ a one beer job.

Oh, leemie alone ....... the king pins were so wore out, that it didn't much matter to the alignment .....

humfrz
Sometimes it would even happen on it's own while you were driving. That was always a fun time.
humfrz (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #12
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Sometimes it would even happen on it's own while you were driving. That was always a fun time.
Now, THAT brings back a back-in-the-day story.

It was a clear, cold, winter day in Connecticut and I was running low on firewood. So I loaded up my number one son in my 1956 Ford pickup and headed to this clear cut area for some firewood. The price was right, but the area was in rough terrain and the wood was mostly ugly.

(oh, I think I've told this story before ..... but. maybe Tcoat won't remember ..)

I had loaded up the truck and was on my way out when I hit a stump and the steering felt all funny. When I got out of the truck and looked at the front end, one front wheel was going right and the other one was going left .....

So, I pulled the badly bent tie rod off and was banging on it with a large rock as it sat between two stumps. I wasn't making much progress, when a nice fellow, that lived near, offered to carry us and the bent tie rod up to his place and put a torch to it and beat it straight with a BFH.

Yep, put it back on and chugged back home.

THE END

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Guff (03-22-2018), Tcoat (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #13
Brzxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
If you don't mind sharing about how much did that set you back?
It was $205 total. $85 for the clockspring and 120 for the recalibration which is really overpriced but oh well.