follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Do you have the described AT issues?
Yes, but I've ignored them 41 34.17%
Yes, TSB fixed it 14 11.67%
Yes, dealer fix did not help 12 10.00%
No everything is fine 53 44.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2016, 11:53 PM   #85
MidwestFRS

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I 've logged about 500 miles since getting the TSB done, I no longer have any issues with hard shifting and can drive it in manual mode again finally !
Greddy Evo GT exhaust / 5 AD lip spoiler / Enkei EKM3 Wheels / Muteki SR35 lugs / Rokblokz / Avest sidemarkers with signals / DiodeDynamics switchback turn signals / euro armrest / Greddy PVD shift knob
MidwestFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MidwestFRS For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 11:25 PM   #86
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestFRS View Post
I 've logged about 500 miles since getting the TSB done, I no longer have any issues with hard shifting and can drive it in manual mode again finally !
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
Update!

Got the TSB work done on the car today. Drove it for almost 200 miles, mix of mostly highway, some city, some backroads. Did all of the tests listed in the various threads that would cause the hard shifting/heavy engine braking/non-rev matching/etc. issues - driving normally as before all this started! I did as spirited driving (beating the piss out of the poor thing) as I could without getting in trouble or attracting too much attention to myself, no issues returned. Also, no more idle hunting!

I'll continue to monitor for a few more days to a week, just hope everything keeps being ok. Maybe its just in my head but manual shifts and full auto shifts seem to be more snappy than before.

Below is what they wrote. It states that they flashed the ECU but pretty sure they meant TCM... Btw for anyone in the future who are having these issues, don't mention anything else except for idle hunt. I tried explaining the other issues and they were confused as hell...

Lastly, huge thanks to everyone who participated in all of the associated threads. This was extremely helpful in resolving this issue, hopefully once and for all!

Thanks Guys, it's good to know that it worked out! I'll edit the original post to include the usernames of people who had the same issue and got it fixed via the TSB.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
MechEGR (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 12:27 AM   #87
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Main post has been updated
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 01-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #88
DashRipRock

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S-6AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
At dealer now. They had to look up the TSB but found it and are going to apply the update. Hope this also fixes the shifting problem for me.
DashRipRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #89
V_86

Drives: 2015 Asphalt FR-S
I've noticed that since the reflash the TCM will do a small and soft "rev match" when slowing down to a stop in regular D mode. Not sure if it did this before because I wasn't paying attention, but kind of a bonus I guess.
V_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #90
aa_chow

Drives: 2015 FR-S, 2020 Mazda 3 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_86 View Post
I've noticed that since the reflash the TCM will do a small and soft "rev match" when slowing down to a stop in regular D mode. Not sure if it did this before because I wasn't paying attention, but kind of a bonus I guess.
Please elaborate more...e.g. from what speed at what revs etc....I didn't notice it after the update....but it may be because I hardly drove in D before the update.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
aa_chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:05 PM   #91
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Noticed this too. Also noticed this when the issues were still occuring, but it took a second then rev-matched.

Btw, a week and few days have passed since getting the reflash. All fine and dandy! Enjoying the car even more than before now that no more issues are happening.

The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:23 PM   #92
V_86

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_chow View Post
Please elaborate more...e.g. from what speed at what revs etc....I didn't notice it after the update....but it may be because I hardly drove in D before the update.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Most cars I've had when you slow down the transmission seamlessly lets the revs drop. I don't know if its a problem I even care to fix (given how happy I am after the reflash), but now when I slow down from low speeds in D, the trans will shift gear from say 3 to 2 and 2 to 1, and the tach will show the revs go up maybe a few hundred RPM when the shift occurs.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:50 AM   #93
aa_chow

Drives: 2015 FR-S, 2020 Mazda 3 Sport
Quote:
Most cars I've had when you slow down the transmission seamlessly lets the revs drop. I don't know if its a problem I even care to fix (given how happy I am after the reflash), but now when I slow down from low speeds in D, the trans will shift gear from say 3 to 2 and 2 to 1, and the tach will show the revs go up maybe a few hundred RPM when the shift occurs.
Is this with no, soft, or hard braking?
aa_chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:44 AM   #94
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I just got off the phone with Scion Canada Corporate regarding this TSB. Apparently, this TSB is not in the Canadian system (for whatever reason), but I did make sure to let the person I spoke with just now that when I went on a diagnostic drive the tech was rude and belittling, the service manager has ignored my concerns for the past 8 months or so and I have been keeping track of everything that has gone on in regards to this problem.

He told me he was sending my case off to his managers, so we'll see what comes of it. Since Guelph Toyota (bolding that so maybe I can help other people in my area with this issue avoid this dealership for service) is pretty much telling me to get lost, I'm now starting to look at other dealerships I can go to in order to get this resolved. I'm almost at the point where I'm ready to do this update on my own.

Edit: Though I would like to point out that the people who work on the Scion/Used Cars side of things there are all great dudes who actually believe in the products the sell/work on. Most of them actually drive the FRS, which is great to see when you're looking at buying one.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:25 PM   #95
V_86

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_chow View Post
Is this with no, soft, or hard braking?
Soft braking. Again, I'm not about to mess with it, as I like the way the car drives now, I just took notice.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #96
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I just got off the phone with Scion Canada Corporate regarding this TSB. Apparently, this TSB is not in the Canadian system (for whatever reason), but I did make sure to let the person I spoke with just now that when I went on a diagnostic drive the tech was rude and belittling, the service manager has ignored my concerns for the past 8 months or so and I have been keeping track of everything that has gone on in regards to this problem.

He told me he was sending my case off to his managers, so we'll see what comes of it. Since Guelph Toyota (bolding that so maybe I can help other people in my area with this issue avoid this dealership for service) is pretty much telling me to get lost, I'm now starting to look at other dealerships I can go to in order to get this resolved. I'm almost at the point where I'm ready to do this update on my own.

Edit: Though I would like to point out that the people who work on the Scion/Used Cars side of things there are all great dudes who actually believe in the products the sell/work on. Most of them actually drive the FRS, which is great to see when you're looking at buying one.

Good to know, I have techstream on my laptop as well as a usb obd2 cable for it however I have yet to even tried using it for anything. I'm not sure how you would go about flashing the new TCM logic or even finding the specific calibration file. The TSB references S-SB-0015-14 which is the procedure for flashing using tech stream but I'm having a difficult time finding that one. It involves logging into techstream downloading the calibration file and then following a bunch of steps using techstream to flash it.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:10 AM   #97
DashRipRock

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S-6AT
After driving with the TSB installed this week it looks like the shifting issues are fixed!! The car is running better.

Very happy.
DashRipRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DashRipRock For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (01-20-2016), MechEGR (01-18-2016), soulreapersteve (01-19-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #98
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Just received a call from Scion Canada. Apparently they need to do some more investigating into my issues at the dealership. And they also need to see if there is a Canadian equivalent to this TSB.

Out of curiosity, where can I even find any info about TSB's? Is it something dealerships have but keep in the dark? Is it publicly available info? I cannot find anything except for recalls.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote