follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #169
lazyluka

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Most of the questions asked have already been answered..... Please consider reading the full thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybmx View Post
Is there any way to drain the oil from this cooler during oil change?
See posts above (#155/#156). You don't need to drain the oil during oil change. This is perfectly normal on every oil cooler out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM4E View Post
A few questions

1) is the radiator deeper than stock to the engine area? (read: will it fit JDL EL catted longtube header?)
2) any disadvantages or concerns for daily use? I am thinking of this piece as another step from Forester water/oil cooler. I live from -30 °C to +30 °C, daily, spirited, and 20 mins max. occasional track sprints. Also if this warm up the oil even faster than Forester cooler, than great. I don't want dedicated air-oil cooler because of winter hassle
3) any chance JacksonRacing will reconsider and provide better quality hoses as mentioned above?
4) can you see the JacksronRacing logo from the front of the car? If so, can it be removed or somewhat erased? Nothing about the brand, just OEM stealth look for me.
Thanks
1) Radiator is 31mm and majority of thickness is pushed backwards. Post #59
Also see Post #78 for how to measure if it will fit with your exhaust
2) I don't think warm up will be much different to the Forester cooler. Should be OK for cold climates. Post #38 Post #45
3) I am sure the JR hoses will be fine, but you can always make/purchase your own hoses if this is a huge concern. I have however emailed @CSG David about doing something like this on the order I placed just due to international shipping delays/peace of mind.
4) The radiator is located behind the AC condenser so you can't see the radiator from the front of the car even if it has a logo on it (unless you have an AC delete).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Does anyone know if this is an improvement over the Forester XT cooler mod with a larger radiator?
Yes it would be an improvement considering it will apparently outperform the Perrin. I am moving from the Cusco cooler (similar to the Forester) to this to avoid overheating the oil on extended track sessions.
See Post #97
To upgrade or not will depend on the type of driving you are doing. If you don't track your car, the XT cooler may be sufficient for your needs.

Last edited by lazyluka; 06-07-2017 at 05:28 PM.
lazyluka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lazyluka For This Useful Post:
7 skulls (06-07-2017), CxG (07-06-2017), Harvie1031 (06-07-2017), JDM4E (06-07-2017), Jyn (09-08-2017), Teseo (08-22-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #170
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyluka View Post
Yes it would be an improvement considering it will apparently outperform the Perrin. I am moving from the Cusco cooler (similar to the Forester) to this to avoid overheating the oil on extended track sessions.
See Post #97
To upgrade or not will depend on the type of driving you are doing. If you don't track your car, the XT cooler may be sufficient for your needs.

Thanks for the response. The trouble I was having in my mind was with the science of it all.

--The Forester XT oil cooler cools oil by redistributing the heat to the water cooling system aka the radiator. One possible upgrade is to get a larger radiator to go with this mode. The larger radiator will decrease the coolant drop, and with cooler coolant means there is a great differential in this oil cooler, but that doesn't mean it will be effective. There could be too little surface area at the Forester cooler to see a change from a larger radiator. Also, if the radiator fluid isn't heating as much as the oil, cooling the coolant more through a larger radiator may not even result in changes seen at the coolant like throwing water next to a fire versus on it.

--Traditional oil coolers add surface area for cooling and direct it specifically at the oil like throwing water on a fire.

--For the JR radiator/cooler combo, is it essentially the Forester XT mod with a larger radiator only, or did they increase the radiator fluid to oil fluid exchange surface area, such that it out performs the Forester XT cooler, or does this cooler also have veins in the radiator being directly cooled by air like a traditional oil cooler on top of the fact that there is an oil to coolant exchanger? The Forester XT oil cooler is also behind the radiator, and it is round sitting vertically, so it gets less air to the outside, and in that aspect, the JR setup might have an advantage being placed next to the radiator and being tall and flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2017, 05:42 PM   #171
lazyluka

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Thanks for the response. The trouble I was having in my mind was with the science of it all.
I am not really knowledgeable enough to answer this, I will give it a go tho. I don't have anything to back up what I write so hopefully @Jackson Racing or @CSG Mike can chime in and correct me.

Your first point about the XT cooler not having enough area seems correct. The XT cooler does have only so much surface area to transfer energy. Furthermore, if you look at the coolant tubing going thru the XT cooler you will notice it's limited in how much coolant flows through the oil cooler.

I believe that the JR dual cooler is based on a Laminova core design or something similar. From memory, the Robispec dual cooler used this method as well. So you can think of the JR dual cooler as the laminova combined with a bigger radiator all in one reliable package, which also means you can re-use factory style radiator hoses (or aftermarket silicone ones) and keep your engine bay looking OEMish.

The bigger radiator part will also help and having the oil cooler not mounted to the engine should also help a tiny bit as well.

The laminova core will essentially allow more energy transfer between the coolant and the oil than the XT cooler. A good example is the Ptuning oil cooler which places the laminova core on the outside of the radiator. An old thread regarding Laminova DIY if you wanted a read can be found here.

I am overheating the oil with the Cusco unit and see this as an upgrade, if your oil temperatures are fine with the XT cooler then it may not be worth the extra cost. If you are thinking of going FI in the future you may be better off waiting and then buying the FI oil cooler from JR instead as you may reach this coolers limits.
lazyluka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazyluka For This Useful Post:
CxG (07-06-2017), Irace86.2.0 (06-08-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #172
Bfranklyn86

Drives: GT86 Harrop S/C
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Any update on whether JR will be offering uprated lines with this kit? Or are we happy that failures are so rare that it isn't necessary?

@CSGMike can you comment on this?

Last edited by Bfranklyn86; 07-04-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Bfranklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #173
ArCha

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know roughly how much coolant this requires?
ArCha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:37 PM   #174
Kestrel

Drives: 2015 Ultramarine FR-S AT
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArCha View Post
Does anyone know roughly how much coolant this requires?
I threw 2 jugs of Subaru blue in it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kestrel For This Useful Post:
Teseo (07-19-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #175
BRX

Drives: Toyota GT86
I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. Temps get up to 120-125 here in the afternoon. I had an older scangauge which I used to monitor water temps only and cruising at 90 MPH in this weather gets the water coolant up to 220F without an oil cooler. Now that I installed the Jackson Racing dual radiator and oil cooler, I'm seeing these temps at lighter loads while cruising at 70MPH and about 5-10 degrees higher than before when just driving around town. Now that I upgraded my scangauge I can monitor my oil temps and they never exceed 230F even with spirited driving. This is all street driving with almost no WOT pulls. I just can't get myself to floor it seeing those numbers. BTW I'm running a water/oil cooled GT3076R Turbo. At what water/oil temps should I be worried?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:53 PM   #176
TheMedakaBox
[EUROBEAT INTENSIFIES]

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Steel
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TkTk View Post
In my opinion braided steel lines is the way to go.

I had similar failure using the same lines. Hope Jackson Racing offers braided steel lines as an option for this kit.
What length of 10AN stainless steel braided hoses did you go with your JR Dual Cooler?
Old 08-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #177
ArCha

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
The Aeroquip lines are 14.5in and 17.5in. I just got them done the same length but haven't installed yet.
ArCha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArCha For This Useful Post:
TkTk (08-21-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 01:21 AM   #178
BRX

Here are my braided lines I had custom made.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRX For This Useful Post:
KoreanJesus (12-15-2018), lazyluka (08-22-2017), Reamer (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #179
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRX View Post
Here are my braided lines I had custom made.

Very nice.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #180
Capt Spaulding
Persona Non Grata

Drives: '15 BRZ (WRB)
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,200 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Very nice.
+1
Old 08-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #181
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Those 90deg fittings makes me think if there is not possible more direct/shorter connection :/

Still, having option (optional, if it makes rad set that much more expensive) of more bend reliable lines at order time in my eyes would be very nice feature to see.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:07 PM   #182
BRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Those 90deg fittings makes me think if there is not possible more direct/shorter connection :/

Still, having option (optional, if it makes rad set that much more expensive) of more bend reliable lines at order time in my eyes would be very nice feature to see.
90 degree bends give the most room for a lot of setups including mine. But I suggest doing whatever fits yours best.