follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #71
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I am not the one that does not understand simple math or concepts. This is a public forum and I will post where I wish. Not trolling a thing and will continue to point out asinine statements when they are presented.

I am not sure what my military service or time spent helping people here that actually can understand what is being said have to do with you?
just wait until the new gt86 comes out with the smaller final drive, people will really start complaining lol

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carbonBLUE For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #72
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,814 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songha View Post
160 hours a week leaves an hour and seven and a half minutes of sleep a day.

I feel like our cars should get better gas mileage too, my mom's 2015 accord sport v6 gets better gas mileage than me if you think about displacement.
Welp, Songha, it just don't work that way ......

I have a 90cc motorcycle () that only gets about 100 mpg. Why doesn't it get more ....... since my 2,000 cc FR-S gets 30 mpg ..... ??

But, yes, I do understand where your coming from. Our 3.6 l V-6 sedan gets better gas economy on the highway than our FR-S (if you account for the use or regular vs. premium gas).........so, why don't we drive that car on our long haul trips .......

"Cause mr humfrz don't want it that way" .......
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #73
Songha

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Does the Acord get driven in exactly the same places and in exactly the same manner as your car? If the answer is no then what mileage it gets is totally irrelevant as a comparison.
They're rated the nearly the same as far as stats go and they're both daily driven. I don't get how they can't be compared if a 6 is getting nearly the same mpg stock for stock compared to our 4s, lol.

My gas mileage is only crap when I'm having too much fun.
2013 Scion FR-S | 6-MT | Raven Black | Performance Mods: Invidia N1 Catback, Invidia Catless Frontpipe, BC Racing Extreme Lows Coilovers, 1320 Performance UEL Catless Headers, 1320 Performance Overpipe, OpenFlash Tablet (Stage 2 UEL, 93 Oct. tune), Whiteline Front Swaybar, Whitelight Adj. Front Endlinks | Asthetic Mods: DS Style Front Lip, Rocket Bunny style flares, F1R F21s | MY BUILD THREAD!
Songha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:26 PM   #74
Songha

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Welp, Songha, it just don't work that way ......

I have a 90cc motorcycle () that only gets about 100 mpg. Why doesn't it get more ....... since my 2,000 cc FR-S gets 30 mpg ..... ??

But, yes, I do understand where your coming from. Our 3.6 l V-6 sedan gets better gas economy on the highway than our FR-S (if you account for the use or regular vs. premium gas).........so, why don't we drive that car on our long haul trips .......

"Cause mr humfrz don't want it that way" .......

Yeah. As I read, I start to confuse myself, and forget that my post had no real point to it. Lmao.
2013 Scion FR-S | 6-MT | Raven Black | Performance Mods: Invidia N1 Catback, Invidia Catless Frontpipe, BC Racing Extreme Lows Coilovers, 1320 Performance UEL Catless Headers, 1320 Performance Overpipe, OpenFlash Tablet (Stage 2 UEL, 93 Oct. tune), Whiteline Front Swaybar, Whitelight Adj. Front Endlinks | Asthetic Mods: DS Style Front Lip, Rocket Bunny style flares, F1R F21s | MY BUILD THREAD!
Songha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Songha For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-17-2016), ScoobsMcGee (08-18-2016), Tcoat (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 10:00 PM   #75
Futaba

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Turn off AC for better mileage.
Didn't notice this being mentioned earlier, but it should be a no-brainer.
Futaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:18 PM   #76
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba View Post
Turn off AC for better mileage.
Didn't notice this being mentioned earlier, but it should be a no-brainer.
Strangely enough I notice zero difference with the air on. My milage had been as steady as a rock for two years. I even reset the indicator because I didn't believe it was working.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:18 PM   #77
Futaba

Garage
Quote:
Strangely enough I notice zero difference with the air on. My milage had been as steady as a rock for two years. I even reset the indicator because I didn't believe it was working.
I notice quite a significant drop with the AC on, as its often over 100.f here it&s usually both passenger and drivers side set to "LO" and a notch or two away from full blast, on highway switching on AC makes the predicted MPG drop by 3-5mpg, if on full blast sometimes as much as 7!

Which AC panel unit does your vehicle use, the analog or digital?
The Following User Says Thank You to Futaba For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 11:32 PM   #78
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I notice quite a significant drop with the AC on, as its often over 100.f here it&s usually both passenger and drivers side set to "LO" and a notch or two away from full blast, on highway switching on AC makes the predicted MPG drop by 3-5mpg, if on full blast sometimes as much as 7!

Just have the old school analog. We have had about a month of temps pushing 100 and my AC has been running on 2 or 3 pretty much all the time. My average MPG has not budged off 34 since spring when it came up from the winter average of a horrid 32 MPG. In fact just last week I mentioned to the wife how impressed I was that my milage had not dropped with how much I have run the AC this summer.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:36 PM   #79
Futaba

Garage
Quote:
Just have the old school analog. We have had about a month of temps pushing 100 and my AC has been running on 2 or 3 pretty much all the time. My average MPG has not budged off 34 since spring when it came up from the winter average of a horrid 32 MPG. In fact just last week I mentioned to the wife how impressed I was that my milage had not dropped with how much I have run the AC this summer.
Hmm, how perculiar, mine has the digital panel so i'm not quite sure how the two settings relate, but i definitely notice a change in how quickly the fuel level drops when using AC and when not, even beyond the questimate the cluster readout provides, though im running much wider wheels than stock and often have AC cranked full blast, so that likely plays a role
Old 08-18-2016, 03:03 AM   #80
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Such bad mileage!!

So much rage...& from a Canadian, that's rare.

Our gas mileage is ok I think, but our tiny fuel tank makes you feel like you have to fuel quite often. Another thing is that for our car you wanna drive around 3.5k rpm and just leave it there. I notice my mpg took a good hit after intake & header, but on highway with cruise control on it's near the same as before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #81
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quote:

My experience is the same as @Tcoat. Below is my average MPG by month since May 2012 through today. My AC runs pretty much full on late May through mid Sept in Atlanta. July and October are months I'm most likely to take long road trips in the 86, which accounts for the increased MPG there.
Attached Images

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
everythingsablur (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #82
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
My experience is the same as @Tcoat. Below is my average MPG by month since May 2012 through today. My AC runs pretty much full on late May through mid Sept in Atlanta. July and October are months I'm most likely to take long road trips in the 86, which accounts for the increased MPG there.

I recall reading that there is a point where the additional drag from the windows being open outweighs the pull from the AC. If you do more highway driving it would be more economical to have the AC on, and if you're in the city open windows would come out ahead. I'll have to see if I can dig up the source, so there is a (greater than usual) chance I'm full of it.

ETA:
Article: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...dows-down1.htm
Study: http://www.sae.org/events/aars/prese.../2004-hill.pdf
ScoobsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #83
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Man I still don't understand how people get under 26 mpg avg. I live in a rural area have a catless header, high-flow cat mid-pipe, and catback with a tune and still avg 32 mpg. On the highway I get about 37 mpg cruising at 73 mph, even in the city I don't drop down under about 25 mpg.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brandonblt2 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 12:15 PM   #84
BDKane01

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP MT
I get on average 27-28mpg. I always drive with the A/C on. My communte is 40 miles roundtrip. But, I do have to use my car to go around on the air station.