follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #99
MicheleAbbate

Drives: Grr Racing FRS & BRZ
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to MicheleAbbate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
I won't poo on the fact you guys are working hard, and at least on this platform one of the few doing wheel to wheel. Seem like your facing an uphill battle here do you see this car being competitive enough to get you near the top of class consistently?
Of course we do.

We wouldnt be racing if we didn't think we could win. Obviously there was a slim chance for us to win this event, but taking the checkered flag was an acheivement of its own for me and my team.

The first year in any new chassis is a demanding one. This year we have had many obstacles but the FR-S is a great chassis for the production touring car class. There was a few things we should have done to make the car even lighter, but now we have the time to perfect the car. The engine modifications rules allow for some great NA power, and if we go FI, we can run GT. My focus as the team owner is to learn the car and its set up, and move on from there.

Our uphill battle will only last as long as it takes for us to level out our power to weight ratio. Once we gain the understanding of the best balance, we can focus on other things. I feel with the steps we plan to take, and seeing they are completed, we will be battling for a podium finish by the next race.
DAEMANO (07-07-2014), Lonewolf (07-08-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #100
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Do you have this car's engine specs posted anywhere?
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #101
MicheleAbbate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Do you have this car's engine specs posted anywhere?
It's stock. Airaid intake, berk technology exhaust, jdl headers, and a delicious tuning custom race tune.
DAEMANO (07-08-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #102
MicheleAbbate

Oh we also have a mishimoto oil cooler and radiator
ATL BRZ (07-07-2014), DAEMANO (07-08-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #103
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleAbbate View Post
Of course we do.

We wouldnt be racing if we didn't think we could win. Obviously there was a slim chance for us to win this event, but taking the checkered flag was an acheivement of its own for me and my team.

The first year in any new chassis is a demanding one. This year we have had many obstacles but the FR-S is a great chassis for the production touring car class. There was a few things we should have done to make the car even lighter, but now we have the time to perfect the car. The engine modifications rules allow for some great NA power, and if we go FI, we can run GT. My focus as the team owner is to learn the car and its set up, and move on from there.

Our uphill battle will only last as long as it takes for us to level out our power to weight ratio. Once we gain the understanding of the best balance, we can focus on other things. I feel with the steps we plan to take, and seeing they are completed, we will be battling for a podium finish by the next race.
Is it cheaper and more competitive to go FI and run in GT? Seems like at least in the enthusiest market thats working well for track users but you have classing to worry about.

Also how much testing and tuning can you get in before your events?
Old 07-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #104
MicheleAbbate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Is it cheaper and more competitive to go FI and run in GT? Seems like at least in the enthusiest market thats working well for track users but you have classing to worry about.

Also how much testing and tuning can you get in before your events?
Definitely not cheaper. The GT class is also power to weight ratio and I would be spending a lot more money to get the car competitive in GT, with much less of a field of competitors.

I appreciate and understand the love of FI (so much I don't think i could drive a DD without it), but I also feel that there is a great amount of respect for racers that are racing with vehicles that are more commonly found on the road and in people's garages (i.e. TC, TCA, and TCB classes in world challenge). Minimal engine, chassis, and suspension modifications truly show what a car's capabilities are from its foundation. Trust me, I wouldn't turn down racing a FI car any day of the week, but with experience of driving both car, it is almost more rewarding to win a race based on your consistency of momentum, car handling, and how to be smooth in a slow car, not just using power to cover mistakes.

With all that being said, I am sure some day we will put FI in my FR-S, but I want to enjoy these early stages of the build with the car for what it is - show its potential and test it abilities.

I can get as much testing and tuning as I want. All it takes is money and a race track haha

I do most of my testing at Spring Mountain Motorsports Park in Pahrump, NV. We have a pretty large break right now for testing and tuning. Our next race is not until Sept. 13 and 14th at Miller Motorsports Park
carbonBLUE (09-16-2014), DAEMANO (10-16-2014), Rampage (09-14-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #105
WallsAndFoundations

Drives:
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
I think she was confused. The 10 Series only came in one color I thought, and that color is not red.
I think she meant monogram, as I see the jdm style headlights which do not come with the 10 series..

Either way, Michele it looks great. I wish you the best of luck, super envy your life. Being able to really create the thing you're gonna race in looks like a ton of fun.
WallsAndFoundations is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WallsAndFoundations For This Useful Post:
MicheleAbbate (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #106
Carlos_M

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just read this entire thread and it is awesome! I wish you guys would race on the East coast, I would definitely come and show support. Keep up the great work.
Carlos_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #107
MicheleAbbate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallsAndFoundations View Post
I think she meant monogram, as I see the jdm style headlights which do not come with the 10 series..

Either way, Michele it looks great. I wish you the best of luck, super envy your life. Being able to really create the thing you're gonna race in looks like a ton of fun.

Thanks a lot. I still don't know why the title says 10 series. oh well haha
I appreciate the kind words and support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_M View Post
Just read this entire thread and it is awesome! I wish you guys would race on the East coast, I would definitely come and show support. Keep up the great work.
Thanks a ton. If we ever make it out that way I will keep you posted! Travel is expensive!
Carlos_M (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 12:05 AM   #108
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleAbbate View Post
Definitely not cheaper. The GT class is also power to weight ratio and I would be spending a lot more money to get the car competitive in GT, with much less of a field of competitors.

I appreciate and understand the love of FI (so much I don't think i could drive a DD without it), but I also feel that there is a great amount of respect for racers that are racing with vehicles that are more commonly found on the road and in people's garages (i.e. TC, TCA, and TCB classes in world challenge). Minimal engine, chassis, and suspension modifications truly show what a car's capabilities are from its foundation. Trust me, I wouldn't turn down racing a FI car any day of the week, but with experience of driving both car, it is almost more rewarding to win a race based on your consistency of momentum, car handling, and how to be smooth in a slow car, not just using power to cover mistakes.

With all that being said, I am sure some day we will put FI in my FR-S, but I want to enjoy these early stages of the build with the car for what it is - show its potential and test it abilities.

I can get as much testing and tuning as I want. All it takes is money and a race track haha

I do most of my testing at Spring Mountain Motorsports Park in Pahrump, NV. We have a pretty large break right now for testing and tuning. Our next race is not until Sept. 13 and 14th at Miller Motorsports Park

Racing cars is about as efficient as burning money. However, there is so much joy in seeing hard work pay off, I hope your direction in your class gets you to a place where you learn and eventually see some podiums. Clearly time and money dictate most success but sounds like you have a good team and support. I know part of what you have to do is self promotion and marketing to help keep going but don't forget to keep us in the loop about the technical side of things you learn with the car as you go. Namely mechanical issues or tweaks and any advice on what has worked and not to improve the car's balance. Don't need team secrets but anything that can help the community improve the platform.

Glad your heart is in it and with a bit of luck and your already hard work you should see some good results as the season wears on.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #109
enivid

Drives: WRB JR BRZED
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1410709065116.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  78.0 KB
enivid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enivid For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-16-2014), MicheleAbbate (09-14-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #110
MicheleAbbate

Quote:
Originally Posted by enivid View Post
Thanks for the shot!
Old 09-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #111
enivid

How about this one?
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1410731763290.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  65.0 KB

Last edited by enivid; 09-14-2014 at 06:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to enivid For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-16-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #112
enivid

It was fun watching the races. @zdr93523 and I will be doing the full track next weekend for the PCA. It should be a lot of fun. We both have new goodies on our cars to test out.
The Following User Says Thank You to enivid For This Useful Post:
MicheleAbbate (09-16-2014)