follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
Don Ivey

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
Yep, another old fart here! Agreed though, we are the types you want to buy one off.

So what happened to our "old fart" thread? I'm definitely old (sixty-three), and enjoying my Hot Lava FR-S immensely, alternating driving it with the '87 Porsche. Just saying,
Old 01-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjl86 View Post
I really dont want to deal with the dealerships.
I understand that thought. I never in my life dealt with a Scion dealership before because, except for the FR-S, there's never been anything they've offered that I would give a second thought to. There's no haggling about price so that was not an issue. They gave me what I wanted for trade and that was the end of it. It was the most pleasant new car buying experience I ever had with any dealership. All the b.s. was eliminated. As far as the car being badged a Scion, that was one good thing about it.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ivey View Post
So what happened to our "old fart" thread? I'm definitely old (sixty-three), and enjoying my Hot Lava FR-S immensely, alternating driving it with the '87 Porsche. Just saying,
hot lava! hot "old" fart!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ivey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
I understand that thought. I never in my life dealt with a Scion dealership before because, except for the FR-S, there's never been anything they've offered that I would give a second thought to. There's no haggling about price so that was not an issue. They gave me what I wanted for trade and that was the end of it. It was the most pleasant new car buying experience I ever had with any dealership. All the b.s. was eliminated. As far as the car being badged a Scion, that was one good thing about it.
this is essentially true,however,you can still get into a real "pissin"' contest with 'em
over your trade in! they are no different from any other dealer! they all try to "beat" ya on the money,so ya better "know" what your car is really worth,OR they WILL make more than they should on the deal.they will beat ya up on the trade,AND get the "pure pricing" too!..just sayin'
Old 01-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #19
whaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
this is essentially true,however,you can still get into a real "pissin"' contest with 'em
over your trade in! they are no different from any other dealer! they all try to "beat" ya on the money,so ya better "know" what your car is really worth,OR they WILL make more than they should on the deal.they will beat ya up on the trade,AND get the "pure pricing" too!..just sayin'

True. I'm sure a lot has to do with the integrity of the individual you're dealing with. I guess I got lucky.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #20
jmaryt
Banned

either that,OR you "knew" how much your property was worth,and you
got tough with them,and they relented to "score" the sale! it's good to keep in mind
that they are NOT in business to "store" cars,so to speak,as they cannot make money that way,AND they "need" to move inventory to get more allocation,so you really do have room for negotiation,especially if they "know" you WILL buy the car! even though they realize "zero" extra money from a cash sale (no kickback from bank financing),presenting "cash" in a large brown envelope has a remarkable affect,and will solidify
your position as a serious buyer. cash is still king!..just sayin'
Old 01-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #21
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
you can still get into a real "pissin"' contest with 'em
over your trade in!
There still isn't really much haggling over trade ins at most new car dealers. Maybe it was because I was trading in a Lexus at a toyota dealer, but after checking it out, they knew exactly how much it was worth and gave me roughly the value from places like KBB and Edmunds. That combined with the Pure Price thing made it a pretty easy experience.

And trading in is so much easier than selling privately.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #22
m.box.design

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Thanked 1,662 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Might as well get a new one, especially if this is not your preferred color choice. You don't want to dump a chunk of change on something that already has some issues.
m.box.design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #23
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
True. I'm sure a lot has to do with the integrity of the individual you're dealing with. I guess I got lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
There still isn't really much haggling over trade ins at most new car dealers. Maybe it was because I was trading in a Lexus at a toyota dealer, but after checking it out, they knew exactly how much it was worth and gave me roughly the value from places like KBB and Edmunds. That combined with the Pure Price thing made it a pretty easy experience.

And trading in is so much easier than selling privately.
trading in IS much easier than selling privately,but you will get more for your car IF you can sell it yourself!.it depends on WHAT you have for a trade in! always remember what they offer you for your car ,may,or may not be what the vehicle is actually worth! they will,in MOST cases offer you less than what that final number truly is,so it's in your "best" interests to know what it '"can" be sold for,and try to get close to that.if the dealer really wants your car,THEY will know what that number really is,BUT you have to know what it is too,and try to effect a "compromize" to get full value,IF you are trading the car in. kbb ,and edmunds offer what the car "'should " be worth,(based on condition) BUT there are variables,,and condition,AND demand can skew the numbers,so,in the final analysis,it depends on what someone is willing to pay for the car that really determines it's TRUE value. just sayin'
Old 01-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #24
IloveBaldEagles

Drives: Gray.
Thanked 2,086 Times in 995 Posts
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Go used if the car has the 7 year 100,000 mile warranty. CYA. Buying a '13 used this early is a bad and risky idea IMO.
IloveBaldEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #25
whaap

Quote:
trading in IS much easier than selling privately,but you will get more for your car IF you can sell it yourself!.it depends on WHAT you have for a trade in! always remember what they offer you for your car ,may,or may not be what the vehicle is actually worth! they will,in MOST cases offer you less than what that final number truly is,so it's in your "best" interests to know what it '"can" be sold for,and try to get close to that.if the dealer really wants your car,THEY will know what that number really is,BUT you have to know what it is too,and try to effect a "compromize" to get full value,IF you are trading the car in. kbb ,and edmunds offer what the car "'should " be worth,(based on condition) BUT there are variables,,and condition,AND demand can skew the numbers,so,in the final analysis,it depends on what someone is willing to pay for the car that really determines it's TRUE value. just sayin'
Another thought. Perhaps since they sell for a fixed, window sticker price and you can't negotiate them down to the bare bones they can give you a more realistic allowance for your trade in as they've already made a fair and reasonable profit off the price of their new car and they don't have to make up as much off the sale of your trade in.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #26
terrypm
First86 & burning gas!!

Drives: Asphalt 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
You need to go to a local dealer and price a new one. The sticker will be around $25K with no options, more if they added BeSpoke, tint, 3M film, vin etching or some other Mickey Mouse extras. Most dealers I have dealt with add a document fee of between $199 and $499. Then add in your sales tax 8-9%.

With used you are paying $22.5K plus tax. New you will pay $26K?? plus tax. You would save $250+ just on sales tax plus the $3.5K price difference. In a couple of years there will be virtually no price difference on your car whichever decision you make, used vs new.

Do not be afraid of an early production car. I have had mine almost 8 months with no problems.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #27
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If you can't get an FR-S for MSRP, it would be worth a drive to find a car in a more eastern state. In MA, you can have your choice of FR-S' right now at MSRP. That's probably true in states closer to CA.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #28
jmaryt
Banned

Quote:
Another thought. Perhaps since they sell for a fixed, window sticker price and you can't negotiate them down to the bare bones they can give you a more realistic allowance for your trade in as they've already made a fair and reasonable profit off the price of their new car and they don't have to make up as much off the sale of your trade in.
this is very true! sometimes one can get an "over allowance" on the trade
but only IF you are sure what your car is really worth! you can bet your a** they do,and they also got it "nailed" as to WHAT they can flip your car for as well!. it's a little mind game,so to speak,however to emphasize,YOU must "know" what your property is truly worth to play.the trick is to get close to what YOU want to let it go for,and then start doin' the "back and forth" with the "sales manager" NOT the salesman,as he is out of the picture now.you are dealin' with the money man now.if they still won't give ya what you want,and you are close,get pissed off,and WALK OUT! 9 out of 10 times they will call you back,THEN produce the "wad" of foldin' green,and tell 'em i want to buy the car today for the ''correct" trade in money,AND the difference in "cash" get ready to enjoy your new frs!