follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-08-2019, 03:50 PM   #15
nico_rsx

Drives: BRZ 2017 Pure Red, MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Off topic: why do they call the coolant heat exchangers radiators?

The Forester OEM thingie works more like a heat exchanger radiating coolant temp to the oil, whereas the cars "radiator" works via convection not thermal radiation.....

Should we call the Forester OEM heat exchanger a radiator?

And the radiator a heat sink?

Anyway, that's way to much thinking for 2225h, good night.

Actually radiators don't work using convection. The forced air across it may make it seems like it, but it's actually a mix of radiation and conduction, not convection. To have convection the transfer of heat must be because of the molecules changing of location. Like hot air that rise. The principle by which the radiator transfer heat to the air is not convection, because the steel/aluminium molecules are not moving or changing location. They are radiating and conducting heat to the air around it. It you open the hood, the rush of hot air you feel, is convection.
nico_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nico_rsx For This Useful Post:
sroby (03-27-2020), Tristor (08-01-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #16
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
GReddy has option parts available (they make a kit for the FRS/BRZ): http://www.greddy.com/products/ic-oil-rad/oil-blocks/

Blitz as well, but harder to source: https://www.blitz.co.jp/new-product/oilcooler_parts.pdf

Both have thermostats built into the oil adapter block.

I have the Blitz kit on my car, and it comes with a pretty tall stand-off plate and adapter bolt. If you bought the kit complete, I don't see an issue with using the forester plate instead of the sandwich plate (just ensure width compatibility because the oil adapter plate seals with an o-ring sitting on top. https://www.blitz.co.jp/support/manu...0275_86brz.pdf

----

Option parts photos show pretty short adapter bolts, but if the forester oil cooler has its own bolt, you might not need a long one.

Blitz Oil Cooler adapter bolt uses the same thread female (bottom) and male (top): same as OE filter thread

GReddy Oil Cooler adapter bolt uses OE Filter thread female (bottom), Greddy filter thread male (top)

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 02-08-2019 at 05:07 PM.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
sroby (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #17
sroby

Drives: 2015 Firestorm 08/05/15
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thx so much for the valuable info group. Steve
sroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:19 PM   #18
sroby

Mode good to hear from you partner, I am going to track it several times this year. I知 back N/a now. I sold the supercharger. I知 going to use this upcoming season to focus and learn to drive this platform. Then in the fall I知 going back FI. So I知 just getting more supporting mods together along the way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sroby For This Useful Post:
Kodename47 (02-10-2019), weederr33 (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #19
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroby View Post
Mode good to hear from you partner, I am going to track it several times this year. I知 back N/a now. I sold the supercharger. I知 going to use this upcoming season to focus and learn to drive this platform. Then in the fall I知 going back FI. So I知 just getting more supporting mods together along the way.
Another thing that might help vent the heat out (at least superficially) would be to get a hold of the Beatrush vented under panel.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #20
sroby

Thanks again everybody. I am already running the forrester set up I did the complete hard pipe , cut and rewelded the strait reward coolant pipe. It operates as advertised. I did the install when i did my supercharger install 2 yrs ago. I致e seen the mocal none thermostatic plate used in conjunction with the forrester set up, but getting all the intel I can. Probably gonna go back turbo.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #21
MoarGeesPlease

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have had the Forester oil cooler installed for about 4 years now and am in the process of adding to or replacing it with the Greddy oil cooler. I would say I don't see a good technical argument for having to remove the Forester one to install an air-air oil cooler like Greddy/Blitz, but am having clearance issues.

I test fit the sandwich filters stacked on top of one another and found it won't comfortably clear the hood with all parts attached, see photos. (Note: the photos doesn't show Greddy's additional adapter for temp/pressure connections that adds another 1.5 - 2 inches of height, and the hood isn't fully closed in the second one).

I'm going to see if I can remove the lower spacer with the Greddy kit and make it work that way, but it still doesn't look like there's enough headroom to work with and the Greddy sandwich may not clear the "bowl lip" of the top of Forester oil cooler either.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

13 BRZ -
03.5 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
97 Acura Integra LS - R.I.P.
MoarGeesPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoarGeesPlease For This Useful Post:
sroby (03-27-2020)
Old 08-01-2019, 09:49 AM   #22
MoarGeesPlease

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have had the Forester oil cooler installed for about 4 years now and am in the process of adding to or replacing it with the Greddy oil cooler. I would say I don't see a good technical argument for having to remove the Forester one to install an air-air oil cooler like Greddy/Blitz, but am having clearance issues.

I test fit the sandwich filters stacked on top of one another and found it won't comfortably clear the hood with all parts attached, see photos. (Note: the photos doesn't show Greddy's additional adapter for temp/pressure connections that adds another 1.5 - 2 inches of height, and the hood isn't fully closed in the second one).

I'm going to see if I can remove the lower spacer with the Greddy kit and make it work that way, but it still doesn't look like there's enough headroom to work with and the Greddy sandwich may not clear the "bowl lip" of the top of Forester oil cooler either.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

13 BRZ -
03.5 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
97 Acura Integra LS - R.I.P.
MoarGeesPlease is offline   Reply With Quote