follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2018, 02:22 AM   #15
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,814 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Meh
It's all hooked into the lightweight pulley thing - it's all about rotating mass or lack thereof.

Like back in the day, when we would roll in the window wings, to reduce drag and turn on the heater, to help cool the engine, before the 1/4 mile drag on the country road …

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (07-21-2018), x808drifter (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 02:33 AM   #16
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Meh
Agreed
Old 07-21-2018, 02:36 AM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
It's all hooked into the lightweight pulley thing - it's all about rotating mass or lack thereof.

Like back in the day, when we would roll in the window wings, to reduce drag and turn on the heater, to help cool the engine, before the 1/4 mile drag on the country road …

humfrz
LOL
OK hands up everybody that ever had to turn the heater on in the middle of summer to cool the car. I probably did it several hundred times.
ermax (07-21-2018), humfrz (07-21-2018), Strife26 (07-21-2018), x808drifter (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 02:38 AM   #18
humfrz

Quote:
Meh
I have done the light weight flywheel before on other cars. The slight ability to shift marginally quicker was very soon outweighed by the unconvince caused in daily driving. Great for a race car where split second shifts make a difference but not practical for a street car where idling is important.
NOW, you finished your paragraph. All I got before and was responding to was "Meh".

About quick shifting, when I'm in my FR-S and pitted against the soccer mom, on her cell phone, in a minivan full of kids, I NEED all the shifting speed I can get to beat her to the next light ..

I remember back in the day, I had this old Chevrolet that had a vacuum assisted shift - which was smooth as silk, if you weren't in a hurry to shift.

I decided that I needed to shift quicker when I was drag racing. So, just before this big race, one rainy night, against a flathead V-8 Ford, I pulled the hose on the shift assist vacuum can. NOW, the engine had ALL the vacuum to itself, but the distributor advance got all confused and the vacuum windshield wipers wouldn't work … but, man I could shift quick.

Where did @Ultramaroon run off to tonight, he must be on a heavy date???

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (07-22-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 02:52 AM   #19
Tcoat

Quote:
NOW, you finished your paragraph. All I got before and was responding to was "Meh".

About quick shifting, when I'm in my FR-S and pitted against the soccer mom, on her cell phone, in a minivan full of kids, I NEED all the shifting speed I can get to beat her to the next light ..

I remember back in the day, I had this old Chevrolet that had a vacuum assisted shift - which was smooth as silk, if you weren't in a hurry to shift.

I decided that I needed to shift quicker when I was drag racing. So, just before this big race, one rainy night, against a flathead V-8 Ford, I pulled the hose on the shift assist vacuum can. NOW, the engine had ALL the vacuum to itself, but the distributor advance got all confused and the vacuum windshield wipers wouldn't work … but, man I could shift quick.

Where did @Ultramaroon run off to tonight, he must be on a heavy date???

humfrz
I hit submit by accident. It is summer. A weekend. I am on phone. I screw up. A lot.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OeKSnTxaE74[/ame]
humfrz (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 02:53 AM   #20
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
LOL
OK hands up everybody that ever had to turn the heater on in the middle of summer to cool the car. I probably did it several hundred times.
Oh yeah. Many many times.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:55 AM   #21
humfrz

Quote:
LOL
Yep, guilty ..

Now, for you young-ens who never had to do that, the added heat inside the car wasn't actually all that noticeable. Why? Because, we didn't come out of an airconditioned house and our cars weren't air conditioned, and it was 90 degrees outside with 85% humidity and we had worked in a hot hay loft all day with unsteady flooring and a tin roof, with hay chaff down our back and nothing to eat all day except peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, washed down with lukewarm water from a gallon glass jug.

Any of you old timers want to add anything ….

humfrz
Old 07-21-2018, 03:06 AM   #22
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well, to help you out, allow me to quote the above post from @nikitopo :

"I was reading lately the details of the STI RA-R in Japan and one of the important things is to keep the balance and smoothness of the rotating components. For example, the flywheel & clutch cover were selected to have a 50% reduction in tolerance on rotational balance. So, whatever clutch and flywheel you choose it is quite important to get balanced in a professional shop. This is even more important with a lightweight flywheel, since you'll have to compensate with less weight all the tolerances of the other rotational components ...

Source: https://www.subaru.jp/wrx/ra-r/driving/powerunit.html"

Now, after reading that and reviewing the reference he made, if you have any further questions, I refer you to ol @Ultramaroon ,our resident clutch expert.

humfrz
Quote:
Meh
I have done the light weight flywheel before on other cars. The slight ability to shift marginally quicker was very soon outweighed by the unconvince caused in daily driving. Great for a race car where split second shifts make a difference but not practical for a street car where idling is important.
I would never change the flywheel to a lightened one on a daily driver either. Such mods are to extract the last few gains from the engine without going FI.

However, my post above wasn't really about lightweight flywheels, but increasing in general the smoothness of such components. It looks that the tolerance on the balance of them are on the (mass-produced) cars pretty high and Subaru reduced the tolerance for the RA-R components. This means that the engine is revving more smoothly. They posted a graph that shows less vibration and noise, but I have no idea what are the actual gains from this:

Google translation says the following:

"Balanced BOXER with a high rotational balance, it is easy to go comfortably around the rev limit with an elaborate engine rotation feel, and to keep a higher rotation."

As a side note my Toda flywheel & clutch kit was balanced from the vendor. Here is the balancer for this process:

I am not sure how Subaru did it for the RA-R.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-21-2018), Tcoat (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 03:14 AM   #23
Tcoat

Quote:
Yep, guilty ..

Now, for you young-ens who never had to do that, the added heat inside the car wasn't actually all that noticeable. Why? Because, we didn't come out of an airconditioned house and our cars weren't air conditioned, and it was 90 degrees outside with 85% humidity and we had worked in a hot hay loft all day with unsteady flooring and a tin roof, with hay chaff down our back and nothing to eat all day except peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, washed down with lukewarm water from a gallon glass jug.

Any of you old timers want to add anything ….

humfrz
I will add that since there was no ECU to turn fans on and off and it was directly driven by the engine it would provide loads of heat transfer during high revs and almost none a idle. The temperature gauge could go up and down by 50 degrees in a few minute drive. It never cooled quite enough in hot weather and cooled far to much cold so blocking the rad with cardboard in winter was normal. Now people want to under drive the pullies to save a tenth of a percent of a horse power and say they made huge gains but back then we just worked around it knowing that it was what it was The same thing applies to light weight flywheels. You are just compromising one benefit for a few drawbacks. It may work but is it really what is best?
humfrz (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 03:21 AM   #24
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I would never change the flywheel to a lightened one on a daily driver either. Such mods are to extract the last few gains from the engine without going FI.

However, my post above wasn't really about lightweight flywheels, but increasing in general the smoothness of such components. It looks that the tolerance on the balance of them are on the (mass-produced) cars pretty high and Subaru reduced the tolerance for the RA-R components. This means that the engine is revving more smoothly. They posted a graph that shows less vibration and noise, but I have no idea what are the actual gains from this:

Google translation says the following:

"Balanced BOXER with a high rotational balance, it is easy to go comfortably around the rev limit with an elaborate engine rotation feel, and to keep a higher rotation."

As a side note my Toda flywheel & clutch kit was balanced from the vendor. Here is the balancer for this process:

I am not sure how Subaru did it for the RA-R.
This ^.

There is always a trade off someplace. If unsure what you are giving up then tread softly before changing.
humfrz (07-21-2018), nikitopo (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 06:28 AM   #25
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Clutch Suggestions

Quote:
Yes but it does not tell me what the comparison is supposed to show. He appears to be just sitting there reving the car to random numbers.

Dramatic difference in rate at which revs climb and fall with the LW FW. Watch the video closely. Stock is taking about 4 secs to drop from 4K back to idle. The LW one takes about two for drop from 4K to idle.

So much hatred around here for LW FWs. I’ve had them on all my cars and never found them difficult on a daily driver. I’ve read similar complaints on most car forums. Some times I wonder if the people saying they’ve had them and didn’t like them actually even had them.

I will also add the it has little to do with improving acceleration. It doesn’t need to be the last item to mod for that’s last little bit. It’s more about shifting and rev matching than accelerating.

Last edited by ermax; 07-21-2018 at 08:01 AM.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #26
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
So much hatred around here for LW FWs.
I get that "so much hatred" is a popular phrase but it really doesn't apply here. Yes, it's a fun feels mod but there are down sides. We've mentioned them. I like having a nice stock 650 RPM idle. I like being able to toss my keys to anyone without having to conduct a pre-drive briefing.

A LWFW is quite a commitment. In the last few years since joining this forum I've been surprised to learn that most enthusiasts do not do their own heavy work. You and I are in the minority. I feel we have a responsibility to discuss these issues openly. That's all.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #27
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
In my personal experience so far, the flywheel isn't bad at all. I felt like it helped the car a lot. The only downside for me so far is the chatter.

That video was to compare the rpm drop in relation to stock. Night and day difference. Could have been a better video. I was on oft back then so the Rev limiter was set and stuck. It would have been better with ecutek since I can still Rev to full.

I didnt personally turn the heater on (I've tried in the brz but pointless and ya that ac is too good here where it's 100-110 all summer), but my dad has when I was a kid. I knew the trick at least.

I've had the clutch for a good 10 miles maybe and turbo for a couple thousand, so far the car is still behaving normal. Hopefully it continues to do so.

In cabin sounds if anyone cares to hear it, be warned the camera isn't great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Strife26 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #28
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post

In cabin sounds if anyone cares to hear it, be warned the camera isn't great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Welp,

* how do you stand that air freshener thing flipping around?

* you need a shave

* you are too old to be wearing a muscle shirt

humfrz - jest ah messen wich ya

Actually, your setup is quieter than I would have thought