follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #29
Heat Sinker

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lol Houston isnt bad just live on the West or northish west side

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Heat Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #30
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
lived at SA for a while (absolutely hated that place) but left to go back to FL.

I'm gonna be in Dallas in July and seems like the place is decent. Lots of things to do, food, etc.

I'm gonna be in DFW/Irving which I hear is a bit more upscale so here's to hoping the place is great :P
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #31
mx5 2nr

Drives: FRS/NA1/'12 Mustang/'97 4Runner
Ha!
I grew up in Dallas (and lived there for about 30 years ~2006), parents still live in Richardson; moved to San Antonio & lived there for ~7 years & now I'm in Kyle (arguably far, faaar South Austin).

My quick take - Dallas (including suburbs) is definitely more mainstream, Austin is definitely more independent. The quality of life in Austin (meaning healthy lifestyle) is far better than Dallas. However, if you appreciate shopping at expensive boutiques, you will like Dallas more. You are more likely to eat at a chain restaurant in Dallas; in Austin you are more likely to eat at a vegan soy fusion food truck (and like it). Driving in either city (traffic-wise) sucks, but there's probably a little less traffic frustration in Dallas. The "smoothness" of the roads are probably better in Dallas, but the "driving roads" are so much better in Austin - so much better in Austin, it's not even close. There's stuff to do in either city - the museums/zoo in Dallas are far better than Austin, but the live music scene/festivals are seriously top notch in Austin. Dallas (Ft. Worth really) has a NASCAR track, Austin has a F1 track. Real estate in either city is getting out of hand right now, but it's getting (been for a few years now) especially crazy in Austin.

I don't think you could really go wrong in either city, go where you have the best opportunity for career growth.

As far as San Antonio... It's cheap, and there's some decent pockets in that city, and there's some really nice people there... but overall.... My wife & I could not be more happy to be out of that place!
'12 Mustang - wife's
mx5 2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mx5 2nr For This Useful Post:
covance (04-04-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #32
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
Where are you driving? Every road I've been in in Dallas proper has been shit. Austin has not been so bad.
Where are you driving? 75, 635, and 35?
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:00 PM   #33
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Quote:
Originally Posted by MokSpeed View Post
Where are you driving? 75, 635, and 35?
yeah, mostly the highways and any time I've been downtown Dallas for convention centers/shows.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #34
ZX88

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Austin is great, music festivals, lots of out door stuff, lots of good food. Rent is reasonable if your are a little bit north or south of the city. If your renting and dont like long commutes then look near where your working no joke i live less than 10 miles from my job and it takes about 30min to get there. Housing can still be found at an ok price within 10 miles of downtown, but things move fast in popular areas. Lots of new construction.

Vibe in austin, South Austin is more traditional austin, fun, quirky, lots of stuff to do. North of the city is more new development were lots of large companies have moved there offices. Still stuff to do but imo doesnt have the austin vibe.

My experiences with Dallas is that it is more true Texas, Dallas you see more conservative people and experiences, high end shopping and dinning etc.
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #35
covance

Drives: 2015 BRZ series.blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat Sinker View Post

DC things are about to get alot less expensive

What do you mean?
covance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:48 PM   #36
Heat Sinker

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Have a good friend that moved to D.C. and he constantly complains about the increased cost of living up there

Heat Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:10 PM   #37
covance

Drives: 2015 BRZ series.blue
Ohh as in get less expensive when we move. Yes definitely. And no income tax 😍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
covance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #38
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
yeah, mostly the highways and any time I've been downtown Dallas for convention centers/shows.
That's probably why.

It's safe to assume almost any "downtown" region basically sucks ass to drive in. The same could be said of Austin, but that doesn't take away from the amazing roads Austin and even Round Rock still offers. Same with DFW.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:55 PM   #39
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Quote:
Originally Posted by MokSpeed View Post
That's probably why.

It's safe to assume almost any "downtown" region basically sucks ass to drive in. The same could be said of Austin, but that doesn't take away from the amazing roads Austin and even Round Rock still offers. Same with DFW.
the highways have sucked for me in DFW too - construction or just giant potholes/bumps.

The traffic on I-35 sucks in Austin, but the road itself isn't too bad for static cars.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:08 AM   #40
pleong

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
i guess it all depends on your lifestyle and what you're looking for. Both cities are great in my opinion. Both has it's pros and cons. Dallas definitely has more uppity people and is known to be the LA of the midwest. Austin is very relaxed and has more of a "hippie" vibe.

As far as work life balance, that's really dependent on the company. I work and live in Dallas and I've been at companies where I've had horrible work/life balance. I used to work the same amount of hours you do in the east. But now I work a straight 40 hours at my day job.

If you end up in Uptown Dallas, be prepared for traffic at night on weekends. The bars get pretty crowded and crazy down there.

As far as the roads, overall I think both cities has it's good and bad.. I've seen the roads in Austin and some can be really bad. I've seen roads in Dallas and they're just as bad as Austin. It really all depends on where you go in each city.

TEAM NEMESIS | NEM 86 | IG: @NEM_86
PTE5858 Turbo | Integrated Engineering Fuel Surge Tank | 1300cc Injectors | Exedy Twin Disc | RAYS Volk ZE40 | 295/30/18 | 522whp @ 6,600 Dyno Dynamics
The NEM86 Build Thread
pleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:11 PM   #41
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
both cool for different reasons. collin county is almost featurelss & flat, where driving around roads of austin can be cool due to elevation change. far north suburbs of dallas all look the same cookie cutter, but with so much money attracted to the area you never need to leave the suburbia bubble for dining, shopping "some" entertainment. dallas (DFW) in general has a more robust interstate systems with tons of maintained tolling, but is sooo spread out from one extreme corner to the opposite corner of the metro plex. dallas has more robust mass transit in the train system. we actually get winter a bit further north.

austin has a cooler vibe, but can be a bit pricier to live overall due to all the high degrees and technology. the areas west of the city are fun to drive. austin kills in the live music routine, but at times dallas being major metro gets national acts that never see any further south. but dependent your tastes and austins quirky nature, artists may never the other cities. austin gets hot af but with the rivers not far away everyone cools off there..
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bababooey For This Useful Post:
covance (04-15-2016)