follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Using OEM Mic for Aftermarket Radio AND/OR Replacing OEM Mic with Aftermarket Mic

So basically this DIY will accomplish 2 things

1) Retain your BT mic with an aftermarket radio (i.e. eliminate the need to run a new mic)

or

2) Replace your factory BT mic with an aftermarket mic for improved sound quality

Here's the factory mic, pulled down.

The wires you see are the left audio channel, right audio channel and ground. Yes, the OEM configuration is a stereo mic, not a mono mic...none of this matters.

1) Retain your BT mic with an aftermarket radio (i.e. eliminate the need to run a new mic)

In order to use the factory mic with an aftermarket unit you'll need an auxiliary cable, such as this one.

You'll want to cut one end off to reveal something that looks like this:

You'll want to solder the ends to some wire, I used wire that was the same color as the factory mic. The ground is the shielding and as far as getting the left and right channel correct, well it's a mic so it doesn't matter. Make sure you shrink wrap the wires and wrap them in electrical tape. It's not so much about electrical safety as it is preventing noise.

Now, here's where I don't have pics and it gets a little tricky.

Somewhere along the path from the mic, to behind the radio, where you'll ultimately connect the wires, the white wire from the mic, turns into black and the black wire turns into white. You will want to have your digital multi meter set to continuity so make sure you're tapping into the correct wires. The red/white/black wires you'll want to tap into are in the same plug as the vehicle speed sense wire, which is pink with a green stripe.

Once you have those tapped, you'll plug your auxiliary cable into your aftermarket head unit or if your bluetooth mic input on your aftermarket headunit needs a 2.5mm connection, use an adapter to take the 3.5 down to 2.5.

That's it! Your OEM mic is now your aftermarket mic.

After using the factory mic with my aftermarket unit, I realized how much the factory mic really sucks. I saw some posts on the forum discussing how the OEM mic was superior due to it being sealed in it's location, which is rubbish. Pull down your OEM mic and look at your headliner. There's no cushion or insulation, it's bare metal. So while using the OEM mic may work well for some, I ultimately decided to replace it. However, I have extreme OCD and I like the factory look. So I did not want another mic mounter anywhere other than the factory location. Here's how I accomplished that...

2) Replace your factory BT mic with an aftermarket mic for improved sound quality

Once you pull down the factory bluetooth mic you'll notice 2 tabs on each side, securing it to the housing. Simply push those tabs and the factory mic will release (no pics of this). You'll then take the OEM mic and push it up into the headliner. Afterall, if you ever go back to your OEM radio, you may want to use that mic, I don't know why but you might.

Now that you have your housing out, you'll want to position your aftermarket mic. I decided to go with a Pioneer mono aftermarket mic for mine.

Next, I took the mic housing and lined it with some thin pieces of weather stripping. The reason why is that the factory mic is square, but the aftermarket mics are circular. I wanted to give the mic some type of gasket and provide a clear channel to the mic.

I lined two sides with weather stripping. I placed the mic in the middle of the housing. I then lined the remaining sides with weather stripping. I then carefully placed a few dabs of hot glue on the sides of the housing to hold the mic securely but not to enter any of the noise canceling openings of the mic.

I then ran the wire for the mic down the passenger side and behind the radio to be plugged in.

The end result looks like this:

If you wanted to use an aftermarket mic for the factory head unit, then you'd purchase an aftermarket mic, cut the adapter off, do the same type of fitment as above and wire the mic (ground, left & right) directly into the factory mic connections either behind the radio or at the mic.

Voila! Done!

As an added bonus, not only does it look completely factory but it's completely reversible. If you want to go back to the OEM mic in the OEM housing, simply take a metal pick tool to pry away the glue, lift the mic out of the housing and press the OEM mic back in place.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ecko04 For This Useful Post:
BatStig (07-07-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Really a need to post this in
Multiple places at the same time? If you're calling it a DIY you should probably tell them how to connect the left and right audio properly including pics as well as provide some evidence that the mic you have chosen has surpassed OEM spec. I know for a fact that the majority of aftermarket mics are junk.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
ecko04
Seems Legit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
Really a need to post this in
Multiple places at the same time? If you're calling it a DIY you should probably tell them how to connect the left and right audio properly including pics as well as provide some evidence that the mic you have chosen has surpassed OEM spec. I know for a fact that the majority of aftermarket mics are junk.
Yes, there was a need. There wasn't a single place where the info should be and there were numerous threads on the tipic where people were asking the same question. I wanted to link them to the same 2 places.

There's no need to post "how" to connect left and right channels for a mic. It's a mic and audio doesn't need to balance for a mic. So even if they are reversed, it will not make a difference. If a mono mic is used, then it certainly won't matter. If the channels are reversed and you want them correct, which you won't know unless you balance the audio during a phone call, swap the wires over before placing the unit back...problem solved...it isn't rocket science. The biggest thing I wanted to get across was the change in color of the ground wire; other than that, nothing else matters.

I didn't take pics every step of the way and I'm not pulling it back out until next week when I have time.

I'm an MECP Master with a couple of degrees in computer & electrical engineering.

All mics aren't created equal and by no means is the Pioneer mic the absolute best on the market. My purpose was not to start a debate about which mic was the best. There are numerous threads of people having issues with their factory mic, this is a solution. The same is true of aftermarket mics, this is a solution. Threads exist about the placement of aftermarket mics with an aftermarket headunit, this is a solution.

If you don't like what I'm posting or feel it is unnecessary, tell a moderator. I posted this at the request of forum members, not to appease you in particular.

Last edited by ecko04; 05-10-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
pjinmaui

Drives: '13 SUBARU BRZ LMTD '95 DEL SOL Si
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the info, any chance someone makes a plug n'play mic that we can just unplug the factory mic and plug in the aftermarket one? I don't want to cut wires if at all possible! Thanks, Ryan
pjinmaui is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pjinmaui For This Useful Post:
ts87 (01-18-2014)
Old 05-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
ecko04
Seems Legit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinmaui View Post
Thanks for the info, any chance someone makes a plug n'play mic that we can just unplug the factory mic and plug in the aftermarket one? I don't want to cut wires if at all possible! Thanks, Ryan
Thanks Ryan!

I don't think there's a plug and play solution yet.

Also, you're not cutting ANY OEM WIRES. You splice into them but you don't cut anything. I don't like cutting off connectors for anything because if you ever want to go back to OEM, you would rather have everything already there.

I couldn't get my hand to the connector plug that you see in the 2nd pic to unplug it.

Now, a plug and play solution could possibly work but I would need a few things:

1) To see that type of connector that is in the first 2 pics
2) Then I would need to order another bluetooth mic housing
3) Order an aftermarket bluetooth mic

Once I have those parts I could then:

Fabricate a solution that would then be plug and play for the OEM radio and eliminate the need to remove the radio to replace the mic. Basically, you'll have an aftermarket mic in the OEM housing with a connector just like the factory mic. You unplug the factory mic, plug in the new one and you're set to go.

If you want me to do it, I wouldn't mind...I just have a couple other things on my agenda before I can get around to this.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #6
DIF

Drives: FR-S in Firestorm, Katzkin, alpine
Ekco, you don't identify which of the three OEM wires are which. You mention them but you don't identify the colors. So is the black which turns into white the ground? Which would mean in the end the black and the red are your right and left?

Thanks in advance.
DIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:22 AM   #7
ldam

Drives:
Can anyone reupload the pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ldam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #8
willimusk

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP CWP
Is it me or did no pics appear in the original post?
willimusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #9
ldam

Drives:
can't seem to see it
ldam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:28 PM   #10
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willimusk View Post
Is it me or did no pics appear in the original post?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldam View Post
can't seem to see it
You do realize that the original post is 5 years old, right?
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCtoBRZ For This Useful Post:
willimusk (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #11
willimusk

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
You do realize that the original post is 5 years old, right?
D'Oh!
willimusk is offline   Reply With Quote