follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
Pneub

Drives: Dark Grey BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
General boosting question

I'm currently running the HKS Supercharger kit w/ new fuel pump, 700cc injectors, oil cooler, and I'm pushing about 8.5-9psi. The shop who has been doing most of my work says it is safe to push it to about 12psi on my stock internals. I believe they know their stuff but I wanted to hear what you guys might have to say about that. I'm not on here enough to browse all the threads of all the different setups people are pushing and how much boost they have going safely through their system. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:52 AM   #2
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pneub View Post
I'm currently running the HKS Supercharger kit w/ new fuel pump, 700cc injectors, oil cooler, and I'm pushing about 8.5-9psi. The shop who has been doing most of my work says it is safe to push it to about 12psi on my stock internals. I believe they know their stuff but I wanted to hear what you guys might have to say about that. I'm not on here enough to browse all the threads of all the different setups people are pushing and how much boost they have going safely through their system. Any feedback is appreciated.
on e85 ? any day
on 91 ? hmmm
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
Pneub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
on e85 ? any day
on 91 ? hmmm
This is on 91. Definitely have not converted to E85 yet and not really in the plans for awhile.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #4
tech4pdx
Make love

Drives: H8R.. Not really
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Whoever is doing your tune (I HIGHLY recommend a local tuner) is who you should be talking to. Nobody on the internet is going to back you up if something goes wrong. With that said, I'm using 100% methanol injection on a 11.5-12 psi Innovate kit with 92 octane fuel and all has been well. This is a street car.
tech4pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #5
Pneub

I've talked to them and I have faith in them. It's Evasive Motorsports and their reputation is high and their work to date has been stellar. But I'm no more prepared to take their advice point blank than I am any one response on here. Regardless of the outcome if I blow my motor I'm responsible and not Evasive or anybody else. So the more input from the more knowledgeable people on here that I have the better I can make my choice to change the pulley or not.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:40 AM   #6
SmsAlSuwaidi
Boosted

Drives: Not a supra....yet
Thanked 1,203 Times in 812 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've talked to them and I have faith in them. It's Evasive Motorsports and their reputation is high and their work to date has been stellar. But I'm no more prepared to take their advice point blank than I am any one response on here. Regardless of the outcome if I blow my motor I'm responsible and not Evasive or anybody else. So the more input from the more knowledgeable people on here that I have the better I can make my choice to change the pulley or not.
Psi isn't the only factor, timing and other crap plays a huge roll, but I'm sure ( mostly) it's going to knock on 91
SmsAlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:40 AM   #7
tech4pdx
Make love

Drives: H8R.. Not really
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Fair enough. I agree that Evasive is legit. FWIW, I had similar concerns as you when I went from the 75mm to the 70mm Innovate pulley. My shop also expressed concern that the motor may be at higher risk. That's understandable, but I did it anyway and the results were surprisingly good. Boost preference on a supercharger is going to be different than on a turbo. The turbo guys almost always make more power on less boost. At the end of the day, it is going to be a choice based on risk assessment and aversion. Essentially we are all guinea pigs.
tech4pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tech4pdx For This Useful Post:
Pneub (10-30-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 02:30 AM   #8
Cal3000

Drives: Panda FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Wow. I got tuned by Evasive and they know their stuff. 12 psi? Have they done it on their car yet? They must be talking e85 for sure.
Delicious Tuning
Cal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:36 AM   #9
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Unless they have run 12 psi on your exact spec for extended periods then it's just nonsense. Boost pressure is not a generic mode of failure.
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ft_sjo For This Useful Post:
jamesm (10-30-2013)

Tags
boost, psi