follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
JrunkenC

Drives: SVT Focus, Corolla GTS, Chevy Vette
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ vs BRZ STi

Let's make some conservative predictions and say that the BRZ STi came out with bigger brakes, lighter wheels, 220hp and a little less weight. But lets also assume that the BRZ STi came out a year later (summer 2013) than the BRZ. Do you think it would be worth it to wait another year for the BRZ STi over the regular BRZ?
JrunkenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Depends on what you're looking for in a car. I figure they're going to slap at the very least another $5k onto the STI which I don't really want to pay. I'm ready to buy a car this year and so I'm going with the BRZ now, just have to decide whether I'm going Premium or Limited, which will depend solely on price.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
STI is still unofficial but after after showing 2 different concepts the intent to build is obvious pending success of the base model. My sights have been set on STI/TRD versions ever since hints were dropped about them. I'm not aching to dump $27k in a hurry; I'll wait for all my options to be laid out. With another year of saving I'll be able to afford more as well. I expect something good for it to be worthy of garnering the STI badge.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm very curious to see the STI...they promise weight reduction, which is nice to have from the factory. When you strip stuff out yourself and replace it, you are paying twice: Once for the originals, and one more time for the replacements.

I hope the engine gets something more than just exhaust replacement, because that would not really be worthwhile, and I would probably be itching to have stuff replaced. But then again, if you have the engine open and you're swapping out internals, might as well go all the way.

The STI probably will come with bigger wheels and brakes which I'm not sure are really necessary, but I guess wheels aren't too expensive to swap and having a spare set is a convenience of sorts. If the STI comes like 1 inch lower stock, that would be AWESOME. Perfect ride height IMO.

I also hope they don't try to add a massive wing, but I feel like this is going to be inevitable.

As long as they don't charge you 5000 dollars for an "STI" badge, mufflers, and some lightweight panels, I think the STI version would be worth considering. I hope they get it right and add better components in a way that makes the most sense from the factory. Better mufflers would be an example of a stupid upgrade, because the factory system will probably still suck. Lightweight body panels all around though? Yes please!
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Buggy51

Drives: Put Put
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I'm very curious to see the STI...they promise weight reduction, which is nice to have from the factory. When you strip stuff out yourself and replace it, you are paying twice: Once for the originals, and one more time for the replacements.

I hope the engine gets something more than just exhaust replacement, because that would not really be worthwhile, and I would probably be itching to have stuff replaced. But then again, if you have the engine open and you're swapping out internals, might as well go all the way.

The STI probably will come with bigger wheels and brakes which I'm not sure are really necessary, but I guess wheels aren't too expensive to swap and having a spare set is a convenience of sorts. If the STI comes like 1 inch lower stock, that would be AWESOME. Perfect ride height IMO.

I also hope they don't try to add a massive wing, but I feel like this is going to be inevitable.

As long as they don't charge you 5000 dollars for an "STI" badge, mufflers, and some lightweight panels, I think the STI version would be worth considering. I hope they get it right and add better components in a way that makes the most sense from the factory. Better mufflers would be an example of a stupid upgrade, because the factory system will probably still suck. Lightweight body panels all around though? Yes please!
:/ unfortunately the current STI pricing is roughly around that mark no? WRX -> STI is a bit... high lol.
Buggy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
blacknbean
Butterscotch Boss

Drives: 335i
i will go for the sti provided they do something to the engine that is not easily reproduced. something like a boss302 or type r, where they add diff cams and tuning that you cant/wont want to do to a new car. the suspension and weight can be modified easily so i wont be too impressed if it just weights less :/
blacknbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Even if the STI comes with just suspension, wheels, aero, and breather mods, I always end up doing those mods anyway. I'd love to spare myself the trouble so that once I drive the car off the lot, it's already DONE.

The First 86 cars may become appreciating assets if the winners preserve them and a cult following ensues. That would've been my only reason for registering on First 86 but I didn't because if I won, I knew I'd regret not giving myself the option of the better all around versions (STI). A completely stock BRZ STI could be just as highly desirable (if not more) 20 years from now. Or it ought to be more fun to wring out over a First 86.

I have a feeling the STI upgrade may be similar in proportion to the NISMO upgrade. Question: Has anyone here cross-shopped the 350z or 370z against their NISMO versions?
Old 01-25-2012, 03:29 AM   #8
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

^Yeah def. want bigger brakes. Makes a huge difference even for everyday safety.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
brufleth

Drives: 2007 WRX
As Buggy pointed out, they can really jack the price up when going to an STi. Every now and then I think about getting a WRX STi but then I look at the pricing. I'm very interested in trading my wife's Legacy in for a BRZ (we'd keep my WRX). I'm interested to see what the STi offering will be but I doubt it'll be worth what they'll ask for it (to me) and it'll probably have some big silly wing on it that I would have to get rid of too.
brufleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
delongedoug
Banned

Drives: 2.5 RS daily, Evo 8 track
Oh good, more decision making based on fabricated speculation.
delongedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
Hanzo

Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
^Yeah def. want bigger brakes. Makes a huge difference even for everyday safety.
Bigger brakes just adds more weight, if the car is light enough why put heavier brakes on there?
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
wcbjr

Drives: 2006 Subaru LGT
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Everyday safety? You doing top speed runs? If they can lock the tires or engage the ABS, then they are more than sufficient.
wcbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
The STi version will not be only slight upgrades. SOA does not slap the STi moniker on just anything. If i had to guess:

Brembos
Suspension
Turbo

At a minimum.

-mike

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.
AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Instead of saying "bigger" brakes a better word I should have said is "better" brakes. Better brakes w/ ABS is still better. The '03-'04 G35 sport package Brembo brakes were smaller than the non-branded G35 brakes that replaced them for '05-'07 but better because their pistons chomped down harder (a reason why '03-'04 are sought after by G35 shoppers which they nicknamed the "Brembo editions").